Quinoa

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
In this day and age of middle-class food "intolerances", I notice people who claim to be Coeliac (read: won't eat pizza like us common folk) are now turning to quinoa.
Not content with eating the tasteless seeds from a rather ugly weed, they take the pretension to the next level by not pronouncing it quinoa, but "kee-nwah".
I wonder if such people should be sent (Virgin Upper) to a Dignitas clinic before the food that we've eating for millenia sends them to an early grave anyway? (That being a hole in the ground, pronounced "grah-vey").

Comments

• farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U wot m8
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never tried quinoa............is it a bit like cous-cous ?

I like cous-cous........started having it instead of rice with curries because it's so quick and easy to make

The one to be very wary of is Chia seeds..........totally horrible, slimy.......I imagine frogspawn or wallpaper paste would be similar.......:o
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

I like cous-cous........started having it instead of rice with curries because it's so quick and easy to make

The one to be very wary of is Chia seeds..........totally horrible, slimy.......I imagine frogspawn or wallpaper paste would be similar.......:o

Cous-cous is just pasta in another form (little wheat balls).
    Quinoa, or Keenwar, is the seed of something that is related to tumbleweed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    related to tumbleweed.

could be apt.........:p
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    < snip> before the food that we've eating for millenia sends them to an early grave anywa

Like quinoa? Wiki says it was domesticated 3,000-4,000 years ago. Or is this thread about British food for British people? None of that foreign muck, eh? :D
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Like quinoa? Wiki says it was domesticated 3,000-4,000 years ago. Or is this thread about British food for British people? None of that foreign muck, eh? :D

Like pizza 🍕 for the common folk :-D
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Like pizza 🍕 for the common folk :-D

I'm not even going to ask how lemoncurd pronounces pizza! :p
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In this day and age of middle-class food "intolerances", I notice people who claim to be Coeliac (read: won't eat pizza like us common folk) are now turning to quinoa.
    Not content with eating the tasteless seeds from a rather ugly weed, they take the pretension to the next level by not pronouncing it quinoa, but "kee-nwah".
    I wonder if such people should be sent (Virgin Upper) to a Dignitas clinic before the food that we've eating for millenia sends them to an early grave anyway? (That being a hole in the ground, pronounced "grah-vey").

Intolerant much?
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nutritious seed...... the rats love it.:p
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'm not even going to ask how lemoncurd pronounces pizza! :p

"puh-ZARR"
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Food Nazi found alive and well in 2014."
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like quinoa.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was that mad woman on telly who called herself a Doctor and made people poo in boxes and then examined the contents?

She was a big fan of Quinoa and she was the most unhealthy looking person I ever laid eyes on. :D:D:D
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind quinoa, been eating long before it was on the telly.

I prefer bulgar wheat though.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you get a dodgy batch or something? I chuck Chia into the pot when I remember to, but it's never gone all frogspawn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Did you get a dodgy batch or something? I chuck Chia into the pot when I remember to, but it's never gone all frogspawn.

this is the one I tried.......

http://www.maximumsports-nutrition.com/chia-pod.html?gclid=COmd2ZL2v8ECFY_ItAod2E4Ang

they were giving them away on a stall near me as a marketing exercise........:o
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they take the pretension to the next level by not pronouncing it quinoa, but "kee-nwah".

Yeah, fancy them pronouncing it the way it's meant to be pronounced!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only ever had it once or twice.

It's weird? I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Its not horrid as such - just bizarre.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is the one I tried.......

http://www.maximumsports-nutrition.com/chia-pod.html?gclid=COmd2ZL2v8ECFY_ItAod2E4Ang

they were giving them away on a stall near me as a marketing exercise........:o

Ooh, no. I picked up a bag of Chia seeds from Holland and Barrett and sling a handful in curries and chillies and anything else when I remember. Those pots look too hardcore for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Quinoa- I get terrible tummy pains with pasta and someone suggested trying it as an alternative and I really love it. It is bland but if cook it with stock and garlic and seasoning it's nice.

I make it and stir Parmesan cheese into it and sprinkle Parmesan on the top and grill it, have it with some spicy sweet potato chips. Really nice and healthy too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I remember trying it when that awful "you are what you eat" woman was on the television years ago. I am convinced eating that stuff is what made her look so very bad.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's worth flying anyone Upper class just to Switzerland, it's less than two hours.

Dignitas is not the best euthanasia centre anyway. Try. Quit in the Valais, it's much nicer.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Who was that mad woman on telly who called herself a Doctor and made people poo in boxes and then examined the contents?

She was a big fan of Quinoa and she was the most unhealthy looking person I ever laid eyes on. :D:D:D

Gillian Mckeith. She was a fraud. She spouted stuff like "Eat more stuff with chlorophyll as it will help oxygenate your bowels" as if the sun shines there.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Mckeith. She was a fraud. She spouted stuff like "Eat more stuff with chlorophyll as it will help oxygenate your bowels" as if the sun shines there.

I wonder what happened to her, she was last seen on IACGMOOH wasnt she?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to her, she was last seen on IACGMOOH wasnt she?

The TV work started drying up once it started coming to wider attention that she had no credible scientific or medical qualifications.