Post here if you liked Doctor Who tonight!

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having now watched this for the second time, I think it's probably in my top 5 new series episodes. The script was excellent and it was an original self-contained adventure with some excellent characters, some of the best visuals the show has ever had, and incorporated various elements of classic Who all in one episode. The premise of the story could easily have formed the basis for a Pertwee/Tom Baker episode but the resolve was uniquely Matt's, and showed further depth to his portrayal.

I'm convinced that anyone who disliked this episode was watching the wrong channel by mistake. Near-perfect IMO and on a par with Blink and the Doctor's Wife as far as new Who goes.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this episode too :) Visually lovely and deep themes to ponder over. Normally I don't enjoy the stories with children in the leads as much as other but I really liked it.

Had references to lots of films I enjoy such as Star Wars, Blade Runner. I even thought of Dune too.
    :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Haven't seen it myself, but judging by the Twitter feed as many people enjoyed it as didnt. Honestly I love DW but some of its fans are downright scary with their hate. My own philosphy is that no show runner owes you anything, if people are unhappy with a direction of a show, take a break and move on. Moffat/Smith will be gone soon and a new crew will take over.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt's 'Come OOOOOONNNNNN then!' was straight out of The Eleventh Hour. Another catchphrase developing? :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he got some stuff out of his system so it was good for him.Plus I liked how he got Claras mums ring back.Trailer for next week is good too.Wonder if there will be any refrences to hunt for red october or crimson tide.:p:D:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two bits of dialogue from Matt really stood out - firstly the bit about Merry being unique, and the second when adressing the sun. Both were simply stunning and superbly acted. The first reminded us that The Doctor is a scientist, while the second had subtle atheist undertones (a recurring theme in the Moffat era - remember River's line about being a soldier too long to believe in a god). Both could have come out of the mouth of a eminent scientist such as Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins. Plus the speech when addressing the sun was among the most passionate speeches by any Doctor ever. Rather than David Tennant whiny emo speeches, this came across as genuine, real hurt. And I loved the nod to Bladerunner!!!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two bits of dialogue from Matt really stood out - firstly the bit about Merry being unique, and the second when adressing the sun. Both were simply stunning and superbly acted. The first reminded us that The Doctor is a scientist, while the second had subtle atheist undertones (a recurring theme in the Moffat era - remember River's line about being a soldier too long to believe in a god). Both could have come out of the mouth of a eminent scientist such as Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins. Plus the speech when addressing the sun was among the most passionate speeches by any Doctor ever. Rather than David Tennant whiny emo speeches, this came across as genuine, real hurt. And I loved the nod to Bladerunner!!!

I agree...except I'm pretty sure Akhaten was a planet, not a star.
    It certainly looked like a star though sometimes, but at others it was definitely a planet. I thought it was some kind of gas giant (hence the rings).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...except I'm pretty sure Akhaten was a planet, not a star.
    It certainly looked like a star though sometimes, but at others it was definitely a planet. I thought it was some kind of gas giant (hence the rings).

Phew. That clears up the one issue that I had with the episode - that the Doctor has left the other planets without a sun! Thanks for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it, far more than I thought I would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it a second time this morning...this episode is beautiful....and i love that some of you guys have sad "up there with Blink, Doctors Wife status" because it feels near enough that for me....I mean when i saw it the first time its got this kinda dark glow about it (if that makes sense) yes like Dune and the films of that kinda trippy/Sci-Fi stature....i love that.

And Matt...i bloody adore that man he is definitely over the course of three years proven many times over why he is my Favorite...and there he was again :)

Plus the stunts i loved too in the Pyramid with the Vigil were expertly done! I just loved it....like on the same level as i loved Bells but for different reasons....and yes the script, cast, direction was top...again :D

And i cannot wait for COld War.....i have a feeling that with Hide being Neil Cross first episode he wrote may see something further ahead maybe which is why they were filmed/aired in this order maybe??
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I loved it. Just watched it for the second time and it's one of my four favourite episodes.

Beautiful, moving, uplifting. Just wonderful TV.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the acting was great from the doctor and Clara. I really like Clara as a companion. It wasn't a classic episode for me, the story was a bit of a let down but it was defiantly enjoyable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew. That clears up the one issue that I had with the episode - that the Doctor has left the other planets without a sun! Thanks for that!

yeah it was a possesed gas giant planet. I did have that thought myself though, the fact that it was called Akhaten... than the planets were the Ri.gs of Akhaten should have made me realise sooner... maybe not making it look so firey initially would have helped... or the doctor calling it a sun... dammit... now I'm confused again... a third watch might clear that up... I've already changed my mind on second viewing though it's gone from average to above average... not quite good though for me.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still like it after the second time.

Also loving the 'ring' double meaning in the title. (And for that matter, the juxtaposition of Bells and Rings with the first two titles.) :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a bump, but did anyone like tonight's offering? I loved it. I wouldn't go as far to say that all 13 seconds were flawless. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the middle and perhaps the odd misstep at the end, but that's because it seemed a bit rushed, could have used an extra act... even if it was already a two-parter. I hate to say it, but the next-time trailer was possibly the best part!

Ian Hislop and Paul Merton as guest Doctors! Lovely stuff.