Team GB's Lisa Dobriskey - "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field".

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    cath99 wrote: »
    No difference at all in highlighting that some people are cheating. Lisa ran an awful race, she's said as much herself, but people in her event are cheating and she commented on it.

If I recall, Kelly Sotherton was given the exact same criticism about "only" coming 5th in Beijing.

If they use poor tactics & allow themselves to get boxed in, then they only have themselves to blame when they get criticised. It's not as if the race was a fast one either. In fact is was the complete opposite.
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    Wow. people seem to think it's okay for people to cheat so long as they lose. And if they don't lose, it's the clean athlete's fault for not trying hard enough.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,207
    Forum Member
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    It's the same with Ben Johnson though. He failed a drug test but when he was clean he was still good. Roids may give you a slight edge because they give you that ability to train harder and longer. So that will give you an edge. I agree it is cheating but to be honest If athletes like Bolt and David Rudisha can run like that without drugs you are already up against it. Lisa Dobriskey should take it on the chin. Look at Jessica Ennis and Moh Farah and know that it can be done.

But the problem is that it seems not everyone is "clean" - and I think there need to be harsher sanctions for those who are caught cheating
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    If they use poor tactics & allow themselves to get boxed in, then they only have themselves to blame when they get criticised. It's not as if the race was a fast one either. In fact is was the complete opposite.

We're talking about diferent things. I will criticise Lisa for running an awful awful race. She had a chance at a medal and ran possibly the worst race she could have done.

But criticise her for speaking out against drug cheats - like Kelly Holmes, Paula radcliffe and Kelly Sotherton have (and were given much of the same short shrift as you're giving |Lisa). No, I won't do that.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    But the problem is that it seems not everyone is "clean" - and I think there need to be harsher sanctions for those who are caught cheating

Agreed.

There is only 1 meaningful sanction for drug cheats. and that is a LIFETIME ban.

Anything else is a tacit acceptance that cheating is ok so long as you dont get caught.
    Forum Member
    The Radio 5Live interviewer who posted the comments Lisa made, has clarrified that they were discussing the state of middle distance running with regards to drugs (many many people caust, others returning from bans, other eyebwor raising perfomances) and asked Lisa what she thought. That's when she made her comment. She wasn't using it as an excuse in any way, shape or form.
    Forum Member
    We're talking about diferent things. I will criticise Lisa for running an awful awful race. She had a chance at a medal and ran possibly the worst race she could have done.

But criticise her for speaking out against drug cheats - like Kelly Holmes, Paula radcliffe and Kelly Sotherton have (and were given much of the same short shrift as you're giving |Lisa). No, I won't do that.

Absolutely - if you were taking a test that decided who out of you and your rival got a job, how would you feel if you had put the work in beforehand and got a lower mark than someone who had had cheated and got a higher mark and therefore the job
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Agreed.

There is only 1 meaningful sanction for drug cheats. and that is a LIFETIME ban.

Anything else is a tacit acceptance that cheating is ok so long as you dont get caught.

Thankyou

However if you can prove you have been set up - i.e something has been contaminated then yes the benefit of the doubt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Agreed.

Agreed. As I said yesterday both the women's 1500m winner and women's hammer winner are former drugs cheats. You are hardly sending out a good message or going to stop other athletes from cheating if people know they can still come back and win the biggest prize in the sport :rolleyes:. If anything you are pushing more athletes down the path of thinking they need to cheat to succeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am into Health and Fitness myself and a regular gym goer and honestly the whole thing with 'performance enhancing' suppliments and drugs is a whole grey area. Roids stay in your system for years. I personaly don't touch em and I don't even waste my money on protein shakes. They are just a gimmick. Nothing wrong with a tub of cottage cheese, tuna fish, fruit and a healthy diet :). Some countries are so strict their tests include roids that are found in prescription medication which is ridiculous.. WHat If I am an athlete and I break my shoulder? I would more than likely take drugs that contain roids to help me heal quicker.

As soon as people hear 'drugs' they think the athletes are taking Coke like Maradona. If that was the case the runner would probably drop dead of a heart attack.

I just think she should be more humble. To get to the Olympics is an acheivement in itself.
    Forum Member
    I am into Health and Fitness myself and a regular gym goer and honestly the whole thing with 'performance enhancing' suppliments and drugs is a whole grey area. Roids stay in your system for years. I personaly don't touch em and I don't even waste my money on protein shakes. They are just a gimmick. Nothing wrong with a tub of cottage cheese, tuna fish, fruit and a healthy diet :). Some countries are so strict their tests include roids that are found in prescription medication which is ridiculous.. WHat If I am an athlete and I break my shoulder? I would more than likely take drugs that contain roids to help me heal quicker.

As soon as people hear 'drugs' they think the athletes are taking Coke like Maradona. If that was the case the runner would probably drop dead of a heart attack.

I just think she should be more humble. To get to the Olympics is an acheivement in itself.

Yes but is it fair that in her final there was a returnee for a positive drugs test. In other words someone who had cheated. The question I would be asking is how can a positive doper be trusted not to do it again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but is it fair that in her final there was a returnee for a positive drugs test. In other words someone who had cheated. The question I would be asking is how can a positive doper be trusted not to do it again

I have not payed much attention to the 1500M. Was the person in question banned and disqualified? They should have been. I believe all the athletes are tested so at the end of the day Lisa Dobriskey would not have been in the medals anyway. So what that tells us is that she is a moaner.

If an athlete tests positive for drugs I am sure the board keeps a close eye on them when they return to the sport and they get tested again. Ben Johnson is still classed as one of the greatest runners of all time and Maradona is classed as one of the greatest football players of all time. At the end of the day it is talent that makes athletes great and not performance enhancing drugs. I could start training for the 100Ms now, for the next olympics and take roids to enhance my performance but in 4 years time Bolt is still going to leave me for dead and in fact I'll probably be last. So at the end of the day it comes down to talent and hard work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member

Wtf?? I don't think anyone thinks that!
    Forum Member
    I am into Health and Fitness myself and a regular gym goer and honestly the whole thing with 'performance enhancing' suppliments and drugs is a whole grey area. Roids stay in your system for years.

Not really. Some flush out very quickly -it depends on what their half life is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf?? I don't think anyone thinks that!

You would be surprised and roids do stay in your system for years. You have a pretty naive opinion of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't of mattered how Lisa ran last night, she simple isn't in good enough shape at the moment and thats understandable considering shes suffered from blood clots on her lunges this year. She did brilliantly to make the team and even better to reach the final IMO.

As for her comments, I agree with her, the winner wasn't the only one that has served a ban. Tatyana Tomashova who came in about 5th/6th has also served a ban and was someone Kelly Holmes suspected long before she was caught I believe.
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I can't understand is why would a federation allow someone to compete when they have been done for drugs - is it all about medals

Going to be interesting as Seb Coe is favourite to take over as President of International Athletics in next couple of years. His views on the doping issue are well known.
    Forum Member
    You would be surprised and roids do stay in your system for years. You have a pretty naive opinion of people.

No they don't.

Dianabol is 95% gone in a day and down to trace quantities within 2 days.

Anavar and Stanazolol only need 3 or 4 days to be reduced down to trace quantities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I really like Dobby. She is very honest about her performances, good or bad. She always gives a good interview, which is something I look forward to as it makes it less cringe worthy than some others who underperform. She had a good heat but got the tactics wrong in the last 800. Slow or fast you have to put yourself in the right place to have a chance. Dobby didn't do that and can't complain. However, she is more than entitled to comment on anti-doping policy. There are different grades of doping so there needs to be appropriate grades of punishment but you can't blame an ex-doping cheat if they win clean: the fault lies with the IOC and governing bodies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't of mattered how Lisa ran last night, she simple isn't in good enough shape at the moment and thats understandable considering shes suffered from blood clots on her lunges this year. She did brilliantly to make the team and even better to reach the final IMO.
    My feelings exactly. I was surprised how well she did, all things considered. I don't think she deserves some of the criticism she's has about her performance on this forum but then most of those people seem clueless about her history.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Every time I see a Russian, Ukrainian or Belorussian woman win a middle distance or distance race easily, I can't help but wonder if they're on EPO or something. So many have been caught doping in recent years. They just don't have the rigorous testing that western countries have and I suspect that their governments will turn a blind eye given half a chance. Of course America was no better in the 80s but at least it seems to have sorted itself out a bit.
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Every time I see a Russian, Ukrainian or Belorussian woman win a middle distance or distance race easily, I can't help but wonder if they're on EPO or something. So many have been caught doping in recent years. They just don't have the rigorous testing that western countries have and I suspect that their governments will turn a blind eye given half a chance. Of course America was no better in the 80s but at least it seems to have sorted itself out a bit.

You didn't watch the 4X100m then!
    Forum Member
    An interesting article which might explain a bit more why Lisa's comments weren't necceesarily about performing poorly in the final, but showing her general frustration at the 1500m. She has clearly been robbed of medals in the past. Something needs to be done, both 1500m finals left a very sour taste - in what was once the blue ribband event.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/london-2012-olympics-turkish-delight-or-doubt/
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    An interesting article which might explain a bit more why Lisa's comments weren't necceesarily about performing poorly in the final, but showing her general frustration at the 1500m. She has clearly been robbed of medals in the past. Something needs to be done, both 1500m finals left a very sour taste - in what was once the blue ribband event.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/london-2012-olympics-turkish-delight-or-doubt/
    Yeah, saw this linked to on Twitter. I spend a lot of time telling people here and elsewhere that not all athletes are on drugs but these sorts of shenanigans don't help. Athletics should introduced a system similar to swimming in that if 4 or 5? athletes from one nation all fail tests within a specific time frame, all their athletes are banned for a period and the dopers much longer. Otherwise what will encourage countries like Turkey and Morocco to clean up their acts. Problem is that even big nations like Russia and the US could be affected and such bans would effectively end track and field as a popular sport.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they don't.

Dianabol is 95% gone in a day and down to trace quantities within 2 days.

Anavar and Stanazolol only need 3 or 4 days to be reduced down to trace quantities.

Isn't the argument how long the performance-enhancing effects continue after the drugs have left the body?