Options

No BBC London Breakfast

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Last Tuesday (5th Feb) there was no London News on Breakfast at 6.25 or 6.55.

From tweets it became clear it wasn't staff sickness, but a no show by whoever should have read the news. This was made clear by Alice Bhandhukravi, who could have been discreet and tweeted she was called in at last minute as cover for someone reporting sick, but made it plain someone had failed to show.

Why mention it 8 days later?

Well we've just had south east news again at 6.25.

Technical problems? Or same person not not turning up?

Don't know yet/ Wonder what will happen at 6.55

If it's same person late again he should be for the high jump (Alice made it plain last week she was covering for a he)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well it's Louisa Preston at 6.55 so back on air.

I wonder if we will be told why no 6.25 news.

They are all given cabs to make sure they get to work on time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask BBC London: they might appreciate a viewers ... erm ... view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point.

They won't reply.

There is never ever any on screen acknowledgement when these things happen, so you only find out if they tweet about it.

Louisa is, I think, on a 2 day a week newsreading contract. Because of this I doubt they would have turned to her as a last minute replacement, so was probably meant to be her all along.

Could be they didn't have enough backroom staff.

Pointless to email them though. Won't get a reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you really want to know the reason , though, surely the horse's mouth is worth trying? I doubt regional broadcasters lurk much on DS.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few regions seem to suffer problems particularly with the first Breakfast opt-out of the day - Belfast's sometimes goes out in sound only. Do they close down the circuits and cameras overnight. I guess they run on a shoestring so if even one person fails to turn up it puts the whole operation in jeopardy.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching on the BBC News Channel and noticed they had the BBC South East output. I missed the first minute or so due to making breakfast so don't know if they mentioned anything but when giving a run down of local BBC Radio stations they put a graphic on air of three stations but then added 'also BBC London;
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching on the BBC News Channel and noticed they had the BBC South East output. I missed the first minute or so due to making breakfast so don't know if they mentioned anything but when giving a run down of local BBC Radio stations they put a graphic on air of three stations but then added 'also BBC London;

The BBC News channel always carries the London opt until 0830 when they leave Breakfast for their own programme.
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,397
    Forum Member
    I saw this too, wondered why the south east news was on instead of London, in fact nothing was said about London at all including the travel which was a bit if a pig if you were checking the roads and weather before work! no apology either.

Still, I expect it from BBC Breakfast, the other day they were showing the BBC Breakfast on BBC 1 and BBC 24 as usual, with signing for the deaf on 24, the sound went off on 24 for around 20 mins or more (while still on BBC 1), eventually they took the signing off the 24 channel and replaced it with the normal BBC 1 feed, so deaf people watching 24 for the signing, could no longer follow the news because someone at the BBC thought deaf people needed sound!

I'm not deaf, but I would have been pretty annoyed...
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 6.55 we had London news here when it should have been South! However, they changed it half way through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this too, wondered why the south east news was on instead of London, in fact nothing was said about London at all including the travel which was a bit if a pig if you were checking the roads and weather before work! no apology either.

Still, I expect it from BBC Breakfast, the other day they were showing the BBC Breakfast on BBC 1 and BBC 24 as usual, with signing for the deaf on 24, the sound went off on 24 for around 20 mins or more (while still on BBC 1), eventually they took the signing off the 24 channel and replaced it with the normal BBC 1 feed, so deaf people watching 24 for the signing, could no longer follow the news because someone at the BBC thought deaf people needed sound!

I'm not deaf, but I would have been pretty annoyed...

That would have ticked me off too if I were following the Sign Language Interpreter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Quite a few regions seem to suffer problems particularly with the first Breakfast opt-out of the day - Belfast's sometimes goes out in sound only. Do they close down the circuits and cameras overnight. I guess they run on a shoestring so if even one person fails to turn up it puts the whole operation in jeopardy.

BBC North West,are legendary,as regards unforced errors and 'No shows'.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are all given cabs to make sure they get to work on time.

Is that so? Well I hope it's at their own expense, not ours...
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wendy posted that it was technical problems. "Breakfast couldn't see us so for safety we switched to T Wells output".