Options

Dexter Season 7 - UK Pace, no spoilers!!

Comments

• Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've never been that keen on Deb, though they have toned her down a lot in the last couple of seasons.
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Deb's acceptance of Dex was a bit quick and calm for her! She didn't seem shaken for long after discovering that her brother is a mass murderer. Anyone else think so?
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the deb character never seems to smile that often for me,always stressed & looking really down..a few smiles hopefully in the future,makes her character a little more human.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    I thought Deb's acceptance of Dex was a bit quick and calm for her! She didn't seem shaken for long after discovering that her brother is a mass murderer. Anyone else think so?

I think the reason is that she pretty much knew (but didn't want to admit) that Dexter was a serial killer as soon as she saw him kill Travis.

When she confronted Dex about whether he was a serial killer it was really more about Deb herself coming to terms with what she already knew deep down.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason is that she pretty much knew (but didn't want to admit) that Dexter was a serial killer as soon as she saw him kill Travis.

When she confronted Dex about whether he was a serial killer it was really more about Deb herself coming to terms with what she already knew deep down.

Spot on. She was as disgusted with herself for missing the obvious as she was with him being a killer. Hence the 'serial killers anonymous' course she's putting Dexter on.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Longer. There was a flashback to her on the Ice Truck Killer's slab which showed she was conscious for some of Dexter's conversation with his brother. She must have suppressed the memory, figuring she was confused by being drugged, but the memory came back after seeing Travis killed. At some level she's known since season 1.

Also, I think she may be a bit quicker to recover because she's a policewoman who is more used to dealing with these kinds of crimes. She has never let it cripple her, but gets on with dealing with it and catching the perpetrator. And she's had a few days to get used to it now.

Arguably she is still not firing on all cylinders. She's not asked Dexter for some basic details. Such as a list of all his kills, and what his method was. If she had, she'd know Travis is not his most recent kill, which would shock her and would let her know her department is wasting its time looking for Victor. She should also know that he used tranquilliser (which she should remember from the Bay Harbour Butcher case), and might guess he just used it on her. This could just be lazy writing, but it could be that she's not asked because she doesn't want to know. She's still not engaging with it properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So idle speculation:

Since the beginning of Dexter, Dex has either consciously or unconsciously been looking for a "partner in crime"

S1 Ice Truck Killer.
    S2 Lila the slapper
    S3 DA Miguel
    S4 Trinity
    S5 Lumen
    S6 Travis (maybe?)

So will Debra ultimately become Dexter's partner in crime?

Unless she's killed off, surely she'll have to start killing with Dex (or at least enabling him to kill?)

It's going to be fascinating to see where the show goes over the rest of S7 and S8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past Dexter has acted as police, judge, jury and executioner. It would make sense to me if Debs took over the judge and jury roles. He wouldn't be allowed to kill without her permission, and he'd have to prove both that the victim qualified under Harry's Code, and also that the normal legal procedure couldn't be used. Having a second pair of eyes examine Dexter's evidence would help prevent mistakes, as have happened in the past.

It ought to reassure Deb, but in practice I suspect she wouldn't want to be so involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode of Dexter again last night. Jennifer Carpenter is coming into her own this season.

There's very much an added sense of drama now whenever Deb is in harm's way because you never know if they are killing her off in order to preserve Dex's secret.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series has been brilliant so far.

I take it that Debs has stopped wanting to have sex with Dexter.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    This series has been brilliant so far.

I think what she has learnt about Dexter has put those feelings on ice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    That scene with her in the bath suggested otherwise to me. It looked like she dreamed of Dexter proposing marriage to her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Thought the last episode was a big step up and hopefully back on track now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with last nights episode, I'm enjoying this Season much more than the last. It seems to have found its heart again, for the first time since Rita died, and last nights was gripping! Can't believe what they made that poor barman do :(
  • Options
    XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.Metcalfe wrote: »
    Thought the last episode was a big step up and hopefully back on track now!

Definitely! The second half of the episode was superb! ( Dexter back to his murderous best)
    Hilarious when he mimicked and shouted back at the strapped down Spicer:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Spicer was going to be sent into the furnace alive, LOL! :eek:

The way the episode ended, I have a strong feeling that Deb is actually going to kill someone with Dexter before this season is over - Their relationship seems to be getting darker and more twisted by the episode...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Spicer was going to be sent into the furnace alive, LOL! :eek:

The way the episode ended, I have a strong feeling that Deb is actually going to kill someone with Dexter before this season is over - Their relationship seems to be getting darker and more twisted by the episode...

Me too, I had a cushion in standby! My worst fear realised :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was a great episode.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is parallel between Hannah McKay/Wayne Randall and Dexter/Debs being run through the storyline.

Initially it seemed that Hannah, like Debs, was caught up with the murders of a serial killer and at worst helping him to cover them up. However last night it was alluded that she took an active part in the killings. Is this a fore-shadowing of the series?

It was interesting that Debs described that spending a night in a motel with Dexter wasn't how she imagined it. Hmmm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I think this series is a definate return to form for Dexter. I've been watching series 3 on DVD lately and can see how much of an improvement the series is now that Dexter is free of immediate family ties.
    Debs has surpassed herself so far with profanities in this series! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that ending was.... Unexpected... :eek:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they'd made it clear he fancied her. And I guess it's a long time since he last got laid. I'm not really buying it from her point of view, though. In real life, if you abduct a woman, she's surprisingly ungrateful if you cut her free and then try to have sex with her.

I'm not sure where they're going to take it next. She's no Lumen. I really do think she was stalking him as a potential threat.

Generally I felt this episode was quite slow. Still good though. I was a bit disappointed with Quinn. He must know that once he's done this, the gangsters own him and it won't end.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Watched this at US Pace last year, interesting to see what you UK Pace-ers are saying. I too thought it was a real return to form after the dodgy Season 6. The kill-table sex was a bit random but I saw it coming once he cut her free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Well, they'd made it clear he fancied her. And I guess it's a long time since he last got laid. I'm not really buying it from her point of view, though. In real life, if you abduct a woman, she's surprisingly ungrateful if you cut her free and then try to have sex with her.

She's obviously a mental case.

I'm also wondering where they are going with this. Maybe we're lining up Debra's first kill? ;)

As for Quinn, I've never really taken to him to be honest, so I can't say I particularly care what happens with him.

And yes, this episode was definetely the slowest of the season so far.

Certainly my least favourite episode, though I get the feeling it was setting up a lot of stuff for future episode's...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great ep but I agree it was setting up the second half. Really silly how Hannah shagged Dex after he cut her free, but she is clearly damaged. I hate how debra is being with Dex, hate how she has the upper hand, this needs to change!

Also, Quinn really needs to be killed off, he always gets way too much screen time and he bores me silly.