Options

West End Musical recommendation

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    I'm gonna agree with the poster who suggested Once! Whilst certainly not as popular as the other suggestions, it is a beautiful piece of story-telling with absolutely gorgeous songs. Tickets are cheap too.

Lots of suggestions for Les Mis, but the OP said it's his first experience of the West End and honestly I'd find the idea of a Sung-Through musical a little intimidating.

Wicked is a really really brilliant show. Plenty of spectacle, some absolutely fantastic songs (Defying Gravity is just jaw-dropping every time you see it), solid book too. The cast at the moment is in the best shape it's been since the Rachel Tucker/Louise Dearman combo. Willemijn Verkaik is a phenomenal talent, one of the best Elphaba's there's been in any production (She's now been in 4 productions in 3 different languages!) and Savannah is breathe of fresh air in the role of Glinda. I'd definitely recommend it!

Not at all, it has probably got the best music of all the musicals out there, when you leave you will be trying to stop yourself from singing "Do you hear the people sing" as you are walking down Shaftesbury Ave.

First musical I saw, and nothing else comes close, Phantom is okay, but soon lags and the music is very samey.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's mentioning the big, long running ones, but I'm going to mention Thriller. Saw it recently and thought the singing, dancing was outstanding. I read recebtly that it's currently the most popular show. The production isn't huge...it's all about the singing, dancing etc...the boy who plays the young Michael Jackson is fantastic! It's at the Lyric Theatre which is beautiful, but it's also quite small and cute which means you have a good view wherever you're sitting. Would definitely recommend going!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame American Psycho the musical hasn't transferred yet as its well worth a watch
  • Options
    GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always find it hard recommending shows as I forget not everyone is a theatre geek like me. Heres a few thoughts and opinions on what's running:

Les mis - one of my all time faves. Brilliant music and really moves you. Sung thru and quite a complicated story though.

Phantom - another classic. Easier to follow than Les mis. Has a great phantom at the mo.

Book of Mormon - very funny. Not sure how easy it is to get tickets.

We will rock you - ridiculous story but fantastic music (if you like queen!) and nearly always has a hugely talented cast.

Once - really beautiful simple show. That bloke from doctor who is joining mid march. Arthur someone?

Bodyguard - doesn't really work as a stage show. Just an excuse to sing Whitney songs. Beverley knight is meant to be fantastic though.

Dirty dancing - same as bodyguard really. It's just the film thrown on stage. Boring. This might have closed by now??

Thriller - don't get me started on this crap. IMHO!!

The commitments - more a play with songs. Great night out and amazing cast.

Jersey boys - everyone loves this. I loved the music but got bored otherwise.

Spamalot - lots of fun. Definitely worth seeing... If you like monty python.

From here to eternity - darius from pop idol is in this but don't let that put you off. This is really worth seeing. Beautiful score. Closes end of march.

I can't sing - the X factor musical. This starts this week unless further previews are cancelled. Nigel Harman plays Simon cowell.

Dirty rotten scoundrels - starts soon in London. Robert Lindsay, rufus hound, Samantha bond. Been getting great reviews in Manchester.

Mamma Mia - fun night out. Lots of abba tunes. Better story than we will rock you.

Billy Elliot - fantastic musical. Really moving and the kids they find to play billy are always amazing.

Wicked - good music and set etc. Has the wow factor.

Charlie and the chocolate factory - really enjoyed this. Music could be better but great cast.

Stephen ward - some of the music in this is really nice. Has a really good cast too.

Lion king - wasn't that impressed with this. The films better.

Think that covers most stuff that's on. Or you could go and see a play? War horse is amazing :)
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    If you're only going to see one, I kind of agree that it should be one of the really big names - and I'd narrow it down to Les Mis & Wicked, depending on whether you want something heavier or lighter.

However, just want to give a shout out to Matilda, which I saw a few months ago and it's gorgeous. Fresh, fun, lots of pathos, beautifully staged. I adored it.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    player1 wrote: »
    I saw the movie which Once is based on...low key but sensational with great performances, it really got me into the soundtrack with Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová. They recorded a couple of albums as The Swell Season....well worth checking out

Glen Hansard is one of my favourite singer songwriters, have been lucky enough to see him sing live, and I second the post that said "Once" is a great musical.

In fact I'm sipping from my "once" mug, bought ON SET, during the interval !

I assume you knew that Glen was originally in the cast of the film commitments? Well I have to admit the musical was pretty good too.... although would have been awesome if Glen did a cameo in that!
  • Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    I have to take into consideration who i'm going with and that is someone who probably won't appreciate anything too serious and heavy like Les Mis or Phantom but also won't appreciate anything too left field like Book of Mormon either so i guess it has to be something quite mainstream, well known and light.

Wicked is probably looking a good bet.

Having seen footage of The Book Of Mormon i actually would love to see that but as i said, not really an option this time.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want something silly then it has to be Spamalot.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure if it is playing London right now, but one of the best musicals that I have seen was 'Singing In The Rain'..

Unfortunately it's no longer running in London, but I think it may be touring this year and I agree, it was a wonderful production.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with the majority of posters and recommend Les Mis - it has it all and will be a fantastic first theatre experience.

Aside from that, it's all down to the sort of thing you like - no two musicals are the same! If you're into South Park type of humour, Book of Mormon is brilliant; Wicked and Phantom were for me overrated, but other people adore them; Spamalot is good fun.

If you want to see Once, which is a fairly decent adaptation of the film, I'd recommend booking cheap seats - sometimes they upgrade your seat if there aren't enough people in attendance, and Once is one of the more obscure showings at the West End.

Singing in the Rain is touring this year (Edinburgh next month) and that's a classic, so if you catch the musical theatre bug, definitely try to see that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a shame Avenue Q has finished, that probably would have fitted the bill perfectly.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    top Hat was amazing but got chucked out of Aldwych to make way for the latest ALW musical that is doing so badly it will possibly limp on the 6 months and then be pulled. Not sure what will take it's place. Rumour has it that Cabaret with Will young may well return to the west End , if it does it is very good and the last scene is jaw dropping and creates total silence.
    kinky boots is transferring from Broadway but I think it's too soon for that, not even sure if they have auditioned for it yet.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »

Singing in the Rain is touring this year (Edinburgh next month) and that's a classic, so if you catch the musical theatre bug, definitely try to see that :)

Take your brolly if on the first two rows or so :D
    That show was my favourite last year.
    It is slick and classy, all the cast are supreme in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    top Hat was amazing but got chucked out of Aldwych to make way for the latest ALW musical that is doing so badly it will possibly limp on the 6 months and then be pulled. Not sure what will take it's place. Rumour has it that Cabaret with Will young may well return to the west End , if it does it is very good and the last scene is jaw dropping and creates total silence.
    kinky boots is transferring from Broadway but I think it's too soon for that, not even sure if they have auditioned for it yet.

3 months, will close on the 29th March after opening on the 19th December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look like this isn't happening now so will probably a few months down the line instead of a couple of weeks....i guess there might be different options then.

I have got the bug though after watching lots of clips and stuff, defo want to start seeing more shows. I also saw some clips from some of the stuff on broadway which looks great but a lot of the shows aren't on over here it seems.

Newsies, Pippin, Kinky Boots, Cinderella and several others. Are any of those coming over here anytime soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son auditioned for newsies a few months ago but eventually got cut, they were casting for uk so it is on the way sometime this year, it's another show with plenty of tapping, which is always nice to see, I don't think kinky has even started auditions over here yet but rumour has it that it will be here either late this year or early next year
    You may even find that some others return, possibly love never dies and my girl
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newsies isn't coming over any time soon, the auditions came to nothing it seems.

Rumours that Kinky Boots and Pippin will transfer if they can find theatres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newsies isn't coming over any time soon, the auditions came to nothing it seems.

Rumours that Kinky Boots and Pippin will transfer if they can find theatres.

That's interesting about Newsies

Op, why don't you look to see what is coming to your local theatre this year and have a chat with the person you were going to take to the theatre in London? You might be able to work out the types of show they may prefer.
    We have a really good selection coming to our so far, from blood Brothers, to one Man two governors, to Rock of ages, to Jersey Boys

It might be worth a try
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    That's interesting about Newsies

Op, why don't you look to see what is coming to your local theatre this year and have a chat with the person you were going to take to the theatre in London? You might be able to work out the types of show they may prefer.
    We have a really good selection coming to our so far, from blood Brothers, to one Man two governors, to Rock of ages, to Jersey Boys

It might be worth a try

I find that not a huge amount of the touring productions seem to stop her in leicester, even though we do have the venues for such shows.

The Curve Theatre is soon to put on a production of Hairspray though so we may go to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    I find that not a huge amount of the touring productions seem to stop her in leicester, even though we do have the venues for such shows.

The Curve Theatre is soon to put on a production of Hairspray though so we may go to that.

If you want something light hearted and nearby, Shrek will be on in Nottingham in September.

http://www.trch.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=25612

Rock of Ages in June

http://www.trch.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=26426
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Les Mis, if you only see one show in your life, this is the one.
    Agreed!

The best of them all!
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worse ever musical is ''From here to Eternity'' no wonder why it is closing down
    Best one is Les Mis
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Mis definitely, it's superb but take plenty of tissues.
    Wicked is wicked as is Jersey Boys. The new x Factor musical is supposed to be very good,
    I'm going to see the Book of Mormon next week. Idon't know anything about it, but I'm glad those of you who have seen it say it's good.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Saigon is going to be on again in the West End this year it's worth seeing
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Wicked, Lion King