Just as he was about to defect (or rather defect back) to the Tories

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30967633

Comments

• Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another blow for the UKIPs

How long until Farage is given his marching orders?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest it's just as embarassing for Cameron
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    To be honest it's just as embarassing for Cameron

No it isn't. He had not defected to the Conservatives, he was planning so to do but did not. They might not even have accepted him. In any event he has not defected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    No is isn't. He had not defected to the Conservatives, he was planning so to do but did not. They might not even have accepted him. In any event he has not defected.

He has according to Sky News

http://news.sky.com/story/1414289/ukip-mep-defects-to-conservative-party
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    An opportunist reveals himself. UKIP doesn't need people like this. Nor does any Party.

This man traded on his ethnicity. Its well known that Political Parties need ethnic minorities. Perhaps UKIP more than others, but all Parties are the same in wanting to recruit from minorities. Some applicants are genuine but some are simply opportunists. The politics for people like this isn't important, its the opportunity for personal advancement that counts.

I doubt he will be welcomed back by the Conservatives.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

BBC says different.

A UKIP MEP has been suspended over financial and employment concerns, hours before he was due to announce his defection to the Conservatives.

Sky says
    "On Friday, I met David Cameron and applied to join the Conservative Party.

No confirmation that he has been accepted.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »

You were saying.
    David Cameron said he was “absolutely delighted” to welcome Mr Bashir into the Tory fold and urged voters who have supported Ukip to “come back” to the Conservatives at the general election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11367754/Ukip-MEP-Amjad-Bashir-defects-to-Conservative-Party.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC says different.

A UKIP MEP has been suspended over financial and employment concerns, hours before he was due to announce his defection to the Conservatives.

Sky says
    "On Friday, I met David Cameron and applied to join the Conservative Party.

No confirmation that he has been accepted.

All very confusing.... we'll have to see how it pans out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »

Lets reword that then.

I doubt he will be welcomed back by most Conservatives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Lets reword that then.

That's a bigger u-turn than I've seen from Cameron.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised he's chosen to do this when he appears to have been very committed to UKIP and its aims regarding leaving the EU. Evidently he's not genuine about the UK becoming independent from the EU and certainly untrustworthy.

I suspect that he's really projecting the comments he's made about UKIP onto himself and that he's "concerned with furthering" his "own interests than delivering to the British people"

I'd also say that he's talking about himself when he says, "they're (UKIP) pretty amateur".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11367754/Ukip-MEP-Amjad-Bashir-defects-to-Conservative-Party.html

In an article for The Telegraph, Mr Bashir says: “After almost three years as a party member, I realise that Ukip is more concerned with furthering its own interests as a political party than delivering for the British people.

“I’ve seen Ukip both at home, and abroad, and I’m sorry to say they’re pretty amateur. In the European Parliament, some of their MEPs think it’s acceptable to shout and fool around.”
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silence is deafening in here, don't you think?

Not a very nice man. We don't need the likes of him running this country.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron said he was “absolutely delighted” to welcome Mr Bashir into the Tory fold and urged voters who have supported Ukip to “come back” to the Conservatives at the general election.

Ho, ho, ho. :D

These Tories will try and deny anything.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    Just how many UKIP members are on suspension now? Seems to be rather a lot doesn't it?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets reword that then.

Of course he won't be, he's got a dark skin, plus he's a Muslim.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a bigger u-turn than I've seen from Cameron.

:) Lets put it this way. To defect once might seem reasonable. To defect twice looks like opportunism.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course he won't be, he's got a dark skin, plus he's a Muslim.:D

When all else fails. Invoke the race card. It doesn't surprise anymore.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »

Going to be embarrassing for Cameron given he has made an official statement welcoming Bashir with open arms.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    Jerrybob wrote: »
    Going to be embarrassing for Cameron given he has made an official statement Bashir with open arms.

Equally emabarrasing. He was a UKIP member when the naughties took plsce. Hoprfully Mr Bashir will have some juicy stories about his fellow UKIP collesgues. This is just another hole in the sinking ship UKIP
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An opportunist reveals himself. UKIP doesn't need people like this. Nor does any Party.

This man traded on his ethnicity. Its well known that Political Parties need ethnic minorities. Perhaps UKIP more than others, but all Parties are the same in wanting to recruit from minorities. Some applicants are genuine but some are simply opportunists. The politics for people like this isn't important, its the opportunity for personal advancement that counts.

Just like they don't need Reckless or Carswell?

Your predictions are almost as bad as Farage's. :D
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the accusations against him I would think he'll fit in nicely and a possible future Chancellor or the Exchequer.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it isn't. He had not defected to the Conservatives, he was planning so to do but did not. They might not even have accepted him. In any event he has not defected.

He had already completed an article for the papers tomorrow regarding his defection so it was deal done.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I'm surprised he's chosen to do this when he appears to have been very committed to UKIP and its aims regarding leaving the EU. Evidently he's not genuine about the UK becoming independent from the EU and certainly untrustworthy.

I suspect that he's really projecting the comments he's made about UKIP onto himself and that he's "concerned with furthering" his "own interests than delivering to the British people"

I'd also say that he's talking about himself when he says, "they're (UKIP) pretty amateur".

In an article for The Telegraph, Mr Bashir says: “After almost three years as a party member, I realise that Ukip is more concerned with furthering its own interests as a political party than delivering for the British people.

“I’ve seen Ukip both at home, and abroad, and I’m sorry to say they’re pretty amateur. In the European Parliament, some of their MEPs think it’s acceptable to shout and fool around.”

Having seen his performance on Sunday Politics a few months ago, I would say he was pretty amateur and cringeworthy.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two likely outcomes for me:

1. If there's any truth in UKIP's allegations of Bashir wrongdoings then this will be a minor problem for UKIP (makes them continue to look amateurish) but a much bigger problem for the Tories by taking on some opportunist who was about to be suspended from his own party.

2. If there's no truth in UKIP's allegations they'll come out of it really badly.

I think the former most likely as UKIP would have to be ridiculously stupid to have made up unfounded allegations. But the latter still a possibility.