Options

Mast Cell Tumours in dogs

RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
Forum Member
Anybody had one of these treated and what was the outcome?
Just had one removed from my dog and things aren't going well. Beginning to wonder if it was a wise choice.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes our late Corgi Katie had two, both were removed and luckily she recovered well. I think from memory they were grade 2 so we were very lucky.

Do you know what grade yours is ?
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply, Molliepops.
    Yes we do know the grade, like your corgi it is also a grade 2. It's been explained to us that this isn't the worst or the best, but could go either way.
    I'm pleased your corgi made a good recovery. Were the two removed under the same surgery or did they appear at different times? Also how well and how quickly did they heal?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different times, she had one when she was about 4 and the other when she was 10. The one when she was 4 healed quickly and she was fine very fast. The one when she was 10 was actually smaller but it healed much more slowly and she had an infection that took a while to get the right treatment for, but she made it in the end and died 3 years later of a completely unrelated problem.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long stories short, one of my dogs died of mammary cancer after having several removed , the other had a tumour removed and is now 15 and plodding on.

Our vet told us if your dog is spayed, they have less of a chance getting a mammary tumour and if she does get one, its less likely to be aggressive.