30 minutes to get ready?yeah,sure!

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    cant remember who it was but given one of the guys this week had the time to blow dry his armpits then I guess they had longer than 20 minutes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    cant remember who it was but given one of the guys this week had the time to blow dry his armpits then I guess they had longer than 20 minutes

The armpit drying could have been done at anytime, just because it was shown after the phone call it doesn't mean it was done after the phone call, it was edited afterwards because that is how they do things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amici wrote: »
    I always wonder what would happen if they just ignored the phone.

Am I imagining things or did that actually happen in one series? It could have been in the Junior Apprentice.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    Am I imagining things or did that actually happen in one series? It could have been in the Junior Apprentice.

I don't think it's ever happened. There was one occasion on Junior Apprentice when no one picked it up straight away, but it just rang and rang until someone did.
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Francesca from last year doing a radio interview last week and one of the questions asked was "Do you REALLY only have 20 minutes to get ready?"
    She said "yes" but didn't sound too convincing. She did say that some candidates got up earlier though and that the film crew arriving indicated the phone was about to ring and so people started getting ready accordingly.

I agree though particularly in the early stages for practical reasons it just wouldn't be possible for so many people to get ready in such a short space of time even if some do get a head start, particularly those who want to look immaculate,and that's not just the women!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ladies would be all dressed and good to go within 30 mins but the Apprentice boys are a different breed and would need 2 hours to get their hair perfect
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The armpit drying could have been done at anytime, just because it was shown after the phone call it doesn't mean it was done after the phone call, it was edited afterwards because that is how they do things.

Correct. Same with candidates waking up and whatnot. This could be done before the phone. Some cutaways/random shots could be taken from different days.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'd imagine the commotion of the film crew arriving would wake everyone anyway. Although last week when they did meet Sugar for the brief Roisin's hair looked a bit scruffy at the start of the day.

And they likely takes tons of "wake up" shots over 1 or 2 days and use it for the whole series.
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,849
    Forum Member
    I never understand why they are expected to sleep in dormitory style accommodation. These aren't kids taking part in a youth show; they're adults. I'd never take part in the show if I was expected to sleep in a single bed in a crowded room. I wouldn't be able to sleep properly in those conditions anyway. As business people, why can't they be put up in a hotel in a civilised manner?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's ever happened. There was one occasion on Junior Apprentice when no one picked it up straight away, but it just rang and rang until someone did.

Be funny if they just unplugged it and went back to bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    I never understand why they are expected to sleep in dormitory style accommodation. These aren't kids taking part in a youth show; they're adults. I'd never take part in the show if I was expected to sleep in a single bed in a crowded room. I wouldn't be able to sleep properly in those conditions anyway. As business people, why can't they be put up in a hotel in a civilised manner?

I've always thought the same. The mansions they stay in every year must have multiple bedrooms but they all seem to be squashed into a few rooms. I don't believe the 20 minute deadline for one second. All those showers, washing hair, ironing shirts etc. - no way.
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 - I agree with you wholeheartedly. But presumably the dorm idea may lead to extra aggro and stress - and tension between candidates leads to interesting viewing.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the actress that plays the receptionist, she has to get up early too
    She doesn't have to be in a studio and made up though. Anyway early starts are the norm for TV production.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I've always thought the same. The mansions they stay in every year must have multiple bedrooms but they all seem to be squashed into a few rooms. I don't believe the 20 minute deadline for one second. All those showers, washing hair, ironing shirts etc. - no way.
    These are luxury houses, not hotels. So there will be a number of large bedrooms, but not 16 or more. Starting off with 16 candidates there's bound to be a need to share to begin with. This year even more so with 20 of them.

If each bedroom has an en-suite and there are a couple of bathrooms then that's a fair amount of washing and grooming space. But the twenty minute thing is still pushing credibility too far. Not even enough time to have a cup of coffee. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we just ignoring editorial bias, the fact that they could have 20 minutes when the cars come and that they are all already getting ready by the time the call is made? Seriously why is the 20 minutes to get ready thing being taken so literally? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we just ignoring editorial bias, the fact that they could have 20 minutes when the cars come and that they are all already getting ready by the time the call is made? Seriously why is the 20 minutes to get ready thing being taken so literally? :confused:
    No, we aren't ignoring the fact it's just edited that way. It's obvious that is the case. They always show someone just waking up after the call is taken, then everyone getting ready. It's clearly not credible it can all happen in 20 minutes so why do they pretend that it is?

In reality some of them probably are up before the call, but it's never shown. So the "story" being told is that the call wakes everyone up and they are all ready 20 minutes later. The essence of the thread is to question this pretence.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    No, we aren't ignoring the fact it's just edited that way. It's obvious that is the case. They always show someone just waking up after the call is taken, then everyone getting ready. It's clearly not credible it can all happen in 20 minutes so why do they pretend that it is?

In reality some of them probably are up before the call, but it's never shown. So the "story" being told is that the call wakes everyone up and they are all ready 20 minutes later. The essence of the thread is to question this pretence.

Im amazed people still question what is "real" when so little of it actually is. Do they realy think its not scripted when they have them all sitting in a room for the "so who do you think is coming back" chat ? Also the "story" being told is also that there is a real boardroom with a real receptionist. You do realise thats not real too dont you ?
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Im amazed people still question what is "real" when so little of it actually is. Do they realy think its not scripted when they have them all sitting in a room for the "so who do you think is coming back" chat ? Also the "story" being told is also that there is a real boardroom with a real receptionist. You do realise thats not real too dont you ?

Of course the boardroom is real, what do you think it is, some kind of stage or somthing. They obviously must have a lot more room in there for all the cameras and production equipment but the arguments and firing is real. They're not going to stop two people from arguing because the lighting wasn't quite right. I think there must be a lot more said in the boardroom than is shown, which I would really like to see.

I think they are very crafty with their editing, they usually make it seem as if both teams have the potential to lose when surely there must sometimes be an obvious winning and losing team. A couple of seasons they used to really edit it to make it look like one team was doing really well and the other doing awfully and then go for the shocker at the end where the team portrayed to do well loses but fortunately they've seemed to stop doing that so much now.

Going back to the topic, 20mins is deff a lie!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Luckily I'm a guy so I never have this problem...wake up, throw on the first things I see, brush teeth, brush hair and I'm out! :3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why on earth would the production team take the time to script some relatively banal chatter and then get a group of twenty-or-so non-actors to both memorise their lines and recite them convincingly all to fill a few seconds' airtime when they can just point a camera at them and ask them to guess?

I don't know why people think TV crews expend time and effort adding fakeness to their programmes when reality is both easier and more engaging. The boardroom isn't Lord Sugar's real boardroom because you'd never get a camera crew into his real boardroom. There's a sense to it. Reality TV is a constructed narrative, but it's not arbitrarily constructed, they're not scripting things just for the sake of it. If a TV show wants to make its contestants explode off each other, it stuffs them into a tiny bedroom, wakes them up at midnight and makes them fight over the showers, it doesn't pamper them then hand them a script.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Why on earth would the production team take the time to script some relatively banal chatter and then get a group of twenty-or-so non-actors to both memorise their lines and recite them convincingly all to fill a few seconds' airtime when they can just point a camera at them and ask them to guess?

I don't know why people think TV crews expend time and effort adding fakeness to their programmes when reality is both easier and more engaging. The boardroom isn't Lord Sugar's real boardroom because you'd never get a camera crew into his real boardroom. There's a sense to it. Reality TV is a constructed narrative, but it's not arbitrarily constructed, they're not scripting things just for the sake of it. If a TV show wants to make its contestants explode off each other, it stuffs them into a tiny bedroom, wakes them up at midnight and makes them fight over the showers, it doesn't pamper them then hand them a script.
    brewer480 wrote: »
    Of course the boardroom is real, what do you think it is, some kind of stage or somthing. They obviously must have a lot more room in there for all the cameras and production equipment but the arguments and firing is real. They're not going to stop two people from arguing because the lighting wasn't quite right. I think there must be a lot more said in the boardroom than is shown, which I would really like to see.

I think they are very crafty with their editing, they usually make it seem as if both teams have the potential to lose when surely there must sometimes be an obvious winning and losing team. A couple of seasons they used to really edit it to make it look like one team was doing really well and the other doing awfully and then go for the shocker at the end where the team portrayed to do well loses but fortunately they've seemed to stop doing that so much now.

Going back to the topic, 20mins is deff a lie!

Ok the boardroom is actually a studio - they even concede in the application form that due to the nature of Lord Sugar's real boardroom they have a studio built one specifically for the purposes of the show but in every other way it is treated much as a boardroom would be even if there is more drama there than in an average boardroom. Point is that yes some of it is "fake" but to all intents and purposes the show is "real" for want of a better word, it is just editing warps certain situations and can make them seem much worse or better than they really were.
    allafix wrote: »

How would you edit it then? You have exactly the same cuts to put together how would you put it together so that it still flowed coherently and gave a more accurate picture? The edit may not reflect what is going on exactly but does that really matter? I just don't understand what the problem is, big deal they are condensing things in a certain way and people don't like it because its not accurate? Would you rather a time synced precisely order version? Because I'm telling you now that it would be a lot duller than what they have been doing. It creates tension editing the way they do which is the purpose of the edit to illustrate how the candidates must feel even if they have longer than is insinuate. I'm sorry but I think a mountain is being made of a mole hill here and there doesn't even need to be a mole hill here! Can't we all just get along nice and enjoy the show with out picking every stray thread? :confused: :cool: :confused:
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meet at the (insert your own venue). Ah! F**k it I can't be arsed, :D
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    Mass firing, no winner and the shortest series ever....???:D

Ah - we're right on course then! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah - we're right on course then! :p

Zing!
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While we are discussing the "real" nature of the boardroom, I have to say that the set does not resemble any boardroom I've ever seen in 40 years of business experience. Few businesses would bother to designate a room only for board meetings; they would just use a meeting room. For larger firms that can afford it, a dedicated room would have windows and a nice view, side tables, enough seats for everyone plus facilities for secretaries and assistants, plus drinks cabinets / fridge, pictures on the walls, pulldown screens for presentations.... such rooms are designed for people to work together and make decisions in a cool and comfortable environment, not for being grilled under the lights by "the boss". Only in TV do you find such a concept.