Has anyone ever had a general anaesthetic?

scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
Forum Member
What is it like? I am getting my tonsils out next week as they cause sleep apnea in me so I need them out!! I am bricking it!!

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had it a couple of times for dental stuff

Years ago it was gas......:o

More recently it's an injection into your arm, like a blood test

It was great........never felt a thing
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Yes. Although it was a long time ago so it might have changed now.

When i went you drank some green liquid, then they put wierd white gel on your hands. Then gave you some gas and you pass out.

Then you wake up a while later feeling groggy. You half wake up for a while gradually coming round. Then whatever you have had done hurts.

Enjoy your ice cream
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it in June 2013 before a four hour invasive cosmetic procedure on my chest.

I don't even remember it really. One minute I was talking to the surgeon and the next thing I knew I was awake in the recovery room telling a nurse how much I loved chinese food. :D It was such a nice, dreamy feeling. You'll be fine.

Good luck.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a general anaesthetic no need to worry at all. I had a big operation recently. You will get a canula put in your hand not painful then they give you an injection through the canula and before you know it you will be awake again and it will be over. No need to be worried at all. You will feel rather sleepy when they first wake you but it soon passes. I expect you will have a sore throat afterwards but they will give you pain relief.
    Good luck and please try not to worry.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a general anaesthetic no need to worry at all. I had a big operation recently. You will get a canula put in your hand not painful then they give you an injection through the canula and before you know it you will be awake again and it will be over. No need to be worried at all. You will feel rather sleepy when they first wake you but it soon passes. I expect you will have a sore throat afterwards but they will give you pain relief.
    Good luck and please try not to worry.

Yeah, this really.. I remember waking and feeling really groggy, apparently I was saying some really wacky stuff, a person who woke later after anaesthesia in the bed next go me, was sobbing and crying. It can just be the way anaesthesia effects different people... Your procedure though, doesn't get more routine, should have no worries!
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it like? I am getting my tonsils out next week as they cause sleep apnea in me so I need them out!! I am bricking it!!

I've had general anaesthetic for four procedures, including having my tonsils and adenoids out at 5 years old. You literally go unconscious within about 10-15 seconds of the injection into your hand and wake up with a nurse talking to you in the recovery room. It's amazing really, and they will all put you at your ease. And think of all that lovely ice cream you get afterwards to soothe your throat - do they still do that after a tonsillectomy ? I can still remember eating mine - it was Neapolitan, the first I'd had :)
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I've had general anaesthetic for four procedures, including having my tonsils and adenoids out at 5 years old. You literally go unconscious within about 10-15 seconds of the injection into your hand and wake up with a nurse talking to you in the recovery room. It's amazing really, and they will all put you at your ease. And think of all that lovely ice cream you get afterwards to soothe your throat - do they still do that after a tonsillectomy ? I can still remember eating mine - it was Neapolitan, the first I'd had :)

No,unfortunately not - not in hospital anyway! When I had my tonsils out as an adult they wanted me to eat toast and other rough stuff to scrape all the crap that builds up off the back of your throat.... torture!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have once. It was ok. I didn't like the feeling at the point where I was still awake but couldn't talk anymore, just before going under. Coming round was ok, no pain, no sickness, but I did cry for no reason for the rest of the day.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The waking up is the confusing bit.

The nurse said to me before hand that when you wake up you'll think you've woken up early and will panic.

and she was right!

I was flapping about trying to tell them to put me back under :D
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have had 11 operations under general anaesthetic and other procedures under it as well. I have had no problems whatsoever. Don't worry op you will be fine good luck with the procedure.
  • RedPantsRedPants Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one for an op once it was fine to start with.

It seemed to wear off pretty much straight away then in the night I needed to pee but apparently a (rare?) side effect is local paralysis and I just couldn't go. The urge got worse and worse I was in absolute agony until finally a doc came and inserted a catheter. It wasn't pleasant.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Had them out when i was 6 :kitty: (you will be alright)
    Plenty of ice cream afterwards :D
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had quite a few ops over the years up to last year when I had 2 breast cancer ops. The anaesthetic has got much better over the years, I found I was coming round a lot better and pain control is much better too. I was up and walking about in no time.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mrs works in theatre for a living. They do effect different people in different ways and they are powerful drugs but its all very controlled and the VAST majority have no problems what so ever. I think she said the stats are something like 1 in 10.000 have a serious problem but virtually all of them are high risk to begin with like over weight, smokers, have pre-existing medical condition. For a healthy person don't worry about it.

Going under takes very little time and she says that many patients wake up carry on the same conversation that they were having before going under. If it is going to effect you then the most likely side effect is that you might wake up feeling nauseous but it will soon pass.
  • Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under a year and a half ago. Odd feeling where you go from chatting in the prep room to waking up in recovery. The lights out bit is how I can imagine dieing to be like, everything just hows black. You dont dream as you arent 'asleep'. I was shivering badly when I woke and felt like I had twenty pints, but had the state of mind to understand what had happened. Others though seemed seriously confused so think it affects you differently.
  • Chunky-KitkatChunky-Kitkat Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Having it anaesthetic is fine. It's the bit after that you've got to watch. Especially if the nurses are busy. When I woke up I said it hurt and I had a needled stabbed in my backside before I could say 'hang on a minute'. I wasn't even an adult.

Thanks for the chuckle :):):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Weird but fine. Not like sleep but like you are not there at all, then you wake up.

As to health risks I worked out that it was safe.

The death rate was lower than the normal death rate, so if 1,000,000 were anaesthetised and 1,000,000 just sat there more sat there would die than anaesthetised.
  • Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had four, nothing to worry about.:)

Didn't feel nauseous when I woke up but after the first (dental) I was vaguely aware of ranting randomly about eating tinned tuna accompanied by a few 'f' words :o The nurse and dentist were laughing and very laid back, they have probably heard it all before.....and worse!

The other three were for surgical and I have to say the worst thing is probably not the anaesthetic but getting the cannula put in your hand or arm. My body seems to 'reject' it and every time it throbs and itches like mad to the extent that I was begging them to take it out and wanting pain relief for that rather than the site of the operation !

You will be fine. Like someone earlier said, if you are generally healthy the risks of complications are extremely rare. Good luck and have a speedy recovery.

Ps. Forgot to add, another poster was right. After a tonsillectomy you don't get ice cream, you have to eat toast. MY son had his tonsils out along with 5 other kids in the same ward. The nest day they all had to eat a whole slice of toast before being allowed to be discharged. Cue lots of crying and gagging...it was awful !
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under a year and a half ago. Odd feeling where you go from chatting in the prep room to waking up in recovery. The lights out bit is how I can imagine dieing to be like, everything just hows black. You dont dream as you arent 'asleep'. I was shivering badly when I woke and felt like I had twenty pints, but had the state of mind to understand what had happened. Others though seemed seriously confused so think it affects you differently.

Post anaesthetic shivering is fairly common apparenty - I've had it and it was quite unpleasant. I was compos mentis and up and about very quickly after my last general anaesthetic, the nurses were surprised. Interesting you say about going under being like dying - I've had exactly the same thought before. You just sort of slip out of conciousness into darkness. If that is what dying is like then it won't be so bad I suppose.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron_J wrote: »
    Post anaesthetic shivering is fairly common apparenty

yeap, as listed on NHS website,

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaesthetic-general/Pages/Definition.aspx
  • scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I've read all kinds of horror stories on the internet about adult tonsillectomies and now i'm super bricking it haha
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I've read all kinds of horror stories on the internet about adult tonsillectomies and now i'm super bricking it haha

Mine were done as an adult, and the op itself wasn't too bad although I had to stay in hospital for a few days as apparently there is more of a risk of bleeding post-op in adults than in children. It was my first GA as well, and I was also bricking it!

The worst thing was the earache for about two weeks afterwards due to the swelling - I lived for the next lot of painkillers! Stock up if you can before the op, and try to avoid seeing too many people in that time - you definitely don't want any infections when you've had a tonsillectomy.

Good luck OP, I'm sure you'll be fine!
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I have had several the most recent 3 years ago when a car hit me and broke my hip.
    The anaesthetic was fine just a little prick in the arm then off sleep.
    Came round in the recovery room with 2 nurses in attendance, a catheter had been inserted which was a good idea as you don't have to worry about going to the loo and that was that.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    No,unfortunately not - not in hospital anyway! When I had my tonsils out as an adult they wanted me to eat toast and other rough stuff to scrape all the crap that builds up off the back of your throat.... torture!

I had my tonsils out in the 1960's, when I was 13. I was ordered to eat cornflakes afterwards, no chance of any ice cream!
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people (of which I am one) are prone to nausea and vomiting after an anaesthetic.
    I mentioned this to the anaesthetist before one operation, and he gave me a different cocktail of drugs from what is normally used.

Instead of going out like a light, it took quite a while for me to go under. I remember gabbling away while it took effect, probably making less and sense as I got more out of it, and the last thing I remember is saying "I think I'm going to go now, bye" while 2 doctors laughed at me.

When I came round, I felt fantastic, I could have gone and partied. They wouldn't let me have anything to eat or drink, and I phoned my mate, demanding that she came and picked me up because I was going to discharge myself. My sensible friend turned up with sandwiches, a flask of tea and some doughnuts. When then surgeon came round to do his post-op checks, I was sitting in bed, with all my slap on, joking, laughing, eating and drinking.

He said that if the anaesthetic made you look and feel that good, he was going to try some for himself.