Amy's clothes in series 7 - continuity error?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
If TATM is supposed to be a few years on from DOAS, why is Amy still wearing the same stripey top and jeans? Doesn't seem seem likely for a fashion conscious former model!

Comments

• Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If TATM is supposed to be a few years on from DOAS, why is Amy still wearing the same stripey top and jeans? Doesn't seem seem likely for a fashion conscious former model!

My best-mate is a fashion designer/stylist/consultant. He often* wears clothes which are several years old.
    Seems pretty likely, or plausible, to me, that Amy would do the same.

*I really hope my mate never reads this (he might be a bit peeved at me "outing" him on this issue, :D).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't suppose there could be clues in what she wears ? ;):)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    You don't suppose there could be clues in what she wears ? ;):)

When she was in her nightie it was a clue she was recently in her bed. Clever old Moff. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    When she was in her nightie it was a clue she was recently in her bed. Clever old Moff. :)

That sarcasm will get you banned one day. :D
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't agree, it is more likely that they are watching the pennies (as they both don't seem to be in secure jobs). Some people wear clothes for a long time.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Don't agree, it is more likely that they are watching the pennies (as they both don't seem to be in secure jobs). Some people wear clothes for a long time.

A few holes don't matter and if it's falling to bits it's ok as long as it can make it to town and back without getting arrested for indecent exposure then it still is good to go
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few holes don't matter and if it's falling to bits it's ok as long as it can make it to town and back without getting arrested for indecent exposure then it still is good to go

:D:D

Have you been to my house:cool:.

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask about these things, as I never throw anything away unless it falls off by itself:D.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm a case in point i'm afraid. I have Next work suits that are ten years old that i still wear.I just update with new scarves or blouses. Suits with pure new wool tend to last better than synthetic fibres but if you look after them why shouldnt they last a few years especially these recession hit days.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do you get the idea that it's the same outfit? Looks totally different to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a case in point i'm afraid. I have Next work suits that are ten years old that i still wear.I just update with new scarves or blouses. Suits with pure new wool tend to last better than synthetic fibres but if you look after them why shouldnt they last a few years especially these recession hit days.

I actually agree, I don't like the "throw away" society we have become.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bought a leather jacket for my sixteenth so I wear it often it being outerwear. I'm now 28... I would still have boots contemporary with the 8th doctor if I hadnt accidently left them in a damp garage...
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Anyway the 11th Doctor is over 300 years old (in that incarnation) and still wears the same clothes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway the 11th Doctor is over 300 years old (in that incarnation) and still wears the same clothes

This! I noticed that 10 had way more costume changes. Though I did hate those red cons.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    :D:D

Have you been to my house:cool:.

Maybe I'm not the best person to ask about these things, as I never throw anything away unless it falls off by itself:D.

But Lach, your clothes are always falling off by themselves dahling. Try something more hard wearing than chiffon and ostrich feathers in future.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Rory was definitely only working part time, as he discusses going full time in The Power of Three. When Amy quit being a model, she became a journalist. Presumably freelance like Sarah Jane, she wouldn't have had a steady income. At least they had no mortgage to pay, because the Doctor bought their house for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I know people might still wear clothes that they have had for a few years. I have things in my wardrobe that are several years old.

I meant that I thought it unlikely that Amy would wear exactly the same clothes as several years ago, when going off on an adventure with the Doctor. I'm sure she would have one or two new things, even if she was having to be careful what she spent. But then again, maybe you would want to wear older clothes when travelling with the Doctor, in case your new things got messed up.

Anyway, I went back and looked at photos from both episodes, and although the jeans with the turn-ups might be the same, the jumper is actually different (wider stripes in DOAS, darker narrow stripes in TATM). I was going on memory alone, and I assumed they were the same, because it did not occur to me that the costume department might choose to give her two such similar outfits! It does seem a little odd.

Perhaps they were deliberately going for something bland and timeless, because of the fact that it is set a little way into the future, and we don't kmow what the latest trends will be at that point.