Day Of The Triffids (1981)

GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
This fine adaptation begins a repeat run on BBC 4 on Sunday 23rd November, beginning at 8pm. They are showing two on Sunday. Not sure if that will continue.

Anyway, if you've not seen it, I recommend it. Slightly ropey effects aside, it's excellent.

Watch and then realise just how bloody awful the Eddie Izzard attempt was.

Comments

• timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is the John Duttine one, I have it
    on DVD. Re the Eddie Izzard one, yes it
    was awful,but Eddie was about the best
    thing in it!
    I blamed the whole piss poor fiasco on
    Dougray and the woman who was his
    GF,who had NO chemistry whatsoever
    between them,and a piss poor script and
    director!
    But yes,the Duttine one is true to,if not
    the book itself,at least to the SPIRIT of
    the book!
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC ruined the remake of this like Gulftastic said, they also ruined the remake of Survivors.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This does get repeated from time to time.

I must have watched, and forced, at first at least, the kids to sit thriugh it, a good half dozen times.

Always worth revisiting.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The trouble with 4:3 ratio programmes is that when you set a timer for the show, you end up recording a bit of the 16:9 part which upsets the ratio the programme is recorded in.

There doesn't seem to be a way to set the time to start when the 4:3 ratio starts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Can't you see I'm blind" :eek:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Which recorder is that? Can't say I have that problem with any recorder I use.

Been debating whether to watch this again this time around. I seem to recall it was not brilliant especially with changes to the storyline from the book towards the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which recorder is that? Can't say I have that problem with any recorder I use.

Been debating whether to watch this again this time around. I seem to recall it was not brilliant especially with changes to the storyline from the book towards the end.

The Humax HDR.

It is not a problem when watching on the HDR, but if I try to convert the file to an MP4 I have to make sure I set the right Aspect ratio flag or else it comes out as a 16:9 stretched image.

I'm recording the HD version (probably upscaled though)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone help the blind in this scenario?

I'd avoid them at first.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone help the blind in this scenario?

I'd avoid them at first.

It depends. Are Girls Aloud blind?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It depends. Are Girls Aloud blind?

No but you'd have to be. ;)

Only joking.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh be fair - 3 of them have or had a certain appeal.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't help those football fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Oh be fair - 3 of them have or had a certain appeal.....

I'd help them out if they all became blind.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I might watch this. My Mum says it was a good version. She also enjoyed the book. I liked the BBC Radio 4 drama version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also who isn't sure about watching a meteor shower, just in case they go blind?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also who isn't sure about watching a meteor shower, just in case they go blind?

I still get nervous about it.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Well seems like you not only go blind if you watch a meteor shower, you become evil too. :o
    Almost got my zombie fix watching this :D
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed that. It's the first time that I've seen it since I was a kid in the 80's, when I found it absolutely terrifying. It still kinda is-certainly captures that eerie post-disaster desertedness in a way later perfected by 28 Days Later. The soundtrack adds to the tension and sense of foreboding.

Of course the effects are dated, but that's unavoidable and easy enough to ignore. Besides, it's offset by the fact that beards like that are now back in style!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Yes, I might watch this. My Mum says it was a good version. She also enjoyed the book. I liked the BBC Radio 4 drama version.

That is often repeated on Radio 4 Extra
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything with John Duttine in is quality. I used to watch Lame Ducks with Lorraine Chase too.

JD turned up at my local supermarket shopping away one time with, I presume, his wife.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this.

It was quite chilling - and was probably the better for a low budget. I can't bear overblown CGI and focus on special effects. This was more about confusion and terror.

The blind people were very sinister and John Duttine was excellent. So much time allowed to build up a character thanks to the focus on the script.

Looking forward to next week.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I loved this way back when it was first shown, it really scared me as a 13 year old, and I've not seen it since.

I was delighted to find that I still loved the production. Yes the Triffids themselves weren't the most convincing, but the conviction of the actors and the sheer sense of dread that the show builds up overcomes this.

I loved the slow pace and the almost documentary approach to the location filming. And, oddly, despite the fact that very little actually happened in part one I found that half an hour absolutely whizzed by. In fact, although part two had more going on, I still couldn't believe that an hour had elapsed. I found it to still be gripping and tense and the shots of deserted London were wonderfully eerie.

I watched last night with my 16 year old daughter - a fan of all things sci-fi/ fantasy - and she enjoyed it too. She found it a bit slow, but was gripped nonetheless - she was fascinated by the very understated presentation. There was very little music, especially compared to today's TV. But used sparingly the music and sound effects were superbly scary and unsettling. Even the titles were freaky and disturbing. It's also interesting to see people smoking, without it being a Big Deal. It's easy to forget how commonplace smoking was. And that jump suit that Emma Relph was wearing! Very Sheena Easton...

Anyway, I loved it. And I'm so looking forward to the rest.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Well I loved this way back when it was first shown, it really scared me as a 13 year old, and I've not seen it since.

I was delighted to find that I still loved the production. Yes the Triffids themselves weren't the most convincing, but the conviction of the actors and the sheer sense of dread that the show builds up overcomes this.

I loved the slow pace and the almost documentary approach to the location filming. And, oddly, despite the fact that very little actually happened in part one I found that half an hour absolutely whizzed by. In fact, although part two had more going on, I still couldn't believe that an hour had elapsed. I found it to still be gripping and tense and the shots of deserted London were wonderfully eerie.

I watched last night with my 16 year old daughter - a fan of all things sci-fi/ fantasy - and she enjoyed it too. She found it a bit slow, but was gripped nonetheless - she was fascinated by the very understated presentation. There was very little music, especially compared to today's TV. But used sparingly the music and sound effects were superbly scary and unsettling. Even the titles were freaky and disturbing. It's also interesting to see people smoking, without it being a Big Deal. It's easy to forget how commonplace smoking was. And that jump suit that Emma Relph was wearing! Very Sheena Easton...

Anyway, I loved it. And I'm so looking forward to the rest.

That was it exactly!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC Dave Quinnan as one of the football gang, Domenica Van Meyer as one of the blind gang trying to get at Bill and Jo.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the TV shows I saw as a kid, this is the one that I always remember cause it terrified me and made me hide behind the sofa. Doctor Who was nothing on this! Am going to have to watch this on iPlayer now......