Derek - The Special

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I gave up on the series but the MoS give it 5 STARS.

TONIGHT (Mon) 10.00pm Ch4

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I will be watching.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

If it's anything like the shit clip involving Kev and his family in hospital then I'd imagine it'll be naff. Series 2 was poor because he kept focuising on Kev and all the stupid sexual innuendos. It got so I would turn off.
    It seemed to become a caricature of itself.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member

If the Mail On Sunday gave it five stars then it must be good.

I'm positively soiling myself in anticipation
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    last series was ok. it's a bit too depressing at times though.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first series was great but he lost his way last time out, hopefully he can at least cap it off with style. Some will never be happy with anything he does, but I think Ricky knows better than to try and please everyone, some are just terminally miserable.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    last series was ok. it's a bit too depressing at times though.

Apparently this one isn't. It's quite the opposite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Mail On Sunday gave it five stars then it must be good.

I'm positively soiling myself in anticipation

Have you had disagreements with the MoS over their recommendations before?
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    If it's anything like the shit clip involving Kev and his family in hospital then I'd imagine it'll be naff. Series 2 was poor because he kept focuising on Kev and all the stupid sexual innuendos. It got so I would turn off.
    It seemed to become a caricature of itself.

I agree. I watched the pilot and the first series and really enjoyed it. Watched the first two episodes of the last series and then gave up on it.

Personally I think it was the loss of Karl Pilkingtons character that spoiled the show. Every character was an unbeliveable caricature except Karl's, who was the voice of reason and highlighted the absuredness of the show or at the very least grounded the show int some sort of reality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I watched the pilot and the first series and really enjoyed it. Watched the first two episodes of the last series and then gave up on it.

Personally I think it was the loss of Karl Pilkingtons character that spoiled the show. Every character was an unbeliveable caricature except Karl's, who was the voice of reason and highlighted the absuredness of the show or at the very least grounded the show int some sort of reality.

I hadn't realised Karl had left. How come he did?
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised Karl had left. How come he did?

He didn't like the life of a actor
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    He didn't like the life of a actor

...and is now well enough off that he can pick and choose what he does.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    One way of improving this programme would be to strip out all the dross (I.e. - everything) and just have the show be about Kev.

From the very first episode of this, I have thought that Ricky Gervais is taking the piss with this programme - seeing what crap he can get away with. "I love getting qualifications now, I used to think I couldn't do anything". Yeah, fascinating luv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    One way of improving this programme would be to strip out all the dross (I.e. - everything) and just have the show be about Kev.

It's a little early to be getting carried away on the festive spirit. Kev coming to the fore was one of the reasons why season two fell flat, and so far it looks like this might be going the same way.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »
    It's a little early to be getting carried away on the festive spirit. Kev coming to the fore was one of the reasons why season two fell flat, and so far it looks like this might be going the same way.

I cannot stand that character. Disgusting and spoils the show for me.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after her pep talk i would want that special brew right away.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    They got away with 3 "C" words! Take note ITV!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he never managed to get back to the magic of the first series, and that's a shame. It's also a shame that that was pretty much a waste of an hour, he just told us again how great Derek is, but he's told us that before. We learnt all we needed to about the character in one series, there was no need for two and a bit.
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    "Sometimes it is jelly which is cold, and
    sometimes it is crumble which is hot".
    :D:D
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A solid episode and a nice way to round things off. :)

I know the Kev character has wound a lot of people up (!) but I thought it was a decent ending to his story. Derek himself was maybe the weakest thing about it, though only cause there was nothing else to do with him really. His 'date' wasn't as funny as it could have been.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this on plus one.

The best thing about this show was the mickey taking website about it, but I can't remember what its called ?

Anyone remember, something like "Derek's Wisdom" or "Derek's Kindness" (very vaguely).
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    I like Ricky Gervais but he seems to have really lost his way with Derek, although Life's Too Short was also poor.

Derek is overly sentimental, mawkish, trite and worst of all it's not funny, not entertaining and doesn't have a point,
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't watch it much but two questions Is Derek being cared for in there??., Why is the one with the long hair and glasses there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the Office, Loved Extras. Loved his Live stand-up DVDs.

Hate Derek. Hate it with a passion. It actually annoys me that people believe Gervais' guff about the show bringing sentiment to the funnies. It's forced. It was an obvious attempt by Gervais to counter the critics that his shows were one-note (Especially after Life's Too Short).

He claims that the show is about not forgetting that old people exist and have feelings etc', yet the residents of the care home itself, are only there to provide the butt of jokes or to offer up a random monologue about something they once did.

In attempting to create a cynical free show, he's accidentally produced one of the most cynical shows ever to grace British TV screens.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree that Derek never recovered from Karl leaving. Still an enjoyable hour but a good time for it to end.

I look forward to Gervais' next project and the vitriolic reaction it will no doubt engender on here.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen an episode of Derek to be honest, I could never work whether Ricky Gervais was showing genuine compassion for these type of characters or taking the piss.