Is the lack of hype surrounding Big Brother largely irreversible?

Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
I know a lot of people think live feed, a good set of housemates and a return to the 'old style BB episodes' would bring viewers back, but is the hype surrounding the show largely irreversible? I've spoken to a lot of people in real life who are casual viewers at the most, who have said that the format has become so repeated and that they were so into it at the start but due to the over repetitiveness, it's just become same old, same old

What is your opinion on the matter?

Comments

• SSL2010SSL2010 Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless it has a mega advertising campaign, billboards in major city's/stations and cross channel promo on itv. Then probably not.

When five done the mega promo 3 years ago it brought in over 5million viewers on launch night.
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think they have dropped the ball.

If and it is a big if big brother returns to tv the channel would need to address the many issues that was bb15.

The annoying thing is no announcement from channel 5 .

The American owned Viacom may just conclude that the figures don't add up - look how many tv series have been cancelled in U.S. after one season because of poor viewing figures.

If its a choice of , as Viacom's ceo hinted cross promotion of other Viacom shows like geordie shore , I would prefer to watch bb Australia or bb Canada instead.
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there isnt a lack of hype
    there is a "window" of marketing opportunity. and it is crowded.
    there is no point in any show trying to push itself outside the "window" because the message will be "lost" - viewers would be confused in hearing of something not on when something else is on.

the first C5 years suffered a knock on from the "bored" c4 days because they pushed sister media on viewers that competed with the owners of websites like this magazines and of course the "core" newspapers of sun/mirror/mail. they were not going to push a show that then advertised their competition unless it "had to be in their coverage" - that happened with secrets and lies and the media was far more friendly

c5 is no longer part of a company competing with Hearst / news corp etc... and it's sister groups are more likely to be friendly not foes to the media looking for easy stories (like the ones x-factor & celeb get me out produce).

as long as CBB has a "wow" it will do fine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there isnt a lack of hype
    there is a "window" of marketing opportunity. and it is crowded.
    there is no point in any show trying to push itself outside the "window" because the message will be "lost" - viewers would be confused in hearing of something not on when something else is on.

the first C5 years suffered a knock on from the "bored" c4 days because they pushed sister media on viewers that competed with the owners of websites like this magazines and of course the "core" newspapers of sun/mirror/mail. they were not going to push a show that then advertised their competition unless it "had to be in their coverage" - that happened with secrets and lies and the media was far more friendly

c5 is no longer part of a company competing with Hearst / news corp etc... and it's sister groups are more likely to be friendly not foes to the media looking for easy stories (like the ones x-factor & celeb get me out produce).

as long as CBB has a "wow" it will do fine

Do you mean Hearst group who own Digital Spy have an interest in who bids for big brother uk?

More reason to make an announcement unless negotiations are still ongoing.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has been monumentally mishandled from BB8 onwards, so much so that it will never regain it's former lustre.
  • TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    I think a big reason behind BB's diminishing returns is that it's such a huge investment for viewers; back when the hype was there, people really wanted to watch daily, but now it's a massive barrier for entry.

Even CBB is twice the length of the Apprentice in terms of episodes and requires viewing for a few weeks solid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a big reason behind BB's diminishing returns is that it's such a huge investment for viewers; back when the hype was there, people really wanted to watch daily, but now it's a massive barrier for entry.

Even CBB is twice the length of the Apprentice in terms of episodes and requires viewing for a few weeks solid.

That's a very good point, and not often referenced when the show is discussed. When I decided not to watch BB15 I did find it hard after all these years, but I was relieved as well. It really does take over your life for months to watch a full-length series; even more so if you watch live feed as well. I remember people posting about sleeping with it on so they would wake up if any drama happened. you can do it if you are really, really into the programme, but it can easily feel like far too much of a commitment if you are wavering.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's stale.
    I could elaborate but there's no need really. :blush:
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    Do you mean Hearst group who own Digital Spy have an interest in who bids for big brother uk?

More reason to make an announcement unless negotiations are still ongoing.

no... but their magazines competed with n&s magazines... so why cover it as heavily as they used to etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no... but their magazines competed with n&s magazines... so why cover it as heavily as they used to etc

Good point.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's going to be very hard to turn the civilian BB ratings around...but the Celeb version still has potential for growth.

I think Celeb BB would be wise to take a leaf out of the 'I'm a Celebrity/'Strictly' book and slowly do official reveals of contestants for a week or two leading up to the show, with a full reveal/photo set a day or two before launch.

People tend to like official confirmation in advance in regards to who is appearing on celeb reality shows these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    I think Celeb BB would be wise to take a leaf out of the 'I'm a Celebrity/'Strictly' book and slowly do official reveals of contestants for a week or two leading up to the show, with a full reveal/photo set a day or two before launch.
    People tend to like official confirmation in advance in regards to who is appearing on celeb reality shows these days.
    This.
    They could easily use this to extend the buzz period - fed and controlled gossip for a month, before a two week slow reveal of most (not all) the housemates would be good.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    I quite like that the line-up is never confirmed until the launch. It's unique to CBB and does keep the audience guessing, and it gives the live launch a special buzz.

It's one of the few reality shows that kicks off live, so I think they should continue to play to that strength!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Shortening the civillian show was a plus. 9 or 10 weeks is enough - a shame they went back to throwing in extra housemates this year.

But they are extending the next CBB. Probably a bad move.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I quite like that the line-up is never confirmed until the launch. It's unique to CBB and does keep the audience guessing, and it gives the live launch a special buzz.

It's one of the few reality shows that kicks off live, so I think they should continue to play to that strength!

It's a nice buzz for the hardcore BB audience.. but not the masses.

When CBB was popular they could get away with just the speculation and launch night reveals..but the show isn't popular enough to get a wider audience these days without the help of the press. Early reveals could help massively in building press coverage and show hype (even if the signings are pretty weak).
  • Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American networks are ruthless when it comes to axings and obsessed with ratings above all else.

Viacom will cancel UK BB late next year after BB16 brings in poor ratings.

Then there'll be a few year's hiatus and BB will be 'rebooted' to great fanfare sometime around 2019-2020 to coincide with the 20th anniversary

Victor Ebuwa will be presenting the spin-off/discussion show.

bookmark this post. My predictions are always accurate
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    American networks are ruthless when it comes to axings and obsessed with ratings above all else.

Viacom will cancel UK BB late next year after BB16 brings in poor ratings.

Then there'll be a few year's hiatus and BB will be 'rebooted' to great fanfare sometime around 2019-2020 to coincide with the 20th anniversary

Victor Ebuwa will be presenting the spin-off/discussion show.

bookmark this post. My predictions are always accurate

Emma was my fave.
  • Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Emma was my fave.

mine too. I never get tired of seeing that tray hit her head... :kitty: