2014/15 Digital Spy Saturday NH Comp

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,678
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello all, slightly different format this year and all previous contestants should all have a PM from me regards it.

This year it will run over the usual period but it will be done in a league format with fixtures. So for example if we get 26 players we will have 13 fixtures that Saturday with each player taking on another. Instead of picking one horse you will pick 2 and you are trying to just beat your opponent. The price of the runners will be irrelevant it is where they finish.

Let me give you an example

Say TC is playing Realale that weekend and TC's horses come 1st and 4th whilst Realales come 1st and 7th then TC will win. He will score 3 points and Realale will score 0. If its a tie they will both score 1 point, so it is better to win than draw.

The league table will be published each week with the following weeks fixtures.

Also I will do a cup comp with the NON Saturday races ( eg Champion Hurdle, Melling Chase etc ) so we have a little side line too.

In the result of somebody missing a race they will be giving the highest and the lowest numbered horses on the racecard. EG in a 12 horse race, numbers 1 and 12.

If there is anybody new who wishes to join us then please let me know and likewise, any questions, then fire away

cheers

Comments

• davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me

Cheers Darren
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,715
    Forum Member
    Count me in please ( cheers for the PM)

Good idea
  • bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in please
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good. 15 of us so far. I do need to know numbers but I can obviously give it a few days
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll join in, meant to do so last year. Is it just two horses from an entire Saturday card across all meetings?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll join in, meant to do so last year. Is it just two horses from an entire Saturday card across all meetings?

Hi Cissy, no it is two horses from the chosen race each Saturday which is usually the biggest race of the day - eg on Saturday it will be the Paddy Power Gold Cup
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for invite.I will have a go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good man tso, we are now up to 19. Either way we will have an even number as Jo said she will go in if needed.
  • DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to this in the dart household. I suspect a particular fixture in more than one household will have an added edge :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DartGuru wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this in the dart household. I suspect a particular fixture in more than one household will have an added edge :-)

Yep

TC V DG
    DL V DG
    Dim V DG
    Dean V DG

and so on :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Race this week will be

14:30 CHELTENHAM, 15 NOV 2014
    2m 4f 110y

Paddy Power Gold Cup Chase (Grade 3 Handicap) (Class 1) (4YO plus)
    Winner £91,120

I will post more details of the comp later in the week. I will cut it off when we get 26 of us in which i dont think will be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Few rules

A win will be 3 points. A loss will be 0 points. A draw will be 1 point each.

If the race is cancelled then everyone will get 1 point.

A non runner ( without a reserve ) will go onto number 1 ( or lowest numbered ). If 2 non runners you will get the highest and lowest numbered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q. Would 1st and 4th draw with 2nd and 3rd ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q. Would 1st and 4th draw with 2nd and 3rd ?

Yes it would mate.
  • RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I'm in mate, just one question - what happens if we pick the same horse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realale wrote: »
    I'm in mate, just one question - what happens if we pick the same horse?

Would it be feasible to say that you can't. If you're opponent has already picked A&B then you can't do the same ?

I guess nominated reserves come into play somehow as well, so it may not be possible to categorically prevent opponents picking the same horses.

I guess, sportsmanship comes into it. It's not a 'serious' comp with money at stake, just a bit of fun.
    At the end of the day if I need a draw to win the league and leave my picks late to ensure I copy my opponent, I should be disqualified.
    Forum Member
    Would it be feasible to say that you can't. If you're opponent has already picked A&B then you can't do the same ?

I guess nominated reserves come into play somehow as well, so it may not be possible to categorically prevent opponents picking the same horses.

I guess, sportsmanship comes into it. It's not a 'serious' comp with money at stake, just a bit of fun.
    At the end of the day if I need a draw to win the league and leave my picks late to ensure I copy my opponent, I should be disqualified.

Doesn't that give the person who gets on the forum 1st an an advantage though? I thought we would be PM'ing our selections to DL?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't that give the person who gets on the forum 1st an an advantage though? I thought we would be PM'ing our selections to DL?

True. It's up to Darren how he wants to play it - and us to accept that there may be teething problems to be resolved without chucking Buzz across the room.
    Forum Member
    Don't believe I have chucked anything across the room, just asked DL a question?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't believe I have chucked anything across the room, just asked DL a question?

:o I wasn't referring to you in particular, or anything that has happened, I just have a feeling that we might over think this if not too careful. I don't think I'd fancy having to trawl through PMs every week to run it, but Darren might feel different.
    Forum Member
    No problem, as you say let's leave it to Darren.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can pick the same horse or it wouldn't be fair to those people who can only get on on a weekend. Of course if you do pick the same horses it will end in a draw but the chances of picking both horses the same are slim I would have thought except in a small field. If anybody would rather PM then they can do that but yes you can pick the same as your opponent. But, and this is the thing, if you trust your own judgement you wont care what your opponent has picked
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can pick the same horse or it wouldn't be fair to those people who can only get on on a weekend. Of course if you do pick the same horses it will end in a draw but the chances of picking both horses the same are slim I would have thought except in a small field. If anybody would rather PM then they can do that but yes you can pick the same as your opponent. But, and this is the thing, if you trust your own judgement you wont care what your opponent has picked

.......and of course if you do pick the same horses as your opponent then the most you can get is 1 point whereas people around you in the table can get 3.......so it's not really in your interest to play for a draw

The only time tactical selecting could be any value is towards the end if your opponent of the week is just behind you in the table.........but presumably the same would happen as happens previously......that DL would ask the top guys to PM their selections
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    .......and of course if you do pick the same horses as your opponent then the most you can get is 1 point whereas people around you in the table can get 3.......so it's not really in your interest to play for a draw

The only time tactical selecting could be any value is towards the end if your opponent of the week is just behind you in the table.........but presumably the same would happen as happens previously......that DL would ask the top guys to PM their selections

Correct Swingading
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds good count me in. :)