Boaden and Mitchell step aside

Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm not quite sure what that statement means- and neither was Bill Turnbull when he just read it out on breakfast.

Further announcement mid-morning.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC's director of news and her deputy have "stepped aside", the BBC understands.

The move by Helen Boaden and Steve Mitchell comes after director general George Entwistle quit on Saturday.

The BBC said it was not commenting yet, but there will be an announcement within hours.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20294283

"Stepping aside" would normally indicate a temporary change (as opposed to "stepping down").
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

"Stepping aside" would normally indicate a temporary change (as opposed to "stepping down").

In BBC-talk it means they've been sacked.Mitchell was due to retire soon anyway. I expect others to follow them walking the plank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

I would have thought that a sacking or resignation would have been described as stepping down, or "left by mutual consent".

Of course, this might be a precursor to a resignation or sacking once "negotiations" have been completed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

I would have thought that a sacking or resignation would have been described as stepping down, or "left by mutual consent".

Of course, this might be a precursor to a resignation or sacking once "negotiations" have been completed.

Boaden had already ''stepped aside'' as far as anything to do with Savile and was completely out of the chain, she can't ''step aside'' twice or she'll fall off the pavement.
    Ken McQuarrie's report on the McAlpine NN was delivered last night so we can expect further developments shortly.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Peter Rippon 'stepped aside' didn't he?

And everyone seems to think that means he won't be back.

This is getting a bit like a dot matrix inicator on the underground.

1 Entwistle 1 min
    2 Boaden 2 mins
    3 Mitchell 4 mins

Please stay away from the platform edge. Next sacking approaching.

There is a good sacking on all BBC services this morning,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rippon is still employed by the BBC though isn't he? Presumably awaiting the outcome of the inquiry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually in the BBC when the proverbial hits the fan they say Deputy heads will roll
    On this occasion it looks as if the big hitters themselves will fall
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Usually in the BBC when the proverbial hits the fan they say Deputy heads will roll

I would agree there - and perhaps this is how it should be (rather than allowing the foot soldiers and Captains to take the bullets).
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine there will be no shortage of people willing to be sacked if they walk away with a years pay and a good pension. People will be falling over themselves to admit blame. If you fail you should be punished, not rewarded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine there will be no shortage of people willing to be sacked if they walk away with a years pay and a good pension. People will be falling over themselves to admit blame. If you fail you should be punished, not rewarded.

Don't forget there's a difference between being sacked and resigning, your rights are not necessarily the same. They can't really touch your pension but it may well affect any sort of pay-off.Don't be too eager to get the sack !

Bit more on this story at

www.bbc.co.uk/ariel

Suggesting their departures actually linked with the Pollard inquiry
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there are legal implications, especially has (to my understanding) both where not involved in the McAlpine debacle.

"I have learned that lawyers acting for Ms Boaden and Mr Mitchell have informed Mr Davie that they are quite capable of running BBC News, even with the uncertainty created by the Pollard inquiry".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20294794
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Stepping aside" seems to be closely related to "gardening leave".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More detail now:
    BBC director of news Helen Boaden and her deputy Steve Mitchell have been asked to "step aside" pending the outcome of an internal review into the handling of the Jimmy Savile claims.

<snipped>

The BBC said neither Ms Boaden and Mr Mitchell "had anything at all to do with the failed Newnight investigation in Lord McAlpine".

However, they were in the chain of command at the time that Newsnight shelved an earlier investigation into abuse claims against former BBC presenter Jimmy Savile.

They had removed themselves from making decisions on some areas of BBC News output while a separate inquiry, by former head of Sky News Nick Pollard, was held into that decision.

Ken MacQuarrie, director of BBC Scotland, in his report on the north Wales broadcast said: "To address the lack of clarity around the editorial chain of command, a decision has been taken to re-establish a single management to deal with all output, Savile related or otherwise."

"Helen Boaden has decided that she is not in a position to undertake this responsibility until the Pollard review has concluded."

<snipped>

Ms Boaden and Mr Mitchell have been asked to surrender all their responsibilities as head and deputy head of BBC News, pending the results of the Pollard inquiry.

At this stage, and based upon that statement, it's not a sacking, it's not a resignation, and it's not gardening leave either (where the subject is paid but will not return during his/her notice period).

Of course, after the results of the inquiry are known, it could very well be a different matter.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By all accounts Entwistle was the wrong man for the job. That's not necessarily his failure - if you applied for a job you weren't up to, and got it, it would be a failure of the selection process. He's getting the package he negotiated, so again, that's not his failure. And again by all accounts, Entwistle was/is seen within the BBC as an intelligent, creative and decent man, so maybe he deserves to be cut a bit of slack.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More detail now:

At this stage, and based upon that statement, it's not a sacking, it's not a resignation, and it's not gardening leave either (where the subject is paid but will not return during his/her notice period).

Of course, after the results of the inquiry are known, it could very well be a different matter.
    Is a sensible course of action, makes a clearer chain of command, thought it would be odd to put Ms Boaden on 'garden leave' so long after the event, especially has she's been busy on other matters.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Funnily enough I was just thinking how LUCKY Boaden was on the way to work!

She was in the shortlist for the DG job - so missed THAT bullet - and, conveniently lost responsibility for Saville-related items so, apparently, cannot be blamed for the latest Newsnight mess!

Mind you I STILL think she may have have been one of the people who quietly leant on the Newsnight editor to pull the original Saville item at the end of last year!
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could the BBC define 'step aside?'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC sources now claiming that stepping aside is not the same as being sacked or resigning. Could they not give us a clue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC sources now claiming that stepping aside is not the same as being sacked or resigning. Could they not give us a clue?

Could the BBC define 'step aside?'

They already have in the link in post 14
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They already have in the link in post 14

Sorry, but it isn't clear to me. Stepping aside from what as HB was already out of news. And what will they be doing?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but it isn't clear to me. Stepping aside from what as HB was already out of news. And what will they be doing?

On 5 Live earlier it was said that she wasn't 'out of news' until today, she just had no involvement in any BBC News coverage of the Saville scandal.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it as being suspended on full pay pending the outcome of at least one of the various inquiries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I read it as being suspended on full pay pending the outcome of at least one of the various inquiries.

Quite - that would, in my book, be the commonly-accepted interpretation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torin Douglas, BBC media correspondent, said on Radio 5 that Adrian van Klaveren - who was managing the Savile/child abuse stories - has now returned to his post as Head of R5 in Manchester.
  • NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this stepping aside that folks at BBC are doing. They'll end up on SCD dance floor next week!!