Options

Nancy was really annoying tonight in EE

popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Throughout tonight's EE episode Nancy was moaning about working in the pub and being taken for granted. Can't say I had any sympathy for her

Her complaint to Mick was that Lee and Johnny hardly ever worked. Well given that Lee was back from working in the army in active service on leave it would be a bit harsh to expect him to work and Johnny is at university and also working at Sharon's bar. Nancy does sod all as far I can see so doing a few shifts at the pub for her parents who give her a roof and feed her is not much to ask for.

If Nancy actually decided to do something with her life (ie find a job) I am sure Mick would not ask her to work in the pub! I thought Mick was too easy on her and should I have told her some home truths and got her to do something with her life rather than waste it away

Comments

• Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was made clear that Nancy wanted to join the army but her having epilepsy meant she couldn't join and hence why there is more of a sibling rivilary between Nancy and Lee. Nancy isn't studious like Johnny so University is out the question, I guess Nancy isn't sure what career path to take and that is why she works more at the Vic. Nancy is by far the best young female character we have had in the show for ages.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Can't stand her she is the worst Carter by far.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Nancy is an absolute sweetheart....best of the bunch.:kitty:
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from her saying that Johnny doesn't pull his weight (come on, Nancy, he juggles two jobs plus a university degree!) I don't think she said anything especially untrue.

I wish they'd give her a storyline outside of the pub, though. Hopefully her feelings of resentment are leading up to a storyline for her.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    It was made clear that Nancy wanted to join the army but her having epilepsy meant she couldn't join and hence why there is more of a sibling rivilary between Nancy and Lee. Nancy isn't studious like Johnny so University is out the question, I guess Nancy isn't sure what career path to take and that is why she works more at the Vic. Nancy is by far the best young female character we have had in the show for ages.

How :confused: She was saved from marrying a no mark by her Dad (:blush:) carrying her out of the service, she has no qualifications and her job is helping out in the family's pub. She seems completely directionless but luckily for her has a family that will keep her well into her adulthood. What about Lola who looks after a child and has a job she got / trained for herself or Whitney who is training to work with children or Abi who is studying or even Lauren who helped start a business with Lucy after over coming alcoholism.

If you ask me Nancy needs to pull her socks up :cool:
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has every right to moan, she's always helping out in the pub and the one day she wanted to hang out with her mates she can't. The 'little sausage' and 'my soldier' hardly do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    She has every right to moan, she's always helping out in the pub and the one day she wanted to hang out with her mates she can't. The 'little sausage' and 'my soldier' hardly do anything.

The soldier is in Afghanistan and the little sausage has a job and is in university. Nancy is a paid (:o) employee of the pub so at least could do something for those wages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Johnny seems to work in the Vic just as much as Nancy, plus has another job at the Albert (even if we never get any scenes in there), plus is doing a law degree. Honestly I love Nancy but Johnny does a LOT more than she does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The soldier is in Afghanistan and the little sausage has a job and is in university. Nancy is a paid (:o) employee of the pub so at least could do something for those wages.

She's always working and since it was a bank holiday she obviously had that day off and planned something with her friends, so I can understand why she was angry. Linda, Shirley and Tina could have worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Johnny seems to work in the Vic just as much as Nancy, plus has another job at the Albert (even if we never get any scenes in there), plus is doing a law degree. Honestly I love Nancy but Johnny does a LOT more than she does.

Yes Johnny has other things to do, but all I ever see is Nancy working behind the bar, Johnny gets to hang out with his mates but when Nancy wants to she has to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She's always working and since it was a bank holiday she obviously had that day off and planned something with her friends, so I can understand why she was angry. Linda, Shirley and Tina could have worked.
    Yes Johnny has other things to do, but all I ever see is Nancy working behind the bar, Johnny gets to hang out with his mates but when Nancy wants to she has to work.

People in the leisure industry have to work on a Bank Holiday though. She needs to get a job out of the family business IMO as I don't think she's ever going to be happy there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But we've had just as many scenes of Johnny working behind the bar as Nancy, in fact the other day I was wondering why he appears to still be one one of the main bar staff there when he's meant to be working at The Albert. The majority of his scenes with his friends have taken place during or just after he's finished work, and there have been plenty of scenes where Nancy has appeared where she hasn't been working.

Saying Johnny "hardly does anything" just isn't true. Lee appeared to be a bit of a lazy git but tbf he was on leave. I honestly think Shirley and Tina are the ones that need to pull their weight a bit more. Tina especially, always 'goin' dahn Soho" instead of helping out at the place she probably stays rent free. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People in the leisure industry have to work on a Bank Holiday though. She needs to get a job out of the family business IMO as I don't think she's ever going to be happy there.

I agree with this. Nancy has got a father who dotes on her and would probably help her financially to do anything she wants. Though I think maybe Nancy's confidence might not be as great as she makes out, due to her epilepsy. I really hope today's episode was the start of some decent character development for her.
  • Options
    ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her brothers get a break from what they do, so she should get some time away from behind that bar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I agree with this. Nancy has got a father who dotes on her and would probably help her financially to do anything she wants. Though I think maybe Nancy's confidence might not be as great as she makes out, due to her epilepsy. I really hope today's episode was the start of some decent character development for her.

Very much agree. I don't really know why people like her so much currently as she just seems spoilt tbh. She needs to get herself a career away from the pub IMO.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When does Johnny hang out with his mates? The only time I remember is when he went to Lauren's house to remember Lucy and a couple times with Whitney. What I find odd is why it hasn't been alluded to Johnny having mates from uni. Surely he's got some? :confused: It can't just be people from Albert Square.

On one hand, I do get Nancy's frustration but on the other hand, her brothers are very busy doing other things. Nancy doesn't have much going for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very much agree. I don't really know why people like her so much currently as she just seems spoilt tbh. She needs to get herself a career away from the pub IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Nancy but I think at the moment I like her more for her potential than anything she's currently doing. I think she's got all the makings of a really strong young female character, I'd just like to know a lot more about what makes her tick and why she has this apathy to her personality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Can't stand her she is the worst Carter by far.

i think they could do a lot more with the character Nancy bit she is not the worst carter
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nancy has annoyed me full stop. Ever since she outed johnny. They have been in it long enough now for me to say that Nancy is the weakest link in The Carters. But her scenes with Danny dyer are a delight though.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think Shirley and Tina are the ones that need to pull their weight a bit more. Tina especially, always 'goin' dahn Soho" instead of helping out at the place she probably stays rent free.

Too right. We had Shirley lolling around with a pint of beer, propping up the bar.

As for Nancy? She's a troublemaker. She kicks off at the slightest thing - usually involving Johnny.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    As trevor tiger said: 'Nancy needs to pull her socks up' - why does she wear those socks? Why doesn't she dress more feminine? :confused:
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    Nancy is like the "Abi get the door" of the Carter household.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if she is just helping out, then yes, she does have a right to moan BUT if she is actually getting paid for her work and has set working hours (do we know either way??) then no, she doesnt have any right to moan
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    As trevor tiger said: 'Nancy needs to pull her socks up' - why does she wear those socks? Why doesn't she dress more feminine? :confused:

Because she doesn't want to, and she lives in a society where she can wear whatever she likes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Nancy, don't find her annoying at all....but I don't like the way they seem to be pushing Dexter and her together. This needs to stop :(