Options

Watched Blade runner today

billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
Forum Member
Watched it in media studies the teacher was saying it is considered as one of the greatest films ever made. I thought it was ok not one of Harrisons best roles but it was fine. Dont understand why batty did not kill Deckard though :confused:

Comments

• Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he is more 'human than human'? I'm sure there's countless essays written about character motivation for every single person in Bladerunner. Anyway, it's a great film, best seen on a big screen, which shouldn't be too hard as they seem to re-release it in a slightly different format every other year.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the book, it's much better :cool:

(not that the film is rubbish, it is good - well, the director's cut is)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it in media studies the teacher was saying it is considered as one of the greatest films ever made. I thought it was ok not one of Harrisons best roles but it was fine. Dont understand why batty did not kill Deckard though :confused:

In the original (and best) version, Deckard's voiceover explains why. Ultimately life of any kind, even Deckard's, had come to have value to Batty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    In the original (and best) version, Deckard's voiceover explains why. Ultimately life of any kind, even Deckard's, had come to have value to Batty.

really we were told the original is the worst version because of the annoying voice over by harrison ford :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    really we were told the original is the worst version because of the annoying voice over by harrison ford :eek:

I just like voiceover and it fits Bladerunner's film noir vibe perfectly. Also I'm a sucker for happy endings.
    Ridley Scott's tinkerings, apart from removing the stunt double who looks nothing like Joanna Cassidy, don't really add much, except maybe to make it easier for Americans to understand.
    I thought the original was stunning and still do.
    Sadly, I don't think it's still available so we can't really compare.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always thought Ford was a little underwhelming in this, still an amazing film though.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Watched it in media studies the teacher was saying it is considered as one of the greatest films ever made.
    Hmm. Would an actual film studies tutor go so far, I ask myself?

I always thought people get carried away with the whole look of the film rather than the film itself.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally - I like the voiceover. My "ideal" version would be the original version (with voiceover) + the unicorn scene.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

As mentioned by IronJade, The original Bladrunner is at its heart a film noir so the voice over was and is (if fans can appreciate this edition) an integral ingredient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    Personally - I like the voiceover. My "ideal" version would be the original version (with voiceover) + the unicorn scene.

I cringed at the unicorn scene, wobbly horn and all. It looked like an outtake from "Legend".
    Clearly, Ridley Scott wanted to make the best movie he could but sometimes one's first idea is the best.
    Trowelling on imagery so even the slow kids at the back can understand it doesn't necessarily make for a better movie.
    The fact that people still argue the toss about "Bladerunner" almost 30 years since it was released, points up the fact the most of Ridley Scott's subsequent movies have been beautifully made, well acted, devoid of ideas and duller than hell.:yawn:
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    Read the book, it's much better :cool:

(not that the film is rubbish, it is good - well, the director's cut is)

which one of ~7 directors cut versions is that?!?!? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think the book was a masterpiece either, to be honest. Most of Dick's stuff seems like drug-fuelled, unreadable rambling . . . or maybe it's just to deep for me.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cringed at the unicorn scene, wobbly horn and all. It looked like an outtake from "Legend".
    Clearly, Ridley Scott wanted to make the best movie he could but sometimes one's first idea is the best.
    Trowelling on imagery so even the slow kids at the back can understand it doesn't necessarily make for a better movie.
    The fact that people still argue the toss about "Bladerunner" almost 30 years since it was released, points up the fact the most of Ridley Scott's subsequent movies have been beautifully made, well acted, devoid of ideas and duller than hell.:yawn:

Am very much looking forward to Robin Hood though. Still think the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a tremendous film even if seemingly the majority (not included in this) regard the male lead as wooden and useless and Scott as past his best.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think the book was a masterpiece either, to be honest. Most of Dick's stuff seems like drug-fuelled, unreadable rambling . . . or maybe it's just to deep for me.:)

I think it's a mixture, I'm a massive PKD fan and I still can't work out if his work is sometimes too deep for me or if it's just drugged out nonsense, I presume it's the former
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    I think it's a mixture, I'm a massive PKD fan and I still can't work out if his work is sometimes too deep for me or if it's just drugged out nonsense, I presume it's the former

You may well be right. I gave up after "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch": life's too short.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just like voiceover and it fits Bladerunner's film noir vibe perfectly. Also I'm a sucker for happy endings.
    Ridley Scott's tinkerings, apart from removing the stunt double who looks nothing like Joanna Cassidy, don't really add much, except maybe to make it easier for Americans to understand.
    I thought the original was stunning and still do.
    Sadly, I don't think it's still available so we can't really compare.
    Oh the irony.... the voic over was added because of test screenings with American audiences - they didn't understand what was going on. It was never intended to be there and both Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott hated it, but the studio insisted.

Also, the original threatrical cut IS available (along with the Director's Cut, The Final Cut and a working print) in to 5 disk special edition (DVD or Blu)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the irony.... the voic over was added because of test screenings with American audiences - they didn't understand what was going on. It was never intended to be there and both Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott hated it, but the studio insisted.

Also, the original threatrical cut IS available (along with the Director's Cut, The Final Cut and a working print) in to 5 disk special edition (DVD or Blu)

Further irony in a studio exec actually being right about something.
    I'd forgotten about the boxset.:o
    I still have my copy from the original VHS.
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh blast! I take a day from browsing the Movie Forum and I miss the start of a new Blade Runner thread.

These are always fun. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By who, your tutor? Surely it's not their job to dictate which version is better?
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought people get carried away with the whole look of the film rather than the film itself.

Film is a visual medium, so the look is a critical aspect of the "film itself". The cinematography contributes to the storytelling.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Anachrony wrote: »
    The cinematography contributes to the storytelling.
    As it wants to be considered noir, okay, but what of the pacing, editing and all round handling of the story?

Bladerunner is lovely to look at for sure, but as a narrative it's pretty feeble and generally lacks the weightiness it aspires to. Always struck me as a bit of a bore, to be honest. But as someone else has said, Ridley Scott's films mostly are.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the movie either, not even the look of it. To be a contender for greatest film ever, a film really has to be strong all around, including aesthetics, but not limited to that. But my taste leans more toward entertainment value than artistic merit, so I wouldn't presume to even try coming up with a list of the greatest movies of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    By who, your tutor? Surely it's not their job to dictate which version is better?

I found it strange, but perhaps film criticism has now become a case of "my opinion is the only one that matters". I am fed up of being told, for instance that I should worship Quentin Tarantino and to regard Pulp Fiction as the best film ever made or that I am wrong because I rate Alien3 above Aliens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »

well it may have been his opinion i am going to check out the voiceover version today anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    or that I am wrong because I rate Alien3 above Aliens.

In this case, you are demonstrably, scientifically and objectively wrong to do so.

:D