4mb down to 2mb - any difference

Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In a bid to save more money I'm looking at how much I pay for Broadband services.

Currently I pay £25 for mb, which has been great. I noticed a deal online offering 2mb for £10 and I'm keen to take up the offer.

Can anyone tell me if there's a huge difference between 4 and 2 mb? :confused: I have no idea about this kind of thing.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    One of the major differences i can think of is the STM kicks in after 350mb on 2mb and 750mb on 4mb, so thats one thing for you too consider i suppose if you download more than 350mb between 4-12, as your speed would be resticted down to 1mb for 4 hours.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres 2 difference.:rolleyes:

Something that would take an hour to download would probably take 2 hours. As for everyday surfing you won't notice a difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Well, it's double the speed, but in all honesty I think that 4Mbps is not that far away from 2Mbps to have a massive difference.

4Mbps is obviously faster, but if you only use the web for general kinds of things (i.e. you don't strain your bandwidth with playing Xbox live, download DVD-quality films or spend all day downloading loads of albums), then 2Mbps is fine, and cheaper.

An average music track would take around 20 seconds on 2Mbps, which isn't too bad.
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

An average music track would take around 20 seconds on 2Mbps, which isn't too bad.

Oh, I see, it took about that long on iTunes the other day...

I do download TV shows, but they take a good few hours anyway, I sort it out before I go to sleep or in the mornings before work... So... I guess it won't make too much of a diiference.
  • sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The upload is also faster on the 4Mb - not a problem unless you send out lots of big files.
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly send any. Worth a shot, if I don't like what I get I'll revert back to 4mb
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    It won't be a difference between 4 and 2 Mb if it's anything like my 2Mb - it'll be a difference between 4Mb and 1Mb or less. You might get 2Mb in the morning but most of the day it'll run at nothing like that.
    I moved back to the UK from France 3 months ago and I'm only just now realising how expensive and backward the UK is in this respect. Here, it's all big talk and no result.
    Parts of France , mainly Paris at the moment, are on 200Mb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an existing customer I don't think you'll qualify for the £10 / month for the first 12 months deal.

If you are out of contract you could try calling retentions to get a deal.

Or if you add a service you didn't have before you could get a bundle deal http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/index.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    If you downgrade from 4mb to 2mb you will be charged £18 a month. £10/month for 12 months is available to new customers only.

You can, however, get 2mb broadband and the phone line for £14.50 a month just now.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal.html