Options

opportunity knocks 1970s info requested

f1honeybunnyf1honeybunny Posts: 258
Forum Member
I realise this is a bit of a long shot (and i am sorry if this is the wrong tv forum),
But,does anyone know anything about this,

My neighbour has a really good singing voice,and once in the very early 70's was invited by the tv show (they were unaware of any problems she had)to sing on opportunity knocks with hughie green.
She said she was very nervous and didn't really want to do it,(a friend nominated her)

She went to go on stage to practice and as soon as Hughie Green saw her he said :"She can't go on she'd get the bloody sympathy vote."

And promptly banned her.

She is disabled and confined to a wheelchair.

Does anyone know if it made the media she said she was in all the papers yet searching on the internet,i can find nothing.Can you read old newspapers online like you used to be able to view them on microfiche in libraries.She would love to see the write ups again and i must admit to being curious too.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hughie Green.

Man of the people (not)

And I mean that most sincerely folks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    That show and its host would be banned if it were todays times... Hughie fawning over small children
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Try having a look at this
    https://pro-labs.imdb.com/title/tt0198197?d=tt_details_contact
    See if she is on the list or if it will help you with where to look?
    Hope it might help - this just came from a quick search so keep trying for her!
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise this is a bit of a long shot (and i am sorry if this is the wrong tv forum),
    But,does anyone know anything about this,

My neighbour has a really good singing voice,and once in the very early 70's was invited by the tv show (they were unaware of any problems she had)to sing on opportunity knocks with hughie green.
    She said she was very nervous and didn't really want to do it,(a friend nominated her)

She went to go on stage to practice and as soon as Hughie Green saw her he said :"She can't go on she'd get the bloody sympathy vote."

And promptly banned her.

Does anyone know if it made the media she said she was in all the papers yet searching on the internet,i can find nothing.Can you read old newspapers online like you used to be able to view them on microfiche in libraries.She would love to see the write ups again and i must admit to being curious too.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Do you know the year and were any people we would now recognise on the show? Personally, I don't think it would have made the papers, although it would today.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And promptly banned her.

Yet, today, if she could also sing well, they'd be falling over themselves to put her on the show. How times change.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry OP I don't know.

As others have said, it wouldn't happen nowadays.......I hope.

There was an X-Factor finalist with mobility difficulties a few years ago.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching this awful show when I was a child. Hughie was a horrible man and you could see his disdain for some of the contestants in his eyes. There were a number of occasions when you could tell he didn't agree with the vote.

Whenever I think about this show I remember poor Lena Zavaroni the child singer who later died from an eating disorder. Very sad.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally wonder when a celeb said they provided good clean entertainment, whether that was the case.

Hughie Green, 'got around a bit', Jess Yates, his old 'adversary', 'got around a bit' apparantly.

Jimmy Savile, say no more!
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I remember watching this awful show when I was a child. Hughie was a horrible man and you could see his disdain for some of the contestants in his eyes. There were a number of occasions when you could tell he didn't agree with the vote.

Whenever I think about this show I remember poor Lena Zavaroni the child singer who later died from an eating disorder. Very sad.
    Westy2 wrote: »
    I normally wonder when a celeb said they provided good clean entertainment, whether that was the case.

Hughie Green, 'got around a bit', Jess Yates, his old 'adversary', 'got around a bit' apparantly.

Jimmy Savile, say no more!

The gulf between outward glamour and real grimness is never bigger than in showbiz.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Hughie Green, 'got around a bit', Jess Yates, his old 'adversary', 'got around a bit' apparantly!
    I'm sure you meant to add that Paula Yates' biological father turned out to be Hughie Green...

It's hard to remember in these celeb-obsessed times that showbiz in general was barely covered in the press in the early 70's - you had to buy dedicated music or movie titles (which were pretty few and far between) in order to get any decent in-depth information, though weekly rags like Titbits and Reveille had odd bits of gossip... even if this story had been allowed to leak outside the studio (highly unliklely), there aren't many places it could ahve been written about...
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you meant to add that Paula Yates' biological father turned out to be Hughie Green...

It's hard to remember in these celeb-obsessed times that showbiz in general was barely covered in the press in the early 70's - you had to buy dedicated music or movie titles (which were pretty few and far between) in order to get any decent in-depth information, though weekly rags like Titbits and Reveille had odd bits of gossip... even if this story had been allowed to leak outside the studio (highly unliklely), there aren't many places it could ahve been written about...

Wow.
    That's a blast from the past. :D
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How times have changed - they had Kerry on X Factor in 2006. :)

They also had Two To Go in series 1 - the boy, Peter was blind.

Speaking of which...Opportunity Knocks had Peters and Lee on it?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    How times have changed - they had Kerry on X Factor in 2006. :)

They also had Two To Go in series 1 - the boy, Peter was blind.

Speaking of which...Opportunity Knocks had Peters and Lee on it?

Opportunity Knocks or New Faces?
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Opportunity Knocks or New Faces?

Wiki says Opportunity Knocks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peters_and_Lee
    They entered the TV talent show Opportunity Knocks, which they won for a then record of seven times