best antihistamine tablets for cat allergy

iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been in denial but my cats are definatley having an affect on me.

Which tablets is best to take? :-)

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get hay fever and my eyes start streaming after a minutes with a cat.

I use the cheapest. I get them from aldi, 14 1 a days for 79p.

I have tried both loratidine , and certizine, or whatever they are, and dont really notice any difference myself.

Piriton are good but expensive, and really these are the same.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have an aldi here.

There is a 99p one in Boots. Not bothered about expensive ones if they all work the same!
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I use the 99p ones from sainsburys. I find that cetrizine work but lotaridine don't. Try both and see which works better after a week or so on each.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I use loratadine (Clarityn) and find it helps with my dust/mould allergies and hayfever but you need to take it regularly every day for the full effect.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found Loratadine based medications to be marginally more effective than Cetirizine based, but they're both pretty weak.

It's not a practical solution for the OP, but I found the Schizophrenia drug Quetiapine utterly excellent at stopping hayfever and allergies dead in their tracks. As a 'side-effect' it's a shockingly powerful anti-histamine, 10 times the power of something like Loratadine.

The only problem with using it for this is it's massively sedating :D Like I say, not a practical solution but very interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found ceterezine to be the best. You can get a pack of 60 tablets from Boots (1 tablet per day) for about 12 pounds, although often there are BOGOFs or 3 for 2. (Boots own brand). You will start to notice the effects after taking them for 3-5 consecutive days.

They´re also available in smaller packs but the pack of 60 is the best value.

I have never found ceterezine to make me sleepy. However, I don´t drive a car so can´t comment on whether it affects your ability to do that.

Loratadine was useless for me. I am allergic to cats.

Hope it works! xx
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I've found Loratadine based medications to be marginally more effective than Cetirizine based, but they're both pretty weak.

It's not a practical solution for the OP, but I found the Schizophrenia drug Quetiapine utterly excellent at stopping hayfever and allergies dead in their tracks. As a 'side-effect' it's a shockingly powerful anti-histamine, 10 times the power of something like Loratadine.

The only problem with using it for this is it's massively sedating :D Like I say, not a practical solution but very interesting.

That's interesting. I often have to take more than 1 of the 1-a-day tablets.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at.
    I also found it useless when I used to have my cat allergy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So talked to the pharmacist at Boots today and she gave me the Boots brand one a day that has the loratidine.

She said they would be just the same as a dearer brand.

Fingers crossed since it looks like none of you had much luck with that one.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anti histamines are trial and error. Some suit some not others, some help different allergies better. Cetirizine has a good rep with pet allergies. But you just need to keep trying and find the one for you. I take fexofenidine. Strangely Zantac works well too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also be aware that both your allergic reaction and the efficiency of the antihistamine can change according to your hormonal cycle. If you keep a diary you may find that certain days of the month are much worse or better than others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Seems silly to spend the rest of your cats life taking medication. Buy this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petal-Cleanse-Allergy-Lotion-350ml/dp/B0038MDRX4

It worked for me, I only used it for a while as well as eventually I became immune to my cats fur and it hasn't caused any problems in 6 years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kleapatra wrote: »
    Seems silly to spend the rest of your cats life taking medication. Buy this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petal-Cleanse-Allergy-Lotion-350ml/dp/B0038MDRX4

It worked for me, I only used it for a while as well as eventually I became immune to my cats fur and it hasn't caused any problems in 6 years

I started getting skin issues so thought anti histamines would help as i have seen others online say it did them wonders.

My skin broke out around the time i got the cat and have been in denial ever since because i never had issues before.

So its not just because of the cats. Wanted to try it for skin allergies too.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found ceterezine to be the best. You can get a pack of 60 tablets from Boots (1 tablet per day) for about 12 pounds, although often there are BOGOFs or 3 for 2. (Boots own brand). You will start to notice the effects after taking them for 3-5 consecutive days.

They´re also available in smaller packs but the pack of 60 is the best value.

I have never found ceterezine to make me sleepy. However, I don´t drive a car so can´t comment on whether it affects your ability to do that.

Hope it works! xx

You can buy 60 in Asda for £3 at the pharmacy.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. I know I'm being harsh but coming onto an open forum for medical advice. :o

Please. If you think you have a cat allergy, there are two options:

1] Dispose of cats - problem over.
    2] Seek professional medical advice and spend the rest of your life on unnecessary medication.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    When I got my first cat I needed to take an ant-histamine daily (clarityn) for about 2 years until I realised I had developed an immunity to her and didn't require further medication. I noticed my allergy recurred briefly after holidays away from her but my immune system soon self regulated. I did not consider the medication ''unnecessary'' as it initially greatly relieved my symptoms and helped me to live with my beloved cat. Alcohol and smoking could also be considered ''unnecessary'' drugs but people still indulge for their own pleasure. Lots of us derive great pleasure from our cats.

When I stroke strange cats I sometimes get sneezy with occasional chest tightness which is relieved with my ventolin inhaler. Also, when I adopted my rescue cats, I went through the same process with needing clarityn for a few weeks/months and more frequent use of my inhaler - but I definitely do not need 'life-long' medication and I would never not have the pleasure of living with cats. My body seems to, over time, self adjust itself to tolerate my own cats' dander and fur.

However, I know not everyone is the same and children with asthma and other allergies probably should not be exposed to cats if they prove to be ''allergic''.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The improvement in my skin since starting them is amazing!

I know i dont have a severe allergy. But i was certain my cats made me itchy. Really glad i started them.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. I know I'm being harsh but coming onto an open forum for medical advice. :o

Please. If you think you have a cat allergy, there are two options:

1] Dispose of cats - problem over.
    2] Seek professional medical advice and spend the rest of your life on unnecessary medication.

Er, stupid advice.

If they wanted to get rid of their cat, I'm sure they would have.

Presumably they love their pet and that's why they want to be treated for the allergy rather than giving up the cats.

I have a cat allergy and get by fine with mine. Loratadine keeps the worst of it under control. Hoovering often helps as well.