Options

Android 5.0 update

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now installed on my LG G3 (Polish ROM) and it's very nice on that. Still has the original Android soft key icons and LG's own quick selection icons over native Android, plus the phone is no longer getting red hot for no obvious reason (I did a full reset as I knew something was causing a problem before that can't have been normal).
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As jonner101 (eventually) described, it basically throws the launcher into confusion as to whether it's on the home screen or the App/Widget drawer, and tries to display one over the other.

I've taken a video of it in action here (it took a couple of attempts to get it to trigger - it's not something I'd ever have stumbled upon!).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6I5ugLWtm73OHBEbHgzY0EzeGs/view?pli=1

Yep,

Probably a timing issue in that the home screen is displayed but the widget screen has not been removed off the screen stack correctly.

Sometimes it needs a reboot, other times it will correct itself.

Surprised this wasn't found in beta, but I think like Apple they are putting themselves under too much pressure to release production software before it's ready by the money men.

iOS 8.0 was also a bit of a mess and buggy.

I'm expecting an update quite soon as I have the impression that the new launcher has quite a few bugs.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem like a major bug, but if it gets logged with Google then I'm sure it will be fixed pretty quickly. Given it's a launcher issue, it can be updated extremely quickly and won't need an OS update.

Have you reported it yet?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing on my N4 or n7 here, suits me, certainly going by the amount of problems people seems to be getting.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing on my N4 either but the mates HTC One M7 has just had the OTA how's that possible :confused:

Probably better waiting for 5.01 anyway if it breaks stuff.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it appeared on my wifes N4 while she was at work, by the time she had come home and asked me to sort it out the update notification had vanished and its not been back since.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Still nothing on my N4 or n7 here, suits me, certainly going by the amount of problems people seems to be getting.

Remember that generally, people will report problems, but won't report successes. So what you are seeing is very likely to be skewed heavily in favour of those with problems.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Not for my HTC m8 yet.

Will be next year for the M8 Sense Edition. Google Play Edition was meant to be today but its been delayed again. Not arsed really. I've had a play with it on my lasses N5 and its nice, but I can happily wait for a release with less bugs.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Nothing on my N4 either but the mates HTC One M7 has just had the OTA how's that possible :confused:

Probably better waiting for 5.01 anyway if it breaks stuff.

If he has had the update he must have the GPE model, it was announced a few days ago it would roll out to M7 GPE and M8 GPE models today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Remember that generally, people will report problems, but won't report successes. So what you are seeing is very likely to be skewed heavily in favour of those with problems.

True,

but I think in general they are to some extent ( both Apple and Google ) using the general public to do the 'beta' testing. If I were a general user I think it's worth waiting a few months for all the inevitable patches.

There is no way the bug I found should have made it's way into production IMO.

The worst case was the Apple release which actually stopped the phone working as a phone. That was possibly the worst cock up I've ever seen in an OS release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like a major bug, but if it gets logged with Google then I'm sure it will be fixed pretty quickly. Given it's a launcher issue, it can be updated extremely quickly and won't need an OS update.

Have you reported it yet?

Are you having a laugh. I don't have time to 'formally report' a bug. I wasn't on a Google beta test program.

This is supposed to be a production ready release.

It's up to Google to read forums like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    If he has had the update he must have the GPE model, it was announced a few days ago it would roll out to M7 GPE and M8 GPE models today.

As I said previously, its been delayed, so I'm not sure how any HTC owner has the lollipop OTA today.

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/lollipop-update-will-not-be-rolling-out-today-for-the-htc--/de/News/40303726
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh. I don't have time to 'formally report' a bug. I wasn't on a Google beta test program..

you don't need be on a beta test to report a bug
    This is supposed to be a production ready release.

it is, every piece of software in the world has bugs
    It's up to Google to read forums like this.

you're having a laugh, right?
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it wrong it wasn't on his M7 it was his Nexus 10 he was on about :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you don't need be on a beta test to report a bug

Well I posted it on here so I consider it reported, but I'm under no obligation whatsoever to report it to anyone.
    it is, every piece of software in the world has bugs

Yes, I am paid a lot of money to develop software and understand this, but after beta testing the obvious easily repeatable ones like this should in theory have been found.

you're having a laugh, right?

No, Google have a responsibility to monitor social media to see what issues people are having with this release. To be fair I'm sure this bug will probably be somewhere on XDA or one of the main Android forums. If Google don't monitor at least them forums then I'll eat my hat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True,

but I think in general they are to some extent ( both Apple and Google ) using the general public to do the 'beta' testing. If I were a general user I think it's worth waiting a few months for all the inevitable patches.
    Having worked within IT Technical Support (and having been involved with application rollouts/updates in a large business environment), no matter how much internal testing is performed, the real test is out in the wild, as it's only then when the maximum number of configurations, platforms and other software (apps) is evident
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but after beta testing the obvious easily repeatable ones like this should in theory have been found....
    A 1000 beta testers would not have found yours, it likely took 10s of thousands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Having worked within IT Technical Support (and having been involved with application rollouts/updates in a large business environment), no matter how much internal testing is performed, the real test is out in the wild, as it's only then when the maximum number of configurations, platforms and other software (apps) is evident.

Indeed, and most people probably don't realise quite how few people they usually have testing software - granted Google will have more clout than most, but I bet its not as much as most people believe.

People also fail to realise just how complex software is. It is unimaginable to someone who has little or moderate IT experience. It can be hard enough work writing fairly simple programs, never mind one as complex as an OS!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    A 1000 beta testers would not have found yours, it likely took 10s of thousands.

I disagree if you're beta testing then you will be trying to 'break' the system. This bug should have been found quite easily by someone concentrating on if all the launcher button key combos caused any weird behavior. This bug may need you to re-set the pone so it's not what I would call critical, but at least high priority.

it may have got past an alpha test or an automated unit test perhaps. i still think they are using the public to beta test their stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree if you're beta testing then you will be trying to 'break' the system. This bug should have been found quite easily by someone concentrating on if all the launcher button key combos caused any weird behavior.

And how long would they have had to be trying in order to stumble across your specific combination of

Long press the home screen and hit the widget button, then select any widget.

Then double tap the back button.

Have you reported it to Google?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, and most people probably don't realise quite how few people they usually have testing software - granted Google will have more clout than most, but I bet its not as much as most people believe.

People also fail to realise just how complex software is. It is unimaginable to someone who has little or moderate IT experience. It can be hard enough work writing fairly simple programs, never mind one as complex as an OS!

I can't disagree with the overall sentiment, but I still say this should have been picked up in beta testing as it's relatively easy to re-produce.

If we want to be technical this isn't a bug in the operating system but in one of the build in apps, in this case the launcher. Although it is quite annoying as it can need a re-boot
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we want to be technical this isn't a bug in the operating system but in one of the build in apps, in this case the launcher. Although it is quite annoying as it can need a re-boot

This is very important to note.

The problem does not exist in Android 5.0, it exists in an Application that some users may be using.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most interesting bug was Adobe Air apps breaking.
    Seemed a hint of a sub plot on that one but I do think an Adobe Air release already fixed it last week. (assuming it was the same bug)

edit - not the same bug, and seemingly certificate related.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True,

There is no way the bug I found should have made it's way into production IMO.

The worst case was the Apple release which actually stopped the phone working as a phone. That was possibly the worst cock up I've ever seen in an OS release.

Google software is never really finished. It’s not really “beta” testing but it is pretty close. This is one of the main reasons for pushing out updates to devices in stages. They can stop big problems – like losing all data connectivity – in a controlled manner.
    Apple has the confidence to let everyone have the update. The problem with that approach is that when you release a bag of shite like 8.0.1 you can screw up lots phones.

If anyone one wants a phone on the bleeding edge of updates then you have to accept that problems will happen. None of the issues with 5.0, other than the N7 2012, are in anyway serious. The good thing about all of the Nexus devices is that even most of the people who post in the DS Mobile forums would have the technical nouce to be able to flash a factory image of an earlier version if they so wish.