Options

Abi Alton, the definition of mediocrity

Comments

• Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find listening to her voice similar to nails scrapping a blackboard.
  • Options
    Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I think you are getting muddled in your comparison.

Sheryl Crow saying that she is the best person to sing HER songs, despite admitting her vocal is not perfect, I get.

Comparing this to a contestant on a talent show, who covers songs she doesn't know, chosen for her by someone else is so far from what Sheryl was getting at it is laughable.

I guess you are wrong..

Except for Abi does write her own songs.

So within the very narrow constraints of the show, she is the only one who has demonstrated creativity.
  • Options
    Rick_JRick_J Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mediocre is high praise for her
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Bon Jo but seriously guys the original version sounds cheesy so she did do quite well. Remember Storm Lee doing this last time in the same way Bon Jo did? It was so mediocre and cheesy...and he came bottom of the votes that week.

Abi did well for herself.
    The original doesn't sound cheesy. What ARE you talking about?
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt awkward for her singing the group song just now, she just doesn't come across as someone who would enjoy singing a sexy song with a group of fame hungry extroverts.

I thought the cover of living on a prayer was a good piano composition and at times her voice was good, but the song wasn't in her key and you could hear her struggling to hit the notes.

I wish her well but her being in this competition makes me cringe, I love Birdy and Gabrielle Aplin so I'm sure I'd be a fan of her music I just want her out of the competition so she doesn't continue to sing forced songs that she struggles with.
  • Options
    locoherolocohero Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »

No way! Nails scraping a blackboard would sound much better.

:cool:
  • Options
    BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »

She hit more bum notes than the other 11 acts put together, yet the panel raved about her.
    I expected Gary, at least, to be honest.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    The original doesn't sound cheesy. What ARE you talking about?

Forgive me actually...I don't think I used the correct word. :o I actually love Bon Jo but all I meant was the original has been overdone...it's been covered by so many people that it's gotten so repetitive and old so it was nice to see Abi doing her own thing.

But apparently this version has been done before so whatever...:D
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    You are being too kind by saying mediocrity. Abysmal more like.
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel sorry for these little girls like Abi, Janet and so many that have gone before them. They are heralded as the next big thing in uniqueness and quirkiness which of course they are anything but.

Unfortunately, as young as they are and dreamers as we all are to an extent at that age, they fall for the hype and the (unwarranted) praise from the judges in the early weeks.

Once the producers see that they do not have significant voter support to sustain them to and beyond a recording studio, the tactics change and these young girls dreams are thrown under a bus and you can see them being visibly crushed for a couple of weeks on live TV before they are eventually released from their ordeal.

Abi (and Janet and Diana) are the X factors idea of quirky, kooky etc, but they style of this is quite limited, therefore they will end up as described in the final paragraph of the above post.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arnold1 wrote: »
    You negative lot are in the minority so there is something clearly wrong if you cannot tell quality when you hear it. My suggestion that you replace your speakers with better ones is a good way to fix the problems you are having.
    If you don't get it then maybe you need to replace the TV speakers you are using. Her voice is fantastically sweet when listened to using a good set of speakers. Get rid of those cheap plastic speakers you are all using. A good set is really not that expensive.
    What a negative soul you are looking at the LEAST favourite polls and not mentioning the favourite polls. She's third in the poll for favourite singer.
    The problem is with you. You're into your little conspiracies and that's clouding your judgment. Abi was fantastic as usual. She is my favourite and the polls agree she is one of the best in the competition. The polls are in agreement with the judges and that proves the conspiracy is all in your mind.

Why are you so defensive? People don't have to like Abi. It is not a requirement to watch this show. It is fans like this that really put me if posting about these so called "different" artists because they have such an affectation that supposedly makes them different. This was the same with Vickers, Janet and Auden Grimshaw, whom I absolutely, and still do, did nit like. Yet when giving perfectly valid reasons as to why I was told to go top myself by some über fan.

I've said it before if you can't handle criticism of your favourite then by all means please stay in the appreciation threads for your sanity. And this is not just for the FM quoted.
  • Options
    EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »
    Abi (and Janet and Diana) are the X factors idea of quirky, kooky etc, but they style of this is quite limited, therefore they will end up as described in the final paragraph of the above post.

Except Janet and Diana haven't, as they've already demonstrated support enough to sustain them into and beyond a recording studio in making their respective albums, touring (Janet at least, Diana's before my XF time and I'm not familiar with her), etc. I see nothing in Abi, her presence on the show mystifies me, but if she has a similar level of support then she'll most likely follow the other two into some manner of recording career.
  • Options
    JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand what you're all on about - yes it's not the best version of the song but all this stuff about her killing a decent song and singing out of tune simply means you don't like her style. She was great and she did sing in tune - I honestly don't know what DS was hearing.

She was a contrast and X Factor needs that, like Zoe who Im not sure is the singing teacher. She would have been a contrast too. This show is getting too boring with the same old, same old styles.
    I also think Abi could sing the American style pop princess songs, not that she would like them, but her voice lends itself to that winy sound.
  • Options
    darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    shes no Lorde and she has horrible dated styling - she was out of tune - but then usually the best singers are excluded before the live shows - x factor is a complete cheese fest
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her brand of quirky is so yesterday. I can see her do well but the tone of her voice can be very annoying.
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked her, she was my fav act of the night. Just feel she's got a bit more too her than the other acts. Kind of get the feeling she will be the James Arthur of this year, many hated how he sung but others loved the style, even though he didn't have the perfect voice. I think she's the same. Much prefer that to have a pretty face and therefore get praised even though singing rough (Sam C and also Luke) or boyband with nothing new or individual and singing is just blah (Kingsland Road.)
  • Options
    HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    I liked her, she was my fav act of the night. Just feel she's got a bit more too her than the other acts. Kind of get the feeling she will be the James Arthur of this year, many hated how he sung but others loved the style, even though he didn't have the perfect voice. I think she's the same. Much prefer that to have a pretty face and therefore get praised even though singing rough (Sam C and also Luke) or boyband with nothing new or individual and singing is just blah (Kingsland Road.)

James Arthur is a much, much stronger singer than Abi is.

I'm a bit bored of being told that I don't appreciate artists outside of the mainstream just because Abi can't hit notes properly. Bottom line is she has bad technique. You can have a unique tone, cool phrasing and wear all the quirky ribbons in your hair you like. It still doesn't give you a free pass from singing in tune.
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    si29uk wrote: »
    There are none so blind as those who don't want to see

And clearly there are none so deaf as those who don't want to hear.

She sang flat. She wasn't alone in doing that. But it was not a flawless vocal - and to say otherwise is to make yourself look foolish.

Talking about making oneself look foolish, it would appear that you have a major problem accepting the right of other people to hold a point of view that differs to your own without resorting to insult.
  • Options
    Robin TrippRobin Tripp Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Man, she was pish.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was more comfortable behind a piano.

She looked totally awkward trying to work the stage: :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmqiHse1L-U

And the following week wasn't much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7k12BNeL3E
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    She was more comfortable behind a piano.

for me she would have been more comfortable behind a soundproof wall
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    for me she would have been more comfortable behind a soundproof wall

Quite. One of the most ear-piercingly awful "singers" this show has ever seen. I'd rather see a series full of the best novelty acts of the series than ever see one of Abi's performances again.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A look back at what Sofabet said about Abi's journey:

http://sofabet.com/2013/11/14/abis-journey-a-case-study-in-x-factor-manipulation/
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

I love this article. Explains perfectly the hidden layer of X Factor, and probably the most memorable thing about Abi's whole experience of the show, to me.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Her voice doesn't stand out for me.

didn't for me either