BBC three plans online future

Comments

• RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes ahead, does anyone know for definite whether the on line version will be VOD or a streaming channel? Nobody seems to know for sure and there is a lot of conflicting and vague material on the web.

Cheers.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it goes ahead, does anyone know for definite whether the on line version will be VOD or a streaming channel? Nobody seems to know for sure and there is a lot of conflicting and vague material on the web.

Cheers.
    Logically VOD. There's not enough content for a 24/7 channel and stuff like Family guy can't be shown over the internet.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be VOD.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Will BBC3 be streaming or VOD after migration to the internet?

Cheers.

Not remotely interested because this has to get past the BBC Trust first and they'll be conducting a full public consultation first in the early part of next year. Despite what Hall and Cohen say, this is not a done deal.
    Forum Member
    You can hear an arrogant Danny Cohen going on about the wonders of taking BBC Three off air but you'll also get to hear The Media Show's Steve Hewlett unpicking his (poor and spurious) argument:

The BBC's plans to close BBC Three as a broadcast channel and re-invent it as online service in Autumn 2015 have been submitted to the BBC Trust. The proposals will generate savings of £50 million. Eighty percent of the new budget will be spent on long form programmes like 'Murdered by My Boyfriend' and twenty percent will go on non traditional content such as micro videos and listicles. Traditional genres like dramas and comedy will be replaced by the strands 'Make Me Think' and 'Make Me Laugh'. Alongside this, the BBC Executive also proposes launching a BBC One+1 channel, extending the hours for CBBC and enhancing BBC iPlayer. Danny Cohen, BBC Director of Television, explains the thinking behind BBC 3's new incarnation and Lis Howell, Director of Broadcasting at City University, gives her verdict on the proposals.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tlfsm
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Not remotely interested because this has to get past the BBC Trust first and they'll be conducting a full public consultation first in the early part of next year. Despite what Hall and Cohen say, this is not a done deal.

I really hope this plan dies on its arse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I could quite see the BBC Trust decrying the plans, but refusing to block them over budgetary concerns...
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Logically VOD. There's not enough content for a 24/7 channel and stuff like Family guy can't be shown over the internet.

Well, the BBC did say that going on line would be an improvement as the channel hours would increase from from 9 hours a day to 24. I don't really regard VOD services available for 24 hours a day as equivalent to a channel that broadcasts 24 hours a day. Perhaps this was just BBC spin.

In any case, based on that logic, as BBC3 content is currently already available 24/7 via VOD, it's already a "full time" channel- they can't have it both ways.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In any case, based on that logic, as BBC3 content is currently already available 24/7 via VOD, it's already a "full time" channel- they can't have it both ways.
    Streaning/VOD is not "broadcasting" in the accepted sense. And as it stands, the existing broadcast BBC Three is indeed a part-time channel.

However, when it changes to online only, it ceases to be a "broadcast" channel, even though its programming will be available 24x7. Ergo, it will be a 24x7 channel.

No spin, just a matter of interpretation and semantics.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Streaning/VOD is not "broadcasting" in the accepted sense. And as it stands, the existing broadcast BBC Three is indeed a part-time channel.

However, when it changes to online only, it ceases to be a "broadcast" channel, even though its programming will be available 24x7. Ergo, it will be a 24x7 channel.

No spin, just a matter of interpretation and semantics.

By Danny Cohen's own admission on the Media Show, BBC Three will be producing less content for this 24 hour iPlayer platform than it will for it's 9 hour broadcast platform, that's a hell of a lot of repeats...
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    The BBC hopes so too, namely the end game being the end of PSB for under 35's so the BBC can focus on its core demographic.
    By Danny Cohen's own admission on the Media Show, BBC Three will be producing less content for this 24 hour iPlayer platform than it will for it's 9 hour broadcast platform, that's a hell of a lot of repeats...
    The more I read about the proposed plans, the more I see young adults getting an extremely raw deal from the BBC and how the cuts are ideological.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't one of the press releases say the BBC were in discussions with Sky/Virgin on how they're going to deliver the new online BBC Three?

They're both already VODing BBC Three programmes.
    Forum Member
    The more I read about the proposed plans, the more I see young adults getting an extremely raw deal from the BBC and how the cuts are ideological.

He does not come across well in that interview, struggling to answer even the most basic of questions.

But he does say that actually the BBC have simplified the plans significantly in their public statements, and they're taking money away from other parts of the BBC to allocate it to the new BBC Three (specifically he says some of the BBC iPlayer's content budget has been reallocated), which is why the figures in their public statements don't quite add up. But he doesn't really go into any kind of useful detail...
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Surely there is already a thread on this?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2031690
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WIll the content make it to iPlayer anyway? Just that there are some issues with some linear streaming with LG550 TVs.. or is ti buy another box and a bigger Ethernet hub time?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only question here is what's going to happen to Family Guy & American Dad !!
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the BBC did say that going on line would be an improvement as the channel hours would increase from from 9 hours a day to 24. I don't really regard VOD services available for 24 hours a day as equivalent to a channel that broadcasts 24 hours a day. Perhaps this was just BBC spin.

I can see the sense in the BBC's explanation/justification. I doubt many people would want to watch BBC Three all day, the way some viewers might with BBC One. Whatever content is available will be there 24/7, so in a sense it's "better" than the current arrangement, whereby the only things available on e.g. a Tuesday evening are that night's listed programming (plus whatever happens to be on the iPlayer).

I'd really like to think another FTA channel would pick up the rights to Family Guy if it stops being on BBC3. That seems a no-brainer.

It seems clear the savings will come from overall less programming, but the quid pro quo is it will all be available 24/7. Those who can't access the internet will lose out, but I don't think there are too many people in the target demographic who fall into that category. It's a shift in viewing habits, but if this was to be asked of any group, the BBC Three target audience seems not a bad place to start, given many of them are watching other programmes this way already.

I still don't agree with making space for a BBC+1 channel, but I am starting to see the logic of what they're doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I can see the sense in the BBC's explanation/justification. I doubt many people would want to watch BBC Three all day, the way some viewers might with BBC One. Whatever content is available will be there 24/7, so in a sense it's "better" than the current arrangement, whereby the only things available on e.g. a Tuesday evening are that night's listed programming (plus whatever happens to be on the iPlayer).

I'd really like to think another FTA channel would pick up the rights to Family Guy if it stops being on BBC3. That seems a no-brainer.

It seems clear the savings will come from overall less programming, but the quid pro quo is it will all be available 24/7. Those who can't access the internet will lose out, but I don't think there are too many people in the target demographic who fall into that category. It's a shift in viewing habits, but if this was to be asked of any group, the BBC Three target audience seems not a bad place to start, given many of them are watching other programmes this way already.

I still don't agree with making space for a BBC+1 channel, but I am starting to see the logic of what they're doing.
    You're very trusting of the BBC's word. I see this as the beginning of the end as with all other former publications that promised to remain online. They're fobbing the viewers off.

I also can't see people making the effort to go to i-player to search out programmes that aren't being televised. So much of online viewing begins with word of mouth and how can a series that's online only gain any traction?

I think the only chance it has of working is to abandon the linear channel model altogether and make web series to be shown on a UK only youtube channel or the like. But I doubt the BBC is really serious about this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    I also can't see people making the effort to go to i-player to search out programmes that aren't being televised. So much of online viewing begins with word of mouth and how can a series that's online only gain any traction?
    That might be true of those "Hey, check this out" clips, and assorted "funny, look at what this cat/dog/baby is doing" videos posted on YouTube, but I don't think that it's the same for full-length programmes and properly filmed & directed dramas, documentaries and features

If the content is compelling enough, people will seek it out and watch it (without having to be emailed links, or flooded with Twitter retweets.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a 2015 trailer on BBC3 at the moment when the channel might get axed on TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plan, if agreed by the BBC Trust, is for the broadcast version to close in the Autumn of 2015. So that's around 9 months or more of BBC Three broadcast programming to promote, and more when online. Do you honestly think that they would not promote their programming?

And if the Trust says no ..............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might be true of those "Hey, check this out" clips, and assorted "funny, look at what this cat/dog/baby is doing" videos posted on YouTube, but I don't think that it's the same for full-length programmes and properly filmed & directed dramas, documentaries and features

If the content is compelling enough, people will seek it out and watch it (without having to be emailed links, or flooded with Twitter retweets.
    You've mixed up my points. I don't think content that isn't televised will gain traction by word of mouth. But (my 3rd point) I do think that if they're going down the online channel route they'd do better on a popular platform like youtube to create something akin to this channel (which is a mixture of professionally made series as well as a contest to find the best youtuber)
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »

So do I, popeye13. :)

I take comfort from the fact that the BBC's equally inane plans to axe the 6 Music station ended in total failure in 2010 :p:D. The Save BBC3 campaign will also get a good publicity boost next year when the plans for the BBC Trust consultation about the closure of the BBC Three channel are announced.
    Forum Member
    The plan, if agreed by the BBC Trust, is for the broadcast version to close in the Autumn of 2015. So that's around 9 months or more of BBC Three broadcast programming to promote, and more when online. Do you honestly think that they would not promote their programming?

And if the Trust says no ..............

Then the BBC will have to get its act together and start pruning the bloated multiple management layers instead thus saving loads of dosh that way.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Then the BBC will have to get its act together and start pruning the bloated multiple management layers instead thus saving loads of dosh that way.
    Except that they have already done that. There's only so much fat you can trim before you start losing muscle.

And yes, I too hope this doesn't happen.