Options

Characters that you'd like to see try and survive on their own...

RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which characters do you think can't survive on their own and would like to see them broken away from another character/partner etc?

A major example of this is Jane Beale. All her stories seem to be dependant on Ian and his family. I'd like to see Jane away from Ian for a while and see what the writers could do with her then.

I'd also like to add to the list from Eastenders' Vanessa (stuck to Max), Heather (stuck to Shirley), Syed (stuck to Christian), Kim (stuck to Denise) and Roxie (stuck to Ronnie IMO).

Comments

• Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Ryan without Janine or Stacey, his character has been terrible with them both helping to ruin them, well as much as Lacey and Charlie would allow their scenes to be ruined.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saying in another thread the other day, it'd be nice to see them explore Jane beyond being Ian's downtrodden wife. In six or so years, she's never really had any storyline or role that didn't involve Ian in some sort of way, which is a real shame because her character could genuinely be great. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I was saying in another thread the other day, it'd be nice to see them explore Jane beyond being Ian's downtrodden wife. In six or so years, she's never really had any storyline or role that didn't involve Ian in some sort of way, which is a real shame because her character could genuinely be great. :)
    I agree. Jane is probably the show's most realistic character, one you'd expect to find working in a cafe. I do think they take both the character and Laurie Brett for granted. I'd be good to see her and Ian split for a year or so and see how Jane get's on.
  • Options
    batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Sian away from Sophie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batman. wrote: »
    Sian away from Sophie!
    I don't watch Corrie, but I'm presuming that's Sophie's girlfriend. Was she brought in for the storyline or had she been in the show longer beforehand?
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Sian Powers :)
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    I think it will be interesting to see Jean Slater now Stacey has gone.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think it will be interesting to see Jean Slater now Stacey has gone.

Ooh, thats a good one! I too want to see where they go with her.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiffany away from her family. I think she should have her own storyline, not sure what yet. She's a good child actress, compared to most of them in soap land. And a lot of adult actors in soaps TBH.
  • Options
    Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    I don't watch Corrie, but I'm presuming that's Sophie's girlfriend. Was she brought in for the storyline or had she been in the show longer beforehand?

she was a fringe character it was probably a long term plan when she came into the show though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyri wrote: »

She'll have been in the show two years in January (they'd planned for the storyline when they brought her in, they just didn't do it immediately), but before she and Sophie got together she was just Sophie's friend and Ryan's girlfriend :p seeing as she doesn't have any family around to interact with, they definitely need to give her a job or something so she can interact with other people.

Also, Fizz in Corrie - not the biggest fan of her character so it's not like I'm desperate for her to have more storylines, but her character has just revolved around John for the past couple years, she's nothing more than the poor clueless wife these days who has no clue what he's getting up to.

Definitely agree with Jane too, her storylines are always along the same vein.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Maybe Sian can get a job in Audrey's since Nathasha is gone. I'm sure she would just love to ordered around by Demon David. Anyway shouldn't she be paying Sally rent for staying at her place?
  • Options
    KingCorrieKingCorrie Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Belle Dingle IS the best young soap actor!! She is outstanding and I think it'd be great if she was ducking n diving ala dingle style and we all saw it on screen!!

Other characters I would love to see away and on their own are:

Jane Beale

Becky MacDonald

Shirley Carter

Valerie Pollard
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put Sian in Roy's Rolls. Roy and Hayley have a track record of bringing out the best in characters and Sian in there would be an interesting dynamic. They could even be parental to her since her own aren't a big presence in her life.
  • Options
    kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    EE - I'd like to see Roxy have a go at life without her sister living across the street.

Oh and Kim - cos I just love her. Her hungover tonight was just grand to watch!
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I would put Sian in Roy's Rolls. Roy and Hayley have a track record of bringing out the best in characters and Sian in there would be an interesting dynamic. They could even be parental to her since her own aren't a big presence in her life.

Speaking of Roy's Rolls I sometimes feel like any time a scene is there I see more of Anna than I do of Roy which is dissapointing. As for Sian, I think Roy works better with the troubled characters, Sian is a good kid already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KingCorrie wrote: »
    Belle Dingle IS the best young soap actor!! She is outstanding and I think it'd be great if she was ducking n diving ala dingle style and we all saw it on screen!!

Other characters I would love to see away and on their own are:

Jane Beale

Becky MacDonald

Shirley Carter

Valerie Pollard
    Agreed about Shirley. She's good with Phil but the only other storyline she's had on her own was the one month breast cancer storyline...