What are your feelings on a female Doctor

13»

Comments

• Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Jules, you appear to be directing questions you have about Claire2281's comments at me. I am answering/commenting on "I'm at a loss as to what people think would actually be different about how the character is written." I am sure 2281 will be along presently to respond to you...
    Like you, I accept that such a change would need a different approach. Arguing that it would make no difference is redundant and inaccurate. With or without ' Missy', the comments made about the Corsair established that it is possible for Time lords to change sex. The question is, would the changes in approach that would be required to deliver the characterisation of a female Doctor be acceptable or fundamentally change the show? Some say Yes, some say No.

I say no then.

I don't actually accept that changes in approach would be required to deliver the characterisation of a female Doctor. I think the Doctor is ultimately androgynous even though some writing and characterisation has leaned towards the Doctor being male (some would argue) because he has been cast a male actor to date.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hate there to be a female Doctor. I think that there would be an awful lot of people who wouldn't bother to watch. A female Doctor would only be done for novelty value, it's a ridiculous idea. A spin off show with a female time traveller would be ok but a long established male character turned into a female, why? How about a female James Bond or Sherlock Holmes? What is the point? I'm sure that there are many female roles that wouldn't work as males, and there would be an outcry if a prominant female role was taken over by a man.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say no then.

I don't actually accept that changes in approach would be required to deliver the characterisation of a female Doctor. I think the Doctor is ultimately androgynous even though some writing and characterisation has leaned towards the Doctor being male (some would argue) because he has been cast a male actor to date.

Good for you!!
  • CrowleySrCrowleySr Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Lazy stunt casting to keep a dying show in the headlines. Until then, the show doesn't need it

Anytime a recurring character returns, do we get 5 mins of exposition to explain it away?

If anyone wants to debate transgender issues, take it elsewhere. This is a Sci-Fi show for families that goes out on a Saturday night. Doctor Who is about entertainment
  • lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I'd rather he stay male as he's alreays been male when I've watched it. I do have one question though. Since those what want the Doctor to stay male are sexist. Why must we have a female Doctor? All the talk about it I've not really read any where why the doctor must be female. People as why he must be male not I'd like to ask the opposite.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before last week I thought it shouldn't and won't happen.

Now with the Missy thing and the Queen line I think it shouldn't happen but probably will.

I know all the arguments why it could I just don't want it too. And I don't see the need for it.

Romana in the Gallifrey (audio) series is pretty kick ass, want a female fronted show use another character.

I don't want a females James bond or a male miss marble. But yes I get that is different but in my mind, female Doc: no thanks!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I see all the time from posters is "As long as they cast the best actress, it will be fine. It will work!"

Well, please kindly tell me, how do you know it will work and more importantly, would you really be happy to risk the show? Once viewers drift away their loyalty drifts away with it. Without viewers, there's no show. I am intrigued as to why you are all convinced it would be business as usual?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No difference. The Doctor is Alien. He has two hearts! Who says he hasn't got two of something else, or three or four of that matter? ;-)

The problem really boils down to people just seeing the Doctor as intrinsically male because that's what he has always been.

But the Doctor has always been an Alien. Not gender specific I believe.

It's a silly statement to make though Jules. The Doctor is alien yes. Viewers know that. But he isnt alien in the way us mere humans perceive aliens to be. That was a deliberate instalment on our mindset from the offset. Infact, even in tonights episode he was made president of all humankind which demonstrates how he is identified by those watching him. It's easy to assume that because he's alien he can change gender and no one would mind.

But, what no one is considering, the viewers watching the show are human! The show and this alien was conceived and created by humans for humans. As far as I know I don't know any Galifreyans personally, so therefore it is important to keep the show true to what the mere humans perceive it to be. Changing the gender would change the show, exactly for that reason.
  • Matt_WilsonMatt_Wilson Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I think Missy, played wonderfully by Michelle Gomez, has blown the female Doctor would be a disaster idea out of the water.

It is down to the writing and us having an open mind. It won't signal the end of the show as for every one that turns off I would wager it will signal more turning on. New-Who has a lot of female fans around the world and men that don't give a crap. It will be a bit like when John Peel stopped playing prog and started playing punk. He lost some listeners but gained new ones.

Of course there is one fear from me. That is Peter Capaldi will regenerate into Sarah Millican. But that is just my subjective taste.

For all of you who don't want a female Doctor this is your Davros. Be warned she will push your buttons, in a funny way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMb1ulCXg4&list=UU-p8Eaq7vTezQH_fCl2qegQ&index=2
    You have got to be kidding me she was ****ing awful. I don't get this universal praise for Michelle Gomez's performance she was ****ing horrendous. She couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Moffat turned the Master into a kinky oversexed Mary poppins who has a thing for the Doctors nose and you lot are saying that's proof that the first female dotor wont be a disaster. Now fair enough she isn't proof that it will be as just because Moffat couldn't write a woman if his life depended on it doesn't mean others couldn't but still I cannot believe anyone would say Missy has swayed them she was ****ing awful
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why anyone would want the doctor to change sex. For what reason? Other than some silly idea that it is sexist not to want a woman. How would it improve the show?

I would prefer the doctor to stay male. If the character became female the show would probably just lose a lot of viewers. You can cry sexism all you like but that's what would happen.
  • Matt_WilsonMatt_Wilson Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Some sense on the matter. [Applaud]
    WHAT! what is this praise for Michelle Gomez's performance is everyone jut too scared to say she was shit because she was a woman adn they don't want to look sexist. She was ****ing awful. You honestly think the Master being turned into another Moffat female prototype was a good thing? you think the master as a hammy, ott kinky mary poppins was a good thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would want the doctor to change sex. For what reason? Other than some silly idea that it is sexist not to want a woman. How would it improve the show?

I would prefer the doctor to stay male. If the character became female the show would probably just lose a lot of viewers. You can cry sexism all you like but that's what would happen.

I will back you up here.

It is NOT sexist to want the Doctor to remain male.
    Infact I'd say it is far more sexist to change the gender to deliberately install a female in the role. That is positive discrimination. I would also think most female actors are not or ever have been considering playing The Doctor because it is effectively a male role.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind principally, but I don't think think they'd ever be able to pull it off. It'd either be stunt casting or they'd make it too much about gender which imo would defeat the point.
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I will back you up here.

It is NOT sexist to want the Doctor to remain male.
    Infact I'd say it is far more sexist to change the gender to deliberately install a female in the role. That is positive discrimination. I would also think most female actors are not or ever have been considering playing The Doctor because it is effectively a male role.

Correct. It has worked so well for 50 years & why change something that aint broke.
    Sadly i get a bad feeling that when the dr mentioned about being a queen the next or next one after that will be played by a woman.