Options

Is this Justified?

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    AJ21 wrote: »
    recognition perhaps, he did it with trayvon martin, why did he not do the same for the murdered brits?

Because any such intervention would be meddling with an ongoing criminal prosecution.
    Basically, Obama condemns Shawn Tyson, Tyson gets convicted, defence lawyer appeals sentence on the grounds of prejudice, Tyson gets reduced sentence or, possibly, aquitted entirely.

The whole POINT of Obama getting involved in the Trayvon affair is because no legal action is being taken against the shooter because he acted within Texas law.
    Obama is anti-gun so he's using that incident as leverage to revise gun laws.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get what Obama was supposed to do or why they wrote to him. I'd have thought it highly improper for any leader to make any comment during a trial anyway.

But again, why write to him in the first place?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I don't get what Obama was supposed to do or why they wrote to him. I'd have thought it highly improper for any leader to make any comment during a trial anyway.

Exactly...And the case was dealt with adequately by the US justice system. Obama can't be expected to write every single murder victim.
  • Options
    AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Because any such intervention would be meddling with an ongoing criminal prosecution.
    Basically, Obama condemns Shawn Tyson, Tyson gets convicted, defence lawyer appeals sentence on the grounds of prejudice, Tyson gets reduced sentence or, possibly, aquitted entirely.

The whole POINT of Obama getting involved in the Trayvon affair is because no legal action is being taken against the shooter because he acted within Texas law.
    Obama is anti-gun so he's using that incident as leverage to revise gun laws.

he should have said something after the verdict was given, not before obviously
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member

Actually that's a good point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Said what?

It seems a bit off even thinking of writing to the leader of the country.

What did they want him to do, confirm it?
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    A generic letter of condolence wouldn't have gone amiss.

A friend of mines brother was shot dead by a householder in America. His crime? Him and a friend got lost and they stopped their car to ask a local householder for directions, he knocked on the door but the householder took fright and shot him dead on the doorstep because he thought he might be an intruder! Since when did an intruder knock on the door?! The powers that be tried to tarnish his character by suggesting that he was drunk and disorderly, neither of which were true. He was in fact a pillar of society and stone cold sober........the cornerstone of his family who grieve him deeply to this day.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Why did they write to the President? It doesn't say in the article. It sounds a bit odd and saying he cannot spare the time to reply :confused: How do they know? There are good reasons why he may not respond other than he can't be bothered :rolleyes:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liloleme wrote: »
    He get's around 65000 letters a week.

Okay. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said what?

It seems a bit off even thinking of writing to the leader of the country.

What did they want him to do, confirm it?

he got involved with the trayvon case, the murdered brits case was worse because two men were executed by a thieving youth who used racial slurs too

the trayvon case seems like zimmerman was defending himself anyway, so therefore the murdered brits case is worse
  • Options
    Forum Member

Does Obama comment on every murder in the USA?

The point is that these comments were made directly after the end of the trial so they were made on the basis of the level of support they received prior to the verdict.

And now, I suppose, if they DO receive any correspondance from Obama's office some people will assume he's just back-pedalling.

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surprise surprise there has been no mention of them criticizing obama in the US press

Is the old anti-white left wing US press at it again? I think it's maybe you with the agenda. It has been mentioned.

Anyway on topic. Obama has had a strange relationship with the US, I'm not surprised. Two foreigners murdered in cold blood in a state that relies on tourism and he hasn't even replied is pretty off TBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    he got involved with the trayvon case, the murdered brits case was worse because two men were executed by a thieving youth who used racial slurs too

the trayvon case seems like zimmerman was defending himself anyway, so therefore the murdered brits case is worse

For the love of god, there IS no "Treyvon case". :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A generic letter of condolence wouldn't have gone amiss.

A friend of mines brother was shot dead by a householder in America. His crime? Him and a friend got lost and they stopped their car to ask a local householder for directions, he knocked on the door but the householder took fright and shot him dead on the doorstep because he thought he might be an intruder! Since when did an intruder knock on the door?! The powers that be tried to tarnish his character by suggesting that he was drunk and disorderly, neither of which were true. He was in fact a pillar of society and stone cold sober........the cornerstone of his family who grieve him deeply to this day.

what happened to the householder, he should have gone to prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i still dont get what comment he should have made or what they were after?

A signed photo, perhaps?

It seems a bit crass, I have to say. The trial was ongoing. Hate to say it but it smacks of people trying to capitalise on the 'news worthiness' of their cause to make contact with the President. I can think of no earthly reason why they would have to do this.

'The person suspected of our son's murder is on trial. Do you think we can get a letter from Obama out of it?'

Hate to say it but the fact this as been subsequently brought to the presses attention does suggest that they're a bit miffed about being cold shouldered. Perhaps upset an invitation to the White House wasn't provided.

It's potentially quite distasteful.
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member

Why do you keep going on about a case you are sick of hearing about? You are repeatedly bringing it up. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    For the love of god, there IS no "Treyvon case". :(

you know what I mean:confused: - the shooting of trayvon martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Liloleme wrote: »
    He get's around 65000 letters a week.
    zx50 wrote: »
    Okay. Fair enough.

Fair enough? For a country the size of the US of A who keep tabs on a population of approx 313,232,044 and ensure most of them pay tax as well as targetting most of them in political campaigns, I don't think answering letters from 65000 of them is too tall an order! :mad:

I agree. Sadly he did not. He was admonished because he was 'protecting his property'.
  • Options
    LilolemeLiloleme Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member

Why do you keep bringing it up when you claim you are sick of hearing about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not in the USA. This kind of thing is allowed there was a very famous case of a Japanese kid who got lost on the way to a Halloween party and knocked on the door only to get shot. The killer there got away with it too.

This is why the Trayvon case is very significant because perhaps finally after all the outrage gun totting house holders won't be able to kill without impunity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Sadly he did not. He was admonished because he was 'protecting his property'.

that seems really unfair, the householder should not have got away with it.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

He got involved in a crime that was commited in the country of which he is president, why shouldn't he and why because he did should he comment on this one? He's entitled to comment on whatever he wants and not have to because we want him to.

Did the family want him to comment or did they want a response to the letter that was written? The latter I think. No doubt there are countless letters that are very important to the writers that aren't responded to by all leaders including our esteemed one.

This is a non story unless there is an agenda against Obama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »
    Not in the USA. This kind of thing is allowed there was a very famous case of a Japanese kid who got lost on the way to a Halloween party and knocked on the door only to get shot. The killer there got away with it too.

This is why the Trevlyon case is very significant because perhaps finally after all the outrage gun totting house holders won't be able to kill without impunity.

they should get rid of guns, too many people get killed by them
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah but the point is that Obama is free to express an opinion on Treyvon Martin's shooting because nobody has been charged with anything so there's no possibility anything he says could be seen to prejudice the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that seems really unfair, the householder should not have got away with it.

Exactly! I agree that 'a mans home is his castle' and all that but this was a clear case of a decent citizen asking for help, totally corrupt system gone wrong in this case.