Impossible to revert to iOS 7 from 8?

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
Hi, before I update- it's not possible to go back to iOS 7 from 8 is it? My iPad Air is lagging, crashing or quitting on any graphics-heavy website or app (news sites particularly bad esp Guardian) and pages are freezing. I clear the cache daily. Problem is in Chrome and Safari. Probably a more serious memory issue but I thought I'd update. I'm really wary of Apple updates though.

Can anyone else confirm if Nouvel Obs app (French) works on their ipad as it won't even open on this one before quitting to the home screen.
I'd also like to know if any of the swipe type apps work on iOS 8 or they're all buggy?
Thanks v much

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Safari on iOS 8 much more stable than iOS 7.

I'm not sure how to do it, but I believe you can revert to an older iOS if you Jailbreak before you do the upgrade.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All browsers have the same engine so can you not use that Opera Mini server side browser for the Guardian?
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you cannot go back. Once you are on iOS 8 the only way is forward.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I would look at other things as well as the iPad.

I'm running IOS8 on an iPad mini (1st Gen) and it works fine.

Except - recently it won't load pages, times out, crashes etc. It turns out that the fibre broadband I had installed wasn't working properly (providing occasional very VERY slow speeds) and the Home Hub 5 was playing up too on the 5MHz band.

BT are looking into the speed issue and have recommended I switch off the 5MHz WiFi as the 2.4MHz is more stable.

Mind you they have also said I should add a second modem so don't have total faith in what they have said
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    thanks - I'm with BT but have no problems online with computer or phone.

Haven't a clue how to jailbreak it I'm afraid. It's still in warranty too.
    Or how to find the Opera side bar? It's not just the Guardian though. Any graphics heavy website or app just quits. The Independent freezes so is unusable. As I said, Nouvel Obs is pointless. I'm increasingly using my phone or laptop.

I've been reading an 82 page thread on iOS 8 crashes and problems. Apparently there's the highest rate of owners who haven't updated iOS ever.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I've been reading an 82 page thread on iOS 8 crashes and problems. Apparently there's the highest rate of owners who haven't updated iOS ever.
    You can find this on anything!!!! Personally, while IOS 8 did not have the best of starts, its current update (8.1.2) seems totally stable.

And no - you cannot go back once you upgrade!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks - I'm with BT but have no problems online with computer or phone.

Haven't a clue how to jailbreak it I'm afraid. It's still in warranty too.
    Or how to find the Opera side bar? It's not just the Guardian though. Any graphics heavy website or app just quits. The Independent freezes so is unusable. As I said, Nouvel Obs is pointless. I'm increasingly using my phone or laptop.

Have you tried Chrome? That might be better for some sites.

However, as I previosuly said, I had lots of problems with web browsing on iOS 7 which have gone away with iOS 8. Your iPad Air is more than powerful enough for it, whereas older iPads aren't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is worth noting that from Sunday things may get much worse for some.

App updates have to be 64 bit meaning the size will increase by up to 50%. So think twice before upgrading that app, it might hit you big time in crashing if jumping to 54 bit.
    It might seem strange, but certainly the 32 bit iPhone 5c and iPad 4 will be the most crash stable offering Apple have , ignoring the sensibly designed 2GB iPad Air 2)

Again, think twice before updating that app from now on. Maybe only do so if it fixes something for you.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It is worth noting that from Sunday things may get much worse for some.

App updates have to be 64 bit meaning the size will increase by up to 50%. So think twice before upgrading that app, it might hit you big time in crashing if jumping to 54 bit.
    It might seem strange, but certainly the 32 bit iPhone 5c and iPad 4 will be the most crash stable offering Apple have , ignoring the sensibly designed 2GB iPad Air 2)

Again, think twice before updating that app from now on. Maybe only do so if it fixes something for you.

Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye out on Sunday to see what devastating effect it has and report back.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

New apps must contain a 64 bit code slice from 1 February 2015 and this will be extended to updates from 1 June 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Wrong.

New apps must contain a 64 bit code slice from 1 February 2015 and this will be extended to updates from 1 June 2015.

Phew, panic over for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a bonus.

If the apps go 64 bit, then there will be less a need to juggle the 32bit and 64 bit OS stuff thus actually saving memory.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/20/apple-to-require-ios-apps-and-updates-to-use-ios-8-sdk-and-include-64-bit-support-from-february-2015/

"Existing apps are only affected if they want to submit feature or bug fix updates. Apple will not remove any apps currently on the store today."

I guess that Is just plain wrong then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    There is a bonus.

If the apps go 64 bit, then there will be less a need to juggle the 32bit and 64 bit OS stuff thus actually saving memory.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/20/apple-to-require-ios-apps-and-updates-to-use-ios-8-sdk-and-include-64-bit-support-from-february-2015/

"Existing apps are only affected if they want to submit feature or bug fix updates. Apple will not remove any apps currently on the store today."

I guess that Is just plain wrong then.

Don't worry. I expect no one will notice any difference.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see 8.2 is now available to update. I am still on ios 7 on my ipad mini 2 due to the negative reviews of ios 8. What are others experiences is it worth upgrading?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to that pic, it includes a 'Timely' advert.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/ios-8-2-uses-your-home-screen-as-an-apple-watch-advertisement/

So the .2 looks like it adds all the watch framework.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    I see 8.2 is now available to update. I am still on ios 7 on my ipad mini 2 due to the negative reviews of ios 8. What are others experiences is it worth upgrading?

You are reading the wrong reviews; 8.x is way better than 7.

However, I'd wait for them to get the bugs out of 8.2.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Shall I wait for 8.3 which should be out soon? But what if that has bugs as well?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Shall I wait for 8.3 which should be out soon? But what if that has bugs as well?

If you wait for all the bugs to be taken out of an operating system then your great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandchildren will still be waiting to upgrade your device. :D

May as well take the plunge and upgrade now. Most of the stuff that was bad about iOS8 appears to have been fixed by iOS8.1, I've certainly not noticed any serious problems with it on my iPhone and not aware of any serious problems on the several hundred iPhones we have spread around the company either.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For 99.9% of people there is no useful functional difference between iOS 8 and iOS7.

Although I will say that iOS8.2 does now seem quite snappy on my 4S; 8.0 wasn't great, but they have genuinely improved its performance. Unlike Android on my 2012N7, which has been consistently getting slower and slower .... Apple have a better focus on efficiency at the moment than Google (which really does sound rather bizarre).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fact is they all add bloated stuff you don't really want or need.

I think Microsofts involvement with Cyagenmod means they want to add their own Android bloat using a light Android, open sourced from Google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    For 99.9% of people there is no useful functional difference between iOS 8 and iOS7.)

Really? I'm fairly sure I wasn't the only person who had frequent Safari crashes under iOS 7 which disappeared in 8.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I'm fairly sure I wasn't the only person who had frequent Safari crashes under iOS 7 which disappeared in 8.

Bug fixes would be categorised separately to functional differences - of which there are barely any; know plenty of people who have had no issues with safari crashing out on iOS7 and 8. Personally rarely use Safari on the iPhone as I find it a hateful experience. Much prefer the feel of IE on my 1020.