Was _______'s departure from great British bake off fair

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Correct me if we are wrong here but we've just witnessed Ian being ejected from the competition when his baked Alaska was removed from the freezer and not put back in the freezer there fore it melted

It's no wonder he was upset yet @BBCONE #GBBO failed to see someone ruined his chance of winning that was not fair he should be put back in the competition

This needs reviewing

Comments

• XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    lee_w wrote: »
    This needs reviewing

I think you're taking it a bit seriously.
  • nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lee_w wrote: »
    Correct me if we are wrong here but we've just witnessed Ian being ejected from the competition when his baked Alaska was removed from the freezer and not put back in the freezer there fore it melted

It's no wonder he was upset yet @BBCONE #GBBO failed to see someone ruined his chance of winning that was not fair he should be put back in the competition

This needs reviewing

Yes - I couldn't understand why no- one referred to Diana's part in it
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Don't put spoiler threads up!! I've not watched it.Totally wrecked it!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    It was not exactly clear, but the impression I got was that they all had designated freezers to use - one between two bakers.

Ian had put his alaska in a freezer not designated to him.
    The users of that freezer therefore removed his and put their own alaska's in.

They were all struggling to freeze the products, so finding someone else's product in the freezer you have been told to use would not be acceptable in a competition

However, good manners dictates that they should have called him over and told him to put his in the correct freezer, not just taken it out and left it on the counter.

They may have done this and it not been filmed - or edited out so we cannot know.
    Similarly if they called him over and he ignored them - as we did not see all of what happened we cannot know.

He was however wrong to just throw it in the bin and walk off, he had done quite well in the other challenges so maybe Norman would have gone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he should have binned it. That was weird but I don't think somebody should have removed his without him being told.

This was either Mary or Nancy. Who, we don't know but it was one or the other or even both.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened is now on the cutting room floor. Anything else is just speculation.
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue Perkins has tweeted saying it was only out for 40 seconds and it wouldn't have affected it. Shes got quite riled on twitter about the outrage of it all! There were 7 of the top 10 trends about it including one called Justice for Iain!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Sue Perkins has tweeted saying it was only out for 40 seconds and it wouldn't have affected it. Shes got quite riled on twitter about the outrage of it all! There were 7 of the top 10 trends about it including one called Justice for Iain!

In which case he made a load of slop which would not freeze, and threw a hissy fit.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »

Exactly. Came in here to read about something else and this thread was here. I thought it would be safe because the Bake Off thread is in the Reality TV section.

Not happy at all. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even a minute out of the freezer in that heat would do a lot of damage. He was silly to react the way he did also and could have carried on with the remainder of the Baked Alaska.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Yes. He wasn't booted for the fact that his ice cream was melted. That was only incidental. He was booted because he threw a hissy fit and binned it leaving himself with nothing to present.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw this thread title before I viewed the show (and before it was edited) so I did know that he was going to get the boot.
    It did not spoil it as such for me, just took the edge off it.

I so felt for him, why did Diana take it out and not tell him?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was completely fair.

Things didn't go his way so he threw a strop and chucked everything in the bin. Then he stormed out of the tent.
    Mary Berry was correct - that sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

I'm glad he's gone.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never take anyones food out of a fridge or freezer without letting them know. Not a nice thing to do
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shinnyr wrote: »
    Even a minute out of the freezer in that heat would do a lot of damage. He was silly to react the way he did also and could have carried on with the remainder of the Baked Alaska.

Pretty much this. Particularly as it was sat on Dianas bench above a hot oven as she baked her meringue. I'm also not sure I buy the explanation that it was only out for 40 seconds as Diana had time to take it out and get back to work before he even went over to his freezer. Seems more like a couple of minutes.

That said he should have tried to present something, but I can see why he reacted like he did, I get the idea it was at least partly to avoid saying something to Diana as she seemed completely unbothered.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    I would never take anyones food out of a fridge or freezer without letting them know. Not a nice thing to do

Sounds like sabotage to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    No, he should have been given a pass for next week and two bakers been sent home next week. However, although Diana shouldn't have taken his ice-cream out of the freezer, it wasn't her fault he was having a disaster. According to Sue his ice-cream was only out of the freezer for 40 seconds. His ice-cream had been in the freezer for longer than other people's and they managed to produce a frozen product. It was all going wrong for him anyway but Diana managed to get the full blame.

Chetna also had a disaster but she just got on with it and Mary commended her for her attitude.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I was full of indignation for him at first, but after thinking about it, throwing it in the bin was a big mistake on his part. After saying that, you'd have thought that whoever took it out of the freezer would have called out, "whose is this, instead of just leaving it there".
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Iain should be reinstated and Diana should be eliminated from the competition for sabotaging his bake
  • Alex482Alex482 Posts: 482
    Forum Member

Once a show has been broadcast then it's no longer a spoiler. You should avoid TV forums if you don't want to know the result of a show that's already been broadcast on TV.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Alex482 wrote: »
    Once a show has been broadcast then it's no longer a spoiler. You should avoid TV forums if you don't want to know the result of a show that's already been broadcast on TV.

This thread was originally in the UK TV Shows forum not the Reality forum so some people such as myself assumed it was safe to go in there.
    jsam93 wrote: »
    I think Iain should be reinstated and Diana should be eliminated from the competition for sabotaging his bake

So basically they'd have to re-film most of the series again. Never gonna happen.
  • AngelJeanAngelJean Posts: 4,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would you open a topic when the subject was obvious. Do you expect everyone not to discuss programmes until you have watched them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsam93 wrote: »

The winner has already been decided since it's filmed months in advance so nothing can be done now
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    AngelJean wrote: »
    Why would you open a topic when the subject was obvious. Do you expect everyone not to discuss programmes until you have watched them?

It was on the main discussion board last night. With Ian's name in the title of the thread. I don't go near the reality thread in case of spoilers. Yes I expect everyone not discuss programmes I've not watched of course I do! Get yer facts right before you fire off stupid posts at 3 in the morning
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    What Diana did was unfair or underhanded which ever way you want to look at it. She should of at least made an effort to tell the person she'd removed their ice cream, not just leave it out.

Iain though should of carried on, quite a few contestants ice cream turned out wrong/melting and they weren't really penalized for it, the judges allowing for the temperature.