Fibre 10 day training period.

Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
Forum Member
When I first got ADSL during the 10 day training period, it changed many times as it worked out what the best stable speed was going to be.

However, I have had my PlusNet Fibre for a week tomorrow and it's now what it was when first installed and hasn't change at all. 73Mb/s It does dip a little in the evening between 8pm and 9pm due to everyone being online, but that's not a testing type of change.

Is this normal? I mean if it sticks at that, then that's fine by me, but I thought it would go up and down a little before deciding.

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    However, I have had my PlusNet Fibre for a week tomorrow and it's now what it was when first installed and hasn't change at all. 73Mb/s It does dip a little in the evening between 8pm and 9pm due to everyone being online, but that's not a testing type of change.

Is this normal? I mean if it sticks at that, then that's fine by me, but I thought it would go up and down a little before deciding.
    Dynamic Line Management (DLM) should aim for the fastest a line can go for a S/N ratio of 6dB - but your line must be running at or close to its 78Mb/s maximum rate (as measured user data rates will always be lower). There is then nowhere for DLM to go as the maximum speed is capped!

Being PlusNet you will have an OpenReach modem and won't be able to see what it is doing (unless this modem is one that can be hacked to reveal stats).

I can see some stats though my (BT) router and my Maximum upload/download speeds are currently reported as about 8200/56400 with S/Ns of 5.9/8.3 - I take this to mean that the upload speed (8200) has reached its limit for my line. My download speed (56400) is still steadily going up - but more slowly as I have gone >10days

DLM continues for ever - it just makes slower changes after the first 10 days!
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,066
    Forum Member
    When I first got ADSL during the 10 day training period, it changed many times as it worked out what the best stable speed was going to be.

There is no 10 day training period on FTTC products (yes I know it says there is on one of the emails you got and the call centre will tell you there is).

The cabinet just constantly analyses the connection from the day it is installed and dynamically alters the profile based on the amount of errors in a time period. Basically thresholds.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    The cabinet just constantly analyses the connection from the day it is installed and dynamically alters the profile based on the amount of errors in a time period. Basically thresholds.
    I thought DLM was just more aggressive for a while on a new line - but even this might be wrong!
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    So it will be ok to disconnect if I need to after the 10 period to swap things around etc for a short as possible and little as I can, as it's all dynamically adjusted?

Still, 73Mb/s is good enough for me, I just thought that it would change about over the first 10 days. And the 19Mb/s upload is great.
    "Being PlusNet you will have an OpenReach modem and won't be able to see what it is doing (unless this modem is one that can be hacked to reveal stats)."

Yup working on that! Give it a few weeks. :D
    Forum Member
    So it will be ok to disconnect if I need to after the 10 period to swap things around etc for a short as possible and little as I can, as it's all dynamically adjusted?
    It won't even make that much difference within the first few days! IF DLM is more aggressive initially it will soon restore any slight speed drop it might have made.
    Forum Member
    Good to hear. But it will be over 10 days anyway before I start modem hacking.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,066
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I thought DLM was just more aggressive for a while on a new line - but even this might be wrong!

No not that I'm aware of. The threshold setting doesn't change from the day it's installed. It's probably a better system really.

The OP's speed will likely decrease over the next few months but for a different reason. As the cabinet fils up the effect from crosstalk might reduce the speed slightly. But vectoring is in testing so that won't be forever anyway.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    No not that I'm aware of. The threshold setting doesn't change from the day it's installed. It's probably a better system really.

The OP's speed will likely decrease over the next few months but for a different reason. As the cabinet fils up the effect from crosstalk might reduce the speed slightly. But vectoring is in testing so that won't be forever anyway.

Yes, whilst there will of course be more connections to my fibre box, as my area is almost all buy-to-let houses full of ummm interesting people and I'm the only house owner who actually lives here, I can imagine take up of fibre on my box being well below normal.

As long as the DLM has a "go up" threshold as well as a "go down" threshold all should be well.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DLM sets the line speed wide open and knows what it is happy with within the first 15 minutes of the connection being made, it then monitors it a bit more closely for the next 24 hours and as Icaraa said the DLM just keeps an eye on it from then on.

This FUD about turning the modem off on FTTC will immediately kill your speed is utter bullshit and should be consigned to spend its life with Hades.

I dont mind a bit of tinkering and after 2 and a half years of unlocking modems, trying different filters, a few thunderstorms, a series of powercuts, swapping and changing routers like a good'un, 2 serious line faults one of which knocked my speeds down to 55/6 but the DLM recovered in less than a week back to full speed once the fault was fixed and a BT HH5 major order cock up my speed is still http://www.speedtest.net/result/3432994729.png and thats over WiFi.
    Forum Member
    Interesting! In all your tinkering did you find anything that is of benefit or of detriment to faster stable speed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not really lol

The HH5 is miles faster than the HH3 over WiFi but only if you are using 5GHz, if you only have 2.4GHz then there isnt much difference. The HH4 with OR modem was as fast at the HH5 over 5GHz but remember the HH4 is n not ac so it may well one day run out of puff, wired speeds are the same no matter which i use.

Before moving to Infinity i always used a router of my choice and i was determined to do the same on this but the Home Hubs have been that good i never bothered. Sure lots of the high end features are missing but how often do you use them anyway. The Home Hubs are simplicity its self and reliable.

The Mk II Openreach filter seems a little bit better than the original one and i found that the ADSLNation faceplate sat somewhere between the two.

I found no difference using the supplied skinny quid shop style RJ-11 cable, an ADSLNation one and a Belkin one.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info.

Can you see line stats and other info with BT Hubs or are they locked like their modems?

"I found no difference using the supplied skinny quid shop style RJ-11 cable, an ADSLNation one and a Belkin one" - Ah that explains why Mr Openreach almost fell off the step ladder when he saw the 0.5m Cat 6 cable that I had put in place of the skinny lead. :D (But it still looks sexier and there isn't miles of it hanging in a tight loop.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can see them in the HH5 on the helpdesk page.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
    2. Serial number:
    3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 03/01/14
    4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
    5. VDSL uptime: 2 days, 02:35:49
    6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
    7. Maximum data rate: 33184 / 111112
    8. Noise margin: 15.1 / 14.3
    9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 5.8
    Forum Member
    Might get a HH5 at a later date as some say they do work on PlusNet but as I'm connected by LAN cable and only have two TV that connect via Wi-Fi, I haven't found much fault with the cheap router they supply for free. A nice steady 73Mb/s down and 18.9Mb/s up does me just fine. (The TVs only update their firmware via Wi-Fi so nothing too taxing there.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem with the Plusnet router is the poor WiFi but if you're not using it then there isnt a problem :D