IS executes 150 women who refuse to marry militants

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    they sure need something similar to a reformation and an age of enlightenment for a start.
    Problem with that is it's trying to consider the Islamic states as a nation or group of nations, as Europe was in the 1500s. They're not.
    They vary from warlord led tribal groups to proto-democracies, with all the development points in-between, and not even religion in common when you consider the factions.
    The non-seperation of religion from politics isn't conducive to a Reformation either.

Essentially most Islamic political structures are trapped in the 12th -15th century, without the benefit of the split of power between church and state that had developed by then. You'd have thought they'd have learned - when they held power in the Levant a millenium ago they were always frustrated by how unmanageable the various Arab tribes were because of no centralised structure, and had their own major centres of advanced civilisation long before we settled down into working out how to do it.

The irony is that by wanting a single Islamic state ISIS have the right idea, but the wrong reasons. Thankfully they have no hope of achieving it - even more ironically because of their inhuman attitudes.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner this Vile scum are eradicated the better
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    /snip

Also what is quite interesting is that during that time america or uk (dont remember which) taught the rebels (ISIS) how to use the internet and in particular twitter as a tool to mobilise people and as a tool of propaganda. So when you see ISIS using twitter as a tool to mobilise people and as a tool of propaganda now you know who to thank

I know nothing about this. It sounds like anti western propaganda. I kind of remember the Arab spring stuff but that's not specific to ISIS and was just a few years ago when I think even the people in Syria and such technological backwaters knew how to use the internet and find twitter already. I found it, and used it without any training whatsoever.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I found it, and used it without any training whatsoever.
    And do most kids...
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And do most kids...

No to mention the kids educated in "the West" that go off to the Middle East and join IS.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem with that is it's trying to consider the Islamic states as a nation or group of nations, as Europe was in the 1500s. They're not.
    They vary from warlord led tribal groups to proto-democracies, with all the development points in-between, and not even religion in common when you consider the factions.
    The non-seperation of religion from politics isn't conducive to a Reformation eith
    er.

Essentially most Islamic political structures are trapped in the 12th -15th century, without the benefit of the split of power between church and state that had developed by then. You'd have thought they'd have learned - when they held power in the Levant a millenium ago they were always frustrated by how unmanageable the various Arab tribes were because of no centralised structure, and had their own major centres of advanced civilisation long before we settled down into working out how to do it.

The irony is that by wanting a single Islamic state ISIS have the right idea, but the wrong reasons. Thankfully they have no hope of achieving it - even more ironically because of their inhuman attitudes.

I wish this was universally understood. It would also save acres of space on DS.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no answer to them, other than to completely destroy them, which is impossible.

No, it is indeed possible - just very very unpalatable.

Our standards have changed since 1945.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    No to mention the kids educated in "the West" that go off to the Middle East and join IS.

Without finding a way to block IS sophisticated recruitment techniques, a determined campaign by parents and TPTB, they will never be stopped.

Good news today the Khurds have ended the siege in Northern Iraq, freeing the Yazidis trapped on the Sinjar Mountains. IS are now retreating.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/isis-in-iraq-yazidis-freed-from-mount-sinjar-after-being-trapped-since-august-1.2879013
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The non-seperation of religion from politics isn't conducive to a Reformation either.

BiB - Well actually it's not, it's mearly suggesting that if something where possible then it woud be a good thing. It's what is needed but, for the reasons you set out, it's not going to happen any time soon.

I quite agree with the rest of your post.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    In the same way that 'Jesus' is proud of this mad lot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army

All brainwashed murderers.

Yeah, I pointed out the similarities to Kony's crew earlier in the thread. It's not a compliment, is it. I've had a little personal experience of them, years back.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot reason with evil.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can take it for granted that there was no notion of love involved in these potential "marriages". Scum.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain to me the mentality of free young women from the West travelling to Syria or Iraq to become an IS 'bride'?

I simply cannot understand it - what the f*** do they think their lives are going to be like once they achieve their wonderful ambition?

It hurts my brain.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I said this in the thread about the 140 kids that got killed yesterday.

They were Muslims also. Yet the killers are also Muslims.

Which kind of points to something that many Muslims have banged on about since 9/11 when all Muslims bandied under the banner of 'evil/fanatical/barbaric etc'.....that your ordinary Muslim has absolutely NOTHING to do with the likes of AL-Q/IS/Taliban etc and they are actually the biggest victims at the hands of these killers.

Plenty of 'ordinary' muslims have left these islands to go fight with IS and the same from many other countries across the world so how are you defining an 'ordinary' muslim?