Options

The Liver Birds

2»

Comments

• Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Polly James has given up TV work, or retired.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it pronounced Lie-ver and not Liver ?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Liz Estensen...and the other girls who did their bit in TLB. Mollie Sugden was always a class act in whatever she did.
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I wonder if Polly James has given up TV work, or retired.

Looking at Polly and Nerys in The Liver Birds looking so young makes it hard to believe that they are both now 73 and Elizabeth Estenson is 65!
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Why is it pronounced Lie-ver and not Liver ?

Probably something to do with the famous Liver buildings
    They are pronounced Lyver
    Maybe Liverpool should be pronounced Lyverpool:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the original series , but they made a follow up series about 20 years later, and this must have been one of the worst programmes ever made. You had these two 40 somethings still going out on the pull each weekend. It just didn't work, I assume it was quickly dropped.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying these ones, squeltch! squeltch! squeltch! :D
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Well I watched the first one with Elizabeth Estensen and I'm not going to bother watching any more, its a shame Polly James decided to leave!

My sister and I used to love the episodes with Carol because her family (the Boswells) were funny - angry dad, mum always crying, Lucien and his rabbits.
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Lucien and his rabbits were brilliant. Not a programme for the South East of England.. Always way up ones arses
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Lucien and his rabbits were brilliant. I am sure people will mention the link to Thomas the Tank engine. I am not going to.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bumping this up as Carla Lane died last week and this is seen as her finest work. I'd say Birds was far better in the Polly James era as it was a bit like a female Likely Lads, them getting into scrapes and having relationship troubles, than the later ones that seemed to dwell too much on the Boswell family and Nerys Hughes becoming a vegetarian animal lover. That said any episode will bring a smile to your face and no one can forget the theme tune.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Didn't Michael Angelis keep rabbits in Boys from the Black Stuff too?
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Our Lucien (Michael Angelis) narrated Thomas the Tank Engine after Ringo Starr didn't want to do it any more. Which is funny because his brother Paul was Ringo's speaking voice in the Yellow Submarine film.

When Michael stopped narrating, he was replaced by Roger McGough, who was previously in a band with Paul McCartney's brother Mike, called The Scaffold. They wrote and sang the theme tune to The Liver Birds.
    It was all very incestuous back then.
  • Options
    tim123tim123 Posts: 3,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Michael stopped narrating, he was replaced by Roger McGough, who was previously in a band with Paul McCartney's brother Mike, called The Scaffold. They wrote and sang the theme tune to The Liver Birds.
    It was all very incestuous back then.

I think that's a bit unfair

McGough was a name in his own right back then.

and McGear deliberately pertformed under a different name in order NOT to take advantage of his brother's fame
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    tim123 wrote: »
    I think that's a bit unfair

McGough was a name in his own right back then.

and McGear deliberately pertformed under a different name in order NOT to take advantage of his brother's fame

I wasn't suggesting nepotism/favouritism. Just pointing out that so much of the talent coming out of Merseyside in the 60s & 70s, seemed to be connected.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Along with Butterflies, about the only half-decent thing Carla Laine ever wrote.

For me Butterflies was the only half decent thing she wrote. It was the 2 stellar leads that made it. The Liver Birds was mediocre at best and Bread was even worse.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    Looking at Polly and Nerys in The Liver Birds looking so young makes it hard to believe that they are both now 73 and Elizabeth Estenson is 65!

A photo of Nerys in todays paper at Carla's funeral, she is looking her age, not unexpected, but she was gorgeous when young.