Republican help Please (UK/US)

13»

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From US perspective I can fully see why it would appear that way, given the US is generally more right wing than the UK but this is predominantly a UK website with the vast majority of forum members from the UK.

But from a UK perspective DS isn't as left wing biased as many people (even in the UK) seem to think, the constant threads bashing Muslims, benefit/welfare claimants etc. are testament to that.

This ^^^^

TxBelle, if you think there is a liberal bias on here you either don't read the thread titles or are flat out insane. :D
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    This ^^^^

TxBelle, if you think there is a liberal bias on here you either don't read the thread titles or are flat out insane. :D

just call me crazy......:D
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From US perspective I can fully see why it would appear that way, given the US is generally more right wing than the UK but this is predominantly a UK website with the vast majority of forum members from the UK.

But from a UK perspective DS isn't as left wing biased as many people (even in the UK) seem to think, the constant threads bashing Muslims, benefit/welfare claimants etc. are testament to that.

You mean there are people more liberal than here on DS walking the streets? oh my...:eek:
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Really?? :eek: How come? because i seem to spend most of my time arguing that no, the middle east does not deserve to get the shit bombed out of it, not all muslims are evil, not everyone who is unemployed is work shy, being gay is natural, the list goes on.

Maybe you and i have different ideas on what makes a liberal ;)[/QUOTE]

Im thinking we probably do.
  • GrimmGhostGrimmGhost Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any party in the UK to be like the US Republican Party, the UK must first become a Constitutional Federal Republic with N. Ireland, Scotland, Whales, England... to become independent states with their own state governments, laws, taxes, services...

Then an UK Republican Party would be for a limited federal government which deals with international affairs/ trade / protection, immigration, limited federal taxes... and the separate states have the power to deal with state issues and state ran social programs paid through state taxes.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrimmGhost wrote: »
    For any party in the UK to be like the US Republican Party, the UK must first become a Constitutional Federal Republic with N. Ireland, Scotland, Whales, England... to become independent states with their own state governments, laws, taxes, services...
    Like Germany.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    A Republican in this country means (as I am aware) a person that strives to bring in an elected head of state (of which I would like). How does this compare to the American Republican, which is a political party and voters of that party.

I could Google but I feel I will get a succinct answer from the good people of DS (and it will be more interesting)

Thanks in advance:)

I'd say it's simply a case of that particular group adopting the most emotive name possible in a country that prizes their status as a republic so highly.