Options

3 & The Handsets

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Over a year ago I bought one of them huge 3 Pay phones (NEC brand). But ever since I have bought it I have never been able to get a signal on it!! I was having a look at the ofcom website and the 3 Mast is about 8/9 streets down the road.

I bought a 3G phone on T-Mobile and I get full coverage and the T-Mobile mast is about 3 miles down the road.

Is this more to do with the handset or the three-network do you think?

I would like to use three for all the minutes you get, but not much point of buying a new handset if you think it would be the same.

Thanks for your advice.
David

Comments

• Options
    joea1joea1 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    You've just given them another chance to tell you how crap 3 are again...
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be less inclinded to blame 3. Unfortunatly, NEC Handsets are 90% Sh*t. You wouldn't buy a 2G NEC handset, and now most people know why. Even if your NEC couldn't pick up a 3G signal, I'm sure there should be an o2 transmitter covering your area; why isn't it picking that up?!?

3 should never have relied on NEC as primary handset provider as they've now been left with the mammoth task of trying to repair the damage to the reputation of their network - which itself is fine with either a 1000 series Motorola or the new Nokia 66xx series - the latest handsets available. It's taken them 2 years, but they finally have handsets that can hold on to the signals.

If I were you, I'd wait for the Motorola E1000 to come down to a reasonable price on Threepay. It's the best (only) handset worth getting on PAYG 3. Or, even better, see if you can get a Sim-Free 6630; they should be dropping in price now the 6680 is out.
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    ive got a NEC e616v handset and i use it on the orange network and ive never had an issue with signal, i get a full signal anywhere i go and it hasnt let me down once.

seems a fairly decent handset to me :confused:
  • Options
    Mr CableMr Cable Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo6776 wrote:
    ive got a NEC e616v handset and i use it on the orange network and ive never had an issue with signal....
    Well, fair play to you! You're the first person I have ever known to praise that particular phone. Does it hold onto the 3G signal well?
  • Options
    nodnolnodnol Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've got a black c616v and it was fine and held the signal well, occasionally it would freeze and refuse to do anything, still a few bugs that needed fixing I think. Worked well for me until I dropped it in a pint!

I'm now using a 338 and have to say, it's ten times better than the 616.No more freezing, holds the signal well, occasional call drops, but we all know why that is anyway. Thought it was a bit pricey at £85 but with the usual £15 top up included, not a bad little phone really. They also reckon it's the smallest 3g phone on the market aswell.
  • Options
    neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    Mr Cable wrote:
    Well, fair play to you! You're the first person I have ever known to praise that particular phone. Does it hold onto the 3G signal well?

to be honest i have no idea LOL

when i got the phone (free i may add) there was no sim card and it was unlocked, so i put in my orange sim and its been fine.

ive been trying to get hold of a 3 sim card to see what its like as i have a 3g transmitter right beside me also where i am is covered quite well by 3g so i would hope it does hold a good 3g signal
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's taken them 2 years, but they finally have handsets that can hold on to the signals."

Famous last words...... what about the 1000's lumbered with Nokia 7600's, Motorolas, LG's and NEC's that dont work properly. Sad fact is that some folks sung the praises of those when they appeared and in reality they were little better than the launch handsets. Current price levels/promotions and dealer subsidies provide a clue as to the quality of the product (which is severely restricted in terms of 3G). Good idea to check out the independent reviews that real customers provide at http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews12640.html.

I will be moving from 3 later this year when my contract expires and am looking forward to trying 3G technology from one of the other networks.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about the 1000's lumbered with Nokia 7600's...

Most people with 7600s should be coming up to the end of their contract period by now. Unlocked, the 7600 makes a truly excellent 2.5G handset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses, can I use my three pay sim card in a 2G handset, if so which ones are supported?

Cheers.
    David
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you cant really as 3 will block your USIM if it is used in a GSM phone. It can take anything from a day to a few weeks for them to do this but rest assured they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you cant really as 3 will block your USIM if it is used in a GSM phone. It can take anything from a day to a few weeks for them to do this but rest assured they will.

REALLY? I never knew they could do that.... So they can tell....
  • Options
    vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I have 2 LG8110 phones both on seperate contracts with "3".
    One of the phones has good signal all the time but the other is useless. It never switches to roaming when there is no 3G signal and if I leave it in my pocket for a long time it will lose signal and only turning it off and back on will allow me to receive a signal again. It is not a fault with the phone as I am on the 3rd replacement handset.
    My 12 months are now up and can say that I'm off to pastures new.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    REALLY? I never knew they could do that.... So they can tell....

I'd love to know how.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easy..... the IMEI number is transmitted when the handset logs onto a network. That tells the network the Make and model of handset and the operator can block anything they like. (How do you think lost/stolen phones are blocked?)

3 simply inform 02 (their roaming partner) to disable USIM's that they identify as being used in unauthorised GSM handsets.

BTW If anybody is thinking about a cheap deal on 3 as a way of aquiring a Nokia 6630 or 6680 for use on another network, forget it - there is no method to unlock them as yet (other than getting a code from the supplier network).