Options

Houston! We have detected the green shoots of a fibre cabinate upgrade!

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    Hm...looks like Stretham is now "Accepting Orders".

Yep. Little Thetford's cabinet is live and accepting orders, but the rest of Stretham isn't as far as i can tell.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lonewaller wrote: »
    Well, my exchange has just had its RFS date pushed out by 30 days to the end of June.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when it does go live. Although I live on the outskirts of Aberdeen I am too far from the exchange to receive ADSL. However, as it was a recently built suburb (c1998) there were enough properties for it to become a test bed for BT.

Accordingly we got 4 green cabinets with DSLAM equipment (as did somewhere in England) and received a service over TOPN. Only downsize was you had to place your order manually as none of the computer systems understood the set-up. From memory, PlusNet knew exactly what I was speaking out when I placed my order. I've had a stable connection of 5.7 up (on a "up to 8" service).

A later problem came when the exchange was un-bundled and people tried to order "packages". The system would tell them they could, the order would be accepted and only later would people find out their line wasn't "un-bundled" as the green cabinet sat between their home and the exchange.

The interesting bit will be in that I am already "connected" to the green cabinet.

Brian

Ah yes, Kingswells I presume.

I think the main problem there was not the distance, although the exchange is in Westhill so it doesn't help.

The main problem was that when they built the place instead of running copper pairs to the cabinets, they used the TPON system which is basically a form of FTTC for the phone system. And as was subsequently discovered, the biggest problem is that this is incompatible with ADSL.

I think they then had to start running copper pairs back to the exchange for ADSL users but as it was so far and demand was outstripping supply they came up with this hybrid system where the ADSL DSLAMS were placed in street cabinets.

There has been TPON in other places in the past, but it was a lot easier to remove and replace with copper as the distances weren't so great.
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. The suburbs are getting fibred up, but Central York and North York still have the cups and string situation. Luckily I'm near where they are going to build the new stadium for York City FC, and it's a big development, so maybe that'll kick the area into the 21st Century.

Looks like non BT FTTP may be coming to York
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/15/talktalk_bskyb_cityfibre_ink_broadband_network_deal_for_york/

Brian
  • Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Kingswells it is.

Funnily enough, despite the RFS date being pushed out by 30 days to the end of June there was an announcement yesterday of the first cabinet going "live" - I suspect a publicity stunt as it's public money funding the roll out.

Although TPON is involved, I suspect distance is the major problem. Kingswells could be described as being in three parts running south to north. The old village, the new village and the latest suburbs (where I am).

Taking a straight line from the exchange to the old village then up to me gives a distance of approximately 4.6km - and we all know BT cable does not go in straight lines.

Brian
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RileyM wrote: »
    Hm...looks like Stretham is now "Accepting Orders".

So....there's some progress in Stretham.

For those who dont frequent the "other" forum where this has aleady been mentioned, it looks like my property will be in an FTTP, with Connecting Cambridgeshire estimating it being live by the end of June.

I have been told that for the prep to be complete more work is needed, including overnight work, which according to Roadworks.org.uk is starting tonight, for three nights.

This evening, while pulling in to our driveway, three Openreach lads walk passed carrying a temporary barrier and had stopped just outside the manhole outside our property(ish).

Fingers crossed this time...