Options

Rain, wind and more rain

13»

Comments

• Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter 2013/2014 will go down as when britain got back to normal service resuming with us being battered by endless low pressures from a powerful jet stream which was powered by america and canada having sub zero temps that covered nearly all the continent. I am confident that this shite weather is here to stay possibly into the start of spring. I cant see february being any different to this month.
  • Options
    rockjackrockjack Posts: 13,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't we only got one day of cold weather ahead then back to 5-10c
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Rain and cold, just came home from work, sat having a coffee before I cook tea. the rain is relentless and it is freezing, ok maybe not freezing because it would freeze, but still cold.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=Hereford&locationID=57366&lat=52.1&lon=-2.7&findtype=

The weather is awful and the main issue for most folk is they are not used to it and perhaps don't prepare/dress themselves for it. Cool temps and rain combined with wind give 'wind chill factor'

Air temp for me tomorrow is around 2c with a 10km/h wind giving a wind chill factor of around -1c on your body. Dress for the weather, use a 'breathable' fabric jacket with hood (Goretex type material) and don't forget your wooly hat and gloves.

I don't like all this rain but I won't let it get me down, dress for it and carry on.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Winter 2013/2014 will go down as when britain got back to normal service resuming with us being battered by endless low pressures from a powerful jet stream which was powered by america and canada having sub zero temps that covered nearly all the continent.

The jet is powered more by oceans than the continents. They're just a much on the receiving end of whatever pattern takes hold as we are across the Atlantic. We've rarely had what is typical in terms of the "average" in recent winters. It's either been unusually cold and icy or unusually mild and wetter like this year thus far.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the water authorities say we are going to have a drought this year in the South East, I swear to God, I will cut a bitch!
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    If the water authorities say we are going to have a drought this year in the South East, I swear to God, I will cut a bitch!

The South East is overpopulated!Give up your mantel as an overheated economic hub and these inevitable water shortages will lessen!
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Because we had record temperatures last summer they are predicting this summer will be a washout!
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Because we had record temperatures last summer they are predicting this summer will be a washout!
    Summer 2014 in all probability will be a washout unless all this rain is preparing the ground for a long hot hot summer. Where will the jet stream have to be for a hot LONG summer for the uk become a reality
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd gloat at them if they were to be proved wrong! :D
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officially the wettest Jan on record, every month a new record seems to be broken and usually for a bad reason.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    It's winter. What did you expect?
    January rain breaks records in parts of England
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't necessarily follow. Some hot Summers have followed mild wet Winters. Just as lousy Summers have followed cold Winters. Or it might just be average.

Unusually for this Winter, today has been one of those quiet, ultra grey days, typical of late January and into February, with a very light Continental Polar airstream, and temperatures widely between 2C & 4C.

Only for today though. Will all be swept away tomorrow as another huge low sweeps in from the Atlantic depositing 20 to 30mm of rain, and putting more pressure on those flood stricken areas in the South West.

tealady wrote: »

No great surprise. The worst affected areas seem to be central Southern England and the South Midlands. But all of that Central Southern swathe stretching up into the Midlands has been hard hit.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And living in the South, I was reflecting to day on how many months it will be before we get a hosepipe ban!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

did we have record temps?... the highest temp recorded (daily) was set in 2003 at 37? 38c?

'they' who are 'they'? the same ones who predicted a bbq summer the other washout summer? the same ones who predicted 100 days of heavy snow for this winter? :D

hot summers can come in 2's, like 75, 76. 83, 84. 89, 90. 95, 96. maybe this summer will beat 13...

however, long periods of wet weather are often followed by long spells of dry... so sometime in about march itll start to become settled, but settled in march often means cold. it wouldnt surprise me if march turns out to be colder then dec/jan/feb.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i could, but id be telling a lie... :D

its looking really unsettled wet and windy for the forseeable.

Ok,time to build an ark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a silver lining!! less children on the streets during summer!
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok,time to build an ark
    Can we have a fun centre in this ark? :D
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got ya, theme song for the days ahead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWUw0aQbMw

The Mother Wave !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8IAgUNr6x4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what a surprise the ground was all drying up now its pissing down again!