Options

What Classic Series Monster should face Doc No.11?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been thinking about possibly a return for either The Mara or maybe even The Zygons! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ice Warriors would be nice to see, erm maybe have a story were we see the Cybermen again(but not the Cybus ones), and the Sea Devils.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zygons have been rumoured for ages, but as that rumour was started after David Tennant said he wanted to see them I'm not holding my breath about seeing them.

Steven Moffat seems to want to look forward rather than backwards so I don't expect too many of the old monsters to turn up in the new series.

I really hope that Moffat has a new set of monsters up his sleave to be the big bads in the latest series.

Anyway those I personally wouldn't mind seeing in future series are.

The Celestial Toymaker (for the Console generation - however this could probably be done without bringing back an old character)
    Davros on his own without the Daleks
    Silurians / Sea Devils (you could possibly get a good immigration analogy going from these creatures)
    Time Lords
    The "our universe" Cybermen (done properly)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    The Zygons are loooooong overdue. They still look ace today, and with a decent budget I'd be salivating at the prospect of their return.

I'd also quite like to see the Ice Warriors make a comeback too - although, unlike the Zygons, they'd need a serious upgrade to make them work on a modern TV set.

Of course, I'm assuming here that the Ice Warriors don't appear in some form in the upcoming Waters of Mars (even in a 'Dalek' Cyberman head style cameo).
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about none for the first year?
  • Options
    mighty thormighty thor Posts: 8,058
    Forum Member
    The Jagaroth
    Sutekh
    Sea Devils (but not in their armour and with their pantomime horse!)
    The Kandyman(!)
    The Gods of Ragnaroc
    The Fendal (I think that is what it is called)
    Omega
    The War Chief
    The Guardians
    The Mara
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    Zygons have been rumoured for ages, but as that rumour was started after David Tennant said he wanted to see them I'm not holding my breath about seeing them.

Steven Moffat seems to want to look forward rather than backwards so I don't expect too many of the old monsters to turn up in the new series.

I really hope that Moffat has a new set of monsters up his sleave to be the big bads in the latest series.

Anyway those I personally wouldn't mind seeing in future series are.

The Celestial Toymaker (for the Console generation - however this could probably be done without bringing back an old character)
    Davros on his own without the Daleks
    Silurians / Sea Devils (you could possibly get a good immigration analogy going from these creatures)
    Time Lords
    The "our universe" Cybermen (done properly)

seconded

I missed/wasn't listening to the explanation as to why they were wiped out (where they part of the Time War too?)
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave off the Daleks and Cybermen, puh-lease! Bored of them, and they are so invincible that they can only be defeated by a horrible cop-out "Deus ex Machina".

Zygons would be nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave off the Daleks and Cybermen, puh-lease! Bored of them, and they are so invincible that they can only be defeated by a horrible cop-out "Deus ex Machina".

Zygons would be nice.

Ah but if it's our universe Cybermen then they would have the weakness of Gold clogging up there respiratory systems which I believe was first mentioned in the 10th Planet (I could be a billion times wrong), however I do agree with the Daleks give them a few series off so when they come back they could have a great impact.
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seconded

I missed/wasn't listening to the explanation as to why they were wiped out (where they part of the Time War too?)

There wasn't an explanation as such but then the Cybermondasians always teetered on the brink of extinction as a result of being just a bit rubbish at the whole universal domination thing
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Steve wrote: »
    Ah but if it's our universe Cybermen then they would have the weakness of Gold clogging up there respiratory systems which I believe was first mentioned in the 10th Planet (I could be a billion times wrong), however I do agree with the Daleks give them a few series off so when they come back they could have a great impact.

Nope, that weakness didn't turn up until Revenge of the Cybermen in 1975. Got progressively worse too so that by the end even walking past a branch of Ratners could be fatal
  • Options
    WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about the Zygons - well overdue a return for them!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    How about none for the first year?

I second that.
  • Options
    hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None. New monstahs pleeze! And especially no daleks or cybermen. :| Or slitheen. OR ABSORBALOFFS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see the return of the Sea Devils. They're my favourite.

And, of course, it goes without saying that the Drashig should return. I'd like to see uber-scribe Moffat make a terrifying, intelligent adventure with those.

Oh yes.
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsrichard wrote: »
    I would love to see the return of the Sea Devils. They're my favourite.

According to someone on another forum who's been right in the past (even giving out Amy's full name last week) you might get your wish in the very first episode of S5.
  • Options
    tombalandtombaland Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kandyman, must bring back kandyman
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see the Ice Warriors, or maybe the Silurians or Sea Devils. They were relatively morally complex villains; indeed, it's questionable if the Silurians deserved to be called villains at all.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    As much as I'd like to see the Zygons I think I'd rather they were left untouched. Terror of the Zygons is my all time favourite story and I like the fact it is their only apprearance.

I'd like to see

Ice Warriors
    Sea Devils

I know the Autons have already returned, but I'd like them to do another story. They are very creepy things, and I'd like to see them used in a very scary two parter.
  • Options
    jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member
    I would like to see some developement with K1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to someone on another forum who's been right in the past (even giving out Amy's full name last week) you might get your wish in the very first episode of S5.

I thought the first episode stars the Daleks, as the screen shot I,ve seen has "Bad Wof", writen on the sand.
  • Options
    jaek123456jaek123456 Posts: 8,410
    Forum Member

if you look at the pics of first day of filming this might be true!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I would very much like to see the return of the Myrka.

Daleks, Cybermen and Zygons are obviously just actors in poorly designed costumes.

So lets get some gritty realism back into the show.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if "Menace of the Myrka" is not already pencilled in for the Christmas Specials. Which, in many ways, would be a fitting way of ending Tennant's tenure in the Tardis.

I can't see the Myrka failing with the more discerning audience that we have today.

In fact, I'd go as far to predict some kind of spin off show being commissioned as a result.

Maybe...

Myrkawood?
  • Options
    tombalandtombaland Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeremyc wrote: »
    I thought the first episode stars the Daleks, as the screen shot I,ve seen has "Bad Wof", writen on the sand.

if they ever print a dictionary of modern internet slang this post is going to be in it pictured next to the word fail

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess that the Moff is torn between not wanting to bring back old adversaries - a laudable sentiment on one level - and the ever tightening BBC budgets forcing him to do just that.

The Daleks didn't just keep being reused because there were lots of stories to tell: they were re-used because they had been built and there was no money to build new aliens. Ditto the Cybermen, the Ood, the Slitheen, etc.

There's only a point in bringing back an old monster if there's a new story to tell with it ... so maybe the Ice Warriors? The Zygons? Or if you want some cheaper options, what about the Seaweed Creature from 'Fury From The Deep'? The Mandragora Helix?
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that whatever happens those daleks will be back! The kids love it!!
    I'd like to see him return to 'The Tenth Planet' - style Cybermen (the cloth-faced ones) ...they were creepy!
    And maybe some form of Yeti.....can't be too costly(?).
    I prefer the creepy 'non-seen' type of horror (like Midnight) or the statuesque Angels (Blink). But we must remember that the kids like a good monster now and again!
    Maybe the Krotons could come back (with a bit of a make-over!) or the Quarks?