MLB 2011 Season

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Spring Training 2011 is upon us!

Pitchers and Catchers reported 13th Feb with position players reporting this week,

The old thread disappeared but I'd love for all us baseball fans to have a good old chat pre, during and post season.

So, come one come all, let's chat baseball!

(nice little rhyme there at the end eh? :D )

Comments

• HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Redsox fan, have followed them for about 12 years now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, last season and a couple of the seasons before we had a good mix of people.

Yankees, Braves, Blue Jays, Phillies to name a few...I hope everyone comes back.

I know a couple of people stopped posting cos of the Yankee bashing on here, I admit, I was a culprit and it brought a lot of us together however, in all seriousness though I hope they come back because they always had well thought out and informative posts.

Welcome one and all! Even Yankees fans ... ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this year Blue Jays, this year !! (and if not maybe my ''second team'' The Tampa Bay Rays !!)
    Looking forward to it - for me the season starts when I first hear the "Go Cubs Go" song on ESPN America post Chicago regular season win !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just thinking yesterday it was time for a new MLB thread, thanks Vicki :)

I'm absolutely excited to see the 2011 Red Sox in action, the off season was cool.I'm not taking anything for granted though, it all has to click together.

I'm noticing more and more that as every year passes my love of baseball grows, my family (apart from my Yankees supporting brother) don't understand it but I just tell them you have appreciate what you're watching.

After a year out, I'm doing Yahoo fantasy baseball again this year with a few of my internet friends. I've read some books and realised I was going about it all the wrong way. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to do it poor-reception. Glad you're back with us!

It's going to be an interesting season - the Phils with their Fab 4, the Red Sox with the guy they've been waiting for forever...can't wait! :)
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two big stories humming at the moment in the offseason. Albert Pujols' contract negotiations with the St Louis Cardinals have come and passed their deadline without agreement, so we must now wait until October to see if the slugger stays at Busch Stadium.

The other, more shocking story, is the treatment of Michael Young by the Texas Rangers. This man has lived and breathed the Rangers for the last ten years, been a batting champion, 6-time All-Star, All-Star MVP and Gold Glove winner. He's the Rangers' all-time hit leader. A natural infielder, Young graciously moved over from SS to 3B to accomodate Elvis Andrus in 2009. Now he's been ceremonially shoved to DH/IF to accomodate new signing Adrian Beltre. With Young, the Rangers built themselves up from basement dwellers to AL Champs. Why they suddenly feel the need to stick two fingers up at him? He's now requested a trade, and I hope for one he gets a decent club (he wants one of the Rockies, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, Yankees, Twins, Cardinals and Astros).

2011: Last year of the Florida Marlins at Dolphin Stadium - next year it'll be Miami Marlins. All-Star Game is in Arizona, Tim Wakefield is just 7 wins away from 200.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things could really backfire for Pujols - his shoulder could give out any time .... he might then regret not taking the offer from the Cards .... will certainly be a talking point all season and then next off season when it gets to him testing the free agent market.

As for Michael Young - there's rumours he's coming here to Philly with Joe Blanton going the other way ...

ARGH!! I'm so excited for baseball! :)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN America normally get coverage of the pre-season games in about mid-March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN America normally get coverage of the pre-season games in about mid-March.

Here's the ones I can see so far:

Tuesday 15 March: Yankees v Red Sox 6pm

Wednesday 16 March: Red Sox v Braves 5pm

No word on MLB on 5 Live SX yet - will be keeping an eye on my inbox though.
  • bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thu 03 Mar 18:00
    Atlanta v Detroit

Wed 16 Mar 17:00
    Boston v Atlanta

Mon 21 Mar 17:00
    Boston v Philadelphia

Tue 22 Mar 17:00
    NY Yankees v Baltimore

Wed 23 Mar 17:00
    NY Mets v St. Louis

Fri 25 Mar 17:00
    Atlanta v Philadelphia

Tue 29 Mar 17:00
    Detroit v NY Yankees
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never got around last year to getting more merchandise. However I've recently been saving so I ordered 2 Red Sox T-shirts today. This will go with my Red Sox cap and Celtics hat. The focus is on getting a cross-section of Beantown sports merchandise this year :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the Jays shaping up for this season? :D
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this season, going to NYC in May mainly to watch the Yankees - Red Sox series (tickets sorted, prices are like 5x the price of the KC series just before it though). Edit, just saw about spring training games, IIRC they show quite a few of those for free on MLB.tv for those without ESPN.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never got around last year to getting more merchandise. However I've recently been saving so I ordered 2 Red Sox T-shirts today. This will go with my Red Sox cap and Celtics hat. The focus is on getting a cross-section of Beantown sports merchandise this year :)

Do you order from MLB.com?

I support the Red Sox and have a soft spot for the Blue Jays. The only baseball game that I've seen live is a Jays game, which was back in 2003 against the Chicago White Sox. The sox won 7-0! I went for a tour around Fenway Park back in 2007, a month before they won the World Series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered from ESPN America / TA Sports. Ordering from the U.S. puts me off a bit because of the taxes etc.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered from ESPN America / TA Sports. Ordering from the U.S. puts me off a bit because of the taxes etc.

Thanks. Just having a browse now, shirts aren't as pricey as I thought they would be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it all be on ESPN America this season?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it all be on ESPN America this season?

Yep as usual there should be at least one MLB game on per day on ESPN-A with some on ESPN too.. this is my first full season with ESPN so I'm looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lucky enough to live in the States now so can get the MLB Season ticket on cable. Is ESPN America what was NASN?
  • ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VickiGri wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to live in the States now so can get the MLB Season ticket on cable. Is ESPN America what was NASN?

Yes:)
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spring training games beginning in earnest today, watching the Yankees game at 6 UK time I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has reminded me the next time we get some sunny weather I'll put on my blue jays jersey. :)

When is the next game to be shown on ESPNA?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has reminded me the next time we get some sunny weather I'll put on my blue jays jersey. :)

When is the next game to be shown on ESPNA?

See Bamber's post above, or look top-right on this page : http://www.espnamerica.com/gb/f1/sports-on-espn-america/baseball

PS - Anyone doing a MLBlog this year?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go Giants!!

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Red Sox and Phillies guaranteed World Series in my estimations.