Android overtakes Apple's iOS in tablet market share

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    You don't know me well enough to say I am a "most hardened fan."

Since you have no idea what iOS will look like you can't say iOS fans are "in for an unpleasant surprise." That's makes no sense.

What features do you think you will get then?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since you have no idea what iOS will look like you can't say iOS fans are "in for an unpleasant surprise." That's makes no sense.

I didn't say iOS fans are in for an unpleasant surprise, I said fans of the current design. Its widely agreed that there will be a move away from the skeuomorphism that has characterised iOS design. Jonny Ive isn't a fan of it and will be putting together something more modern. *I* think this is a good thing, and I gave you the opportunity to air your views on whether or not the iOS interface needed a polish or not....

e.g.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/05/apples-attempt-to-ditch-skeuomorphism-resulting-in-tight-ios-7-deadlines/

You don't know me well enough to say I am a "most hardened fan."

I stand by that assessment :D
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least describe them otherwise your just trolling. I've already told you one that the Nexus10 has that iPad doesn't.

Oh be quiet with the trolling accusations. Be respectful and simply just ask! Is that too hard to do?

iPad advantages are:

The best build quality.
    Access to by far the largest number of tablet apps.
    Apps available for both systems usually favors the iPad for quality and first release.
    No tablet app compatibility issues amongst different tablets as many Android tablet apps will work with one type of Android tablet and not another, even if the specs can support it.
    The best customer service and tech support in the industry.
    By far the best third party accessories support.
    The best resale value.
    AirPlay
    Consistent software updates whereas with an Android device you may never get an update and often rarely.
    A still smoother and more responsive interface
    The best battery life. For example, the iPad 4 has much better battery life than the a Nexus 10 as does the iPad mini compared to the Nexus 7.
    Cellular models on both iPad models

That should be enough.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, on many levels the iPad is obviously the best.

In what way...? If it was "obviously the best", Apple would have retained the top spot in tablet market share. But they haven't, have they? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I didn't say iOS fans are in for an unpleasant surprise, I said fans of the current design. Its widely agreed that there will be a move away from the skeuomorphism that has characterised iOS design. Jonny Ive isn't a fan of it and will be putting together something more modern. *I* think this is a good thing, and I gave you the opportunity to air your views on whether or not the iOS interface needed a polish or not....

It's clear what you said and it is illogical.
    II stand by that assessment :D

Another "assessment" that is also illogical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's clear what you said and it is illogical.

which bit? That the iOS interface is changing? Or that people that think the current interface is the dogs **** will not like the idea of it changing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    In what way...? If it was "obviously the best", Apple would have retained the top spot in tablet market share. But they haven't, have they? :o

That makes no sense. The iPad is still by far the best selling tablet. Market share is a different thing. Besides, Android has only gotten market share through cheap tablets and you get what you pay for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which bit? That the iOS interface is changing? Or that people that think the current interface is the dogs **** will not like the idea of it changing?

Really? :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What features do you think you will get then?

Don't know. I can't see into the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's why the fanboys are so mad on here lately. They know ipad, like the iphone, is on the way down

[/blatent troll cos its late night ]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? :cool:

you *don't* think Ive and co are working on modernising iOS? Quick tell the tech sites, you've got a scoop :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPad 4? Did you not read my post? :confused:

Are you saying the AppStore is not HTML5 then?

iOS is a "tablet" OS and iTunes is on iOS so why are you confused?

I'm not a software developer or programmer but I know enough to say that your description of iTunes shows you possess even less knowledge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if i can draw my self to this pettiness now.
    iPad advantages are:
    * The best build quality.
    Debatable.
    * Access to by far the largest number of tablet apps.
    Android apps dont actually distinguish between different screen resolutions.
    * Apps available for both systems usually favors the iPad for quality and first release.
    not any more
    * No tablet app compatibility issues amongst different tablets as many Android tablet apps will work with one type of Android tablet and not another, even if the specs can support it.
    this is no different with ipad 1 not being supported or iphone 4 which is a recent device.
    * The best customer service and tech support in the industry.
    this is BS.
    By far the best third party accessories support.
    The best resale value.
    * AirPlay
    DLNA
    *Consistent software updates whereas with an Android device you may never get an update and often rarely.
    At least the updates do something and not just localization fixes.
    A still smoother and more responsive interface
    The best battery life. For example, the iPad 4 has much better battery life than the a Nexus 10 as does the iPad mini compared to the Nexus 7.
    Says who?
    Cellular models on both iPad models
    Fair, but the customer can choose this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you *don't* think Ive and co are working on modernising iOS? Quick tell the tech sites, you've got a scoop :cool:

Actually I should have used this smily :confused: as I am doing now :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not a software developer or programmer but I know enough to say that your description of iTunes shows you possess even less knowledge.

Great cutting off of the discussion there then, because i am a developer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I should have used this smily :confused: as I am doing now :confused:

which bit are you confused by? iOS is getting a redesign. People attached to the old design are unlikely to like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iOS requires specific layouts for different handsets which is an entirely different philosophy to android where its hardware agnostic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes no sense. The iPad is still by far the best selling tablet. Market share is a different thing. Besides, Android has only gotten market share through cheap tablets and you get what you pay for.

The most popular Android tablet, the Nexus 7, balances price with features which is something Apple has no concept of. I suppose that's why the Nexus 7 has sold so well, well enough for Apple to feel threatened and give it free publicity in one of their launch keynotes...:)

I appreciate that you may be quick to defend your "expensive" or over-priced iDevice(s), but choice is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if i can draw my self to this pettiness now.

Why are you saying that when you then go on to answer me point by point?:D

Debatable.

Wrong. It is recognized in the industry and anyone who can't see that is either blind or in denial.
    Android apps dont actually distinguish between different screen resolutions.

not any more

Blowing up a phone app is not a tablet app and an Android app that actually takes advantage of Androids ability to package into one app variability for different screen sizes and resolutions is very rare.

The fact remains, there are over 300,000 **tablet** apps for the iPad whereas the best estimates for Android **tablet app**are just a fraction of that. It is also a fact within the industry that most iOS apps are of a higher quality and it is a fact that most apps come to iOS first.
    this is no different with ipad 1 not being supported or iphone 4 which is a recent device.

Of course there is a big difference when you consider the large numbers of Android tablets with hugely varying specs and screen resolutions and sizes. iOS devices are just a handful so fragmentation and incompatibility is tiny compared to Android
    this is BS.

No, it is fact. That is very common knowledge within the industry. Most Android fans would never think of trying to challenge that fact.

It is also obvious fact that the iPads have by far the best accessories support.

It is also fact that Apple's products have superior resale value.

DLNA

Obviously you have never used AirPlay. There is nothing in the Android ecosystem that is as well implemented as AirPlay. DLNA is just the protocol and is meaningless without AirPlay like implementation.

At least the updates do something and not just localization fixes.

LOL. Right.
    Says who?

Most impartial and objective Android users and industry related professionals.
    Fair, but the customer can choose this.

No, they can't since the Nexus 10 isn't available as a cellular model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most popular Android tablet, the Nexus 7, balances price with features which is something Apple has no concept of. I suppose that's why the Nexus 7 has sold so well, well enough for Apple to feel threatened and give it free publicity in one of their launch keynotes...:)

I appreciate that you may be quick to defend your "expensive" or over-priced iDevice(s), but choice is not necessarily a bad thing.

So how is it that the iPad mini is far outselling the Nexus 7 and is the most popular 7" tablet if it is so "expensive" and "overpriced?"

Apple gave it negative publicity showing things that made it inferior to the iPad mini.

I never said or suggested "choice" was a "bad thing."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how is it that the iPad mini is far outselling the Nexus 7 and is the most popular 7" tablet if it is so "expensive" and "overpriced?"

Apple gave it negative publicity showing things that made it inferior to the iPad mini.

I never said or suggested "choice" was a "bad thing."

So how is it that Android and Google have seemingly gone from nothing to the leader and a major player in the tablet market in just 2 years? I don't suppose it's because Android is rubbish right? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iOS requires specific layouts for different handsets which is an entirely different philosophy to android where its hardware agnostic.

The "layouts" for all iPads is the same!

What Android essentially does is allows multiple versions of apps to exist as one downloadable file. For that to mean anything a developer would have to design many different "layouts" accounting for the very large number of Android tablets out there and that rarely happens as it simply wouldn't be worth the headache. It's not much different than writing multiple apps for different devices and that explains why developers target iOS first since there are so few iOS devices, and as I said, with the iPad the "layouts" are the same, making it much easier to develop for iOS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how is it that Android and Google have seemingly gone from nothing to a major player in the tablet market in just 2 years? I don't suppose it's because Android is rubbish right? :D

Most of the growth in Android tablets came from smaller tablets not of the Nexus brand. For example, Amazon and Barnes and Noble's tablets and the many Chinese knockoffs.

I never said Android tablets are not a "major player" in the market. I have only said they offer a significantly poorer experience and value compared to the iPad.

You were remarking on the supposed disadvantage of iPads being "overpriced" and yet the iPad mini is by far the best selling small tablet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the growth in Android tablets came from smaller tablets not of the Nexus brand. For example, Amazon and Barnes and Noble's tablets and the many Chinese knockoffs.

I never said Android tablets are not a "major player" in the market. I have only said they offer a significantly poorer experience and value compared to the iPad.

You were remarking on the supposed disadvantage of iPads being "overpriced" and yet the iPad mini is by far the best selling small tablet.

It's a well known fact that this has come at the expense of Apple's own 9.7" iPad, it has cannibalised sales, so this is really a non-point. :o

http://qz.com/47265/apple-ipad-mini-is-cannibalizing-sales-of-the-larger-ipad/

If Android tablets had a "significantly poorer experience" then they would have gone the way of the Blackberry Playbook, i.e. flop. Tablets like the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab are very very popular and for some, provide a superior experience to the iPad. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a well known fact that this has come at the expense of Apple's own 9.7" iPad, it has cannibalised sales, so this is really a non-point. :o

I don't care, as I was obviously not talking about the bigger iPad when comparing the iPad mini to the bulk of Android tablets in the marketplace, which happen to be 7" tablets.
    If Android tablets had a "significantly poorer experience" then they would have gone the way of the Blackberry Playbook, i.e. flop. Tablets like the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab are very very popular and for some, provide a superior experience to the iPad. :)

Using that logic one should also conclude that equally good and high quality products exist in discount bargain stores. :p

Cheap quality products exist because many people either can't afford something better or can not understand the concept of value beyond the initial price of something. In the case of the more expensive Android tablets it is usually a case of wanting some strictly limited features not on the iPad and/or an irrational hate of Apple's products. The fact remains, as I have shown, the advantages of the iPad far outweigh any disadvantages. They simply are by far the superior tablet for most people.