The rise of mental illness in America

2»

Comments

• Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    They've turned depression (or what people think is depression) into an industry. Clinical depression is obviously a genuine disorder and not to be underestimated but Big Pharma thinks we should be gulping down pills every time we feel a bit browned off about something. Having a bad day is not something in need of pharmaceutical intervention.

Ah, ok. I'd call that over-diagnosing. Not quite the same as making up cures for diseases which don't exist.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Pffft! You're such an American, Steve. Why spend your money spilling your guts to a therapist when you could just start a thread on a public forum. :p

Hahaha, ohh silly me.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're only just beginning to understand the links between a bad diet high in fat and sugar and mental illness. Given that figures sow that more Americans are overweight than not, I would suppose diet has a lot to do with it.

But as a previous poster has said, depression in an industry now and it needs customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're only just beginning to understand the links between a bad diet high in fat and sugar and mental illness. Given that figures sow that more Americans are overweight than not, I would suppose diet has a lot to do with it.

But as a previous poster has said, depression in an industry now and it needs customers.

Whoa really? I have never seen these figures, can you link?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    ^^^About Americans being overweight you do not need any fugures.Anyone who has been to America will tell you loads of Americans are overweight and/or do not look healthy.There are 2 things people first notice when they visit the US--1.How obese many people there are.2.How many adverts they have on TV there. And it is ironic because Americans (Years ago) used to be known for being slim , strong and healthy.That certainly changed.I guess all the prescription drugs they advertise on TV there are not doing much good,aye?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Everyone in the US appears too need a therapist...but I would imagine not everyone in the US NEEDS a therapist.

They are portrayed as going to therapy at the drop of a hat...

Plenty of people in the UK use the services of a counsellor.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Denholm wrote: »
    ^^^About Americans being overweight you do not need any fugures.Anyone who has been to America will tell you loads of Americans are overweight and/or do not look healthy.There are 2 things people first notice when they visit the US--1.How obese many people there are.2.How many adverts they have on TV there. And it is ironic because Americans (Years ago) used to be known for being slim , strong and healthy.That certainly changed.I guess all the prescription drugs they advertise on TV there are not doing much good,aye?

It depends on where you go. Colorado is full of sporty,strong Americans running about or using cycle paths.

Las Vegas was full of very fat women and very sporty cowboys in tight white jeans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bro lemme tell you, it's not more than not, it's 30% it's a huge problem yes, but you guys are deliberately peddling lies if you think it's the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Granted it may not be the majority of Americans,but I question why so many more of them are overweight or even the opposite--underweight now as opposed to years ago.Is it the rubbish modern American diet full of chemicals,all the prescription drugs Americans take now?Afterall America is known as the most drugged up nation in the world .What has changed so much there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted it may not be the majority of Americans,but I question why so many more of them are overweight or even the opposite--underweight now as opposed to years ago.Is it the rubbish modern American diet full of chemicals,all the prescription drugs Americans take now?Afterall America is known as the most drugged up nation in the world .What has changed so much there?

The internet, and excess hormone's in the meat.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you noticed the UK, you're no better there! And you proudly have the fattest man in the world there too. What changed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What changed in the UK you ask.I'm confident what PlatinumSteve mentioned--the internet has had a negative impact here too.For example far less younger people are outdoors now playing football etc. or just being with their mates in the fresh air.It certainly has changed a lot from when I was growing up.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The panel who decide what goes into the DSM Manual are almost all on the payroll of pharmaceutical companies. They medicalise everything these days. Watch too much TV? you're mentally ill, like biscuits? eating disorder blah blah blah. Huge con.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

The UK isn't far behind the US now.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Bro lemme tell you, it's not more than not, it's 30% it's a huge problem yes, but you guys are deliberately peddling lies if you think it's the majority.

It's 32% in the U.S. and 26% in the UK. Not that much of a difference.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK isn't far behind the US now.

That's true, from what I see. Prescription drug use and diagnosis of mental illness is rising throughout the world. It is important to take into account that in the US there is probably most risk of malpractice suits, so if someone complains of depression, a doctor could feel coerced to describe. In addition, depression lost its stigma in the US long before it did in Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to tell whether these mental health figures are related to exploitation and over-diagnosing through private healthcare, general population increase, or a decrease in stigma.