Options

Thailand murders

rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There seems to be quite a few of these cases, why do tourists end up getting murdered in these countries? You would think they would be welcomed with open arms (which the vast majority probably are) for putting their money into the economy

Anyone with knowledge of these countries?

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be quite a few of these cases, why do tourists end up getting murdered in these countries? You would think they would be welcomed with open arms (which the vast majority probably are) for putting their money into the economy

Tragic though it is, you're right - it's only quite a few.
    13 Brits out of 4 million Brit travelers in 5 years.

I've traveled in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and found the people to be totally charming and very honest and trustworthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic though it is, you're right - it's quite a few.

I've traveled in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and found the people to be totally charming and very honest and trustworthy.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not there

It seems much more common than in other parts of the world, how many foreign tourists are murdered in the US or Australia or Paris?
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you've read the latest reports but the police are looking for another British tourist who was known to the victims in connection with these murders, so not really anything to do with the Thai people.

My daughter and her friend are currently in Thailand ( she was actually on the island where these murders happened just last week ) so I've been quite anxious since this story came to light, but I am somewhat relieved to know that this was a personal attack from someone known to them - sorry if that sounds insensitive..it's no relief to those poor youngsters' families, obviously.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Well it was not a Thai person by all accounts but when you go to a country with such poverty - it is rather sensible not to flaunt your own wealth. Some people in Thailand are earning as little as £100 per month. It would not be surprising if some people turn to crime when tourists are spending that kind of money for a couple of nights drinking and other entertaining.

Indeed when I went to Louisianna, which while the poorest US State is still richer than Thailand the rule of thumb was if you get mugged - then hand over your wallet. Credit cards can be cancelled, phones blocked, and the money has got to be worth less than your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't the investigation shifted to Burmese migrant workers now?

Sounds like the Thai police are trying to blame anybody but a Thai person. I'm not sure I would ever trust the police in these countries if it was my family member
    Well it was not a Thai person by all accounts but when you go to a country with such poverty - it is rather sensible not to flaunt your own wealth. Some people in Thailand are earning as little as £100 per month. It would not be surprising if some people turn to crime when tourists are spending that kind of money for a couple of nights drinking and other entertaining.

I can understand robbery, but murder and/or rape? And to play devils advocate, surely would stay in groups and have your wits about you in these countries? These are usually middle class kids, are they getting drunk/taking drugs and forgetting where they are?
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son's just spent a couple of months in Thailand. I get the impression it's safer than travelling in Europe. You have to act sensibly in any place you are unfamiliar with. But Thailand seems pretty safe.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Hasn't the investigation shifted to Burmese migrant workers now?

AFAIK
    I can understand robbery, but murder and/or rape? And to play devils advocate, surely would stay in groups and have your wits about you in these countries? These are usually middle class kids, are they getting drunk/taking drugs and forgetting where they are?

You would be surprised the number of people taking drugs in Thailand which has got to be one of the dumbest things you can do (outside countries like Indonesia and Singapore). Drinking as well is done to excess, with half of them getting violently ill. Thailand has even had to create a Tourist Police to deal with the issue.

Of course we do not know the full details of what happened here so are only speculating - but when you are well off and in a country of such relative poverty - then it is not wise to flaunt it.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

That's 13 Brits too many IMO.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just guessing, but perhaps they were having sex on the beach, which upset the sensibilities of the Thais or Burmese.?
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

apart from the murderers?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not there

It seems much more common than in other parts of the world, how many foreign tourists are murdered in the US or Australia or Paris?

This might answer your question: 'Britons arrested, robbed or killed abroad - a breakdown of the 20 countries where British citizens are most likely to need consular help' (the Guardian, August 2009).
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's 13 Brits too many IMO.
    Well it's a lot lower than the rate you get at home! And a lot lower than the rate amongst Thai people too. I think your expectations are unrealistic. Thailand is very safe for tourists.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and murders of foreign visitors do not happen in Britain?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son's just spent a couple of months in Thailand. I get the impression it's safer than travelling in Europe. You have to act sensibly in any place you are unfamiliar with. But Thailand seems pretty safe.

They have just had years of civil unrest and violence both state and civilian and the current dictator has just gone on TV to say western tourists should remember that there is a lot of violence in the country and take sensible precautions. Thailand us definately not safer than travelling in Europe - unless you are thinking of the Ukraine....
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    This might answer your question: 'Britons arrested, robbed or killed abroad - a breakdown of the 20 countries where British citizens are most likely to need consular help' (the Guardian, August 2009).

It doesn't really help as it doesn't give it as a percentage of tourists so the figures can't be compared. Useful for seeing how much consular cover is needed but not really for gauging safety of the destination.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have just had years of civil unrest and violence both state and civilian and the current dictator has just gone on TV to say western tourists should remember that there is a lot of violence in the country and take sensible precautions. Thailand us definately not safer than travelling in Europe - unless you are thinking of the Ukraine....

You mean like not walking through the middle of demonstrations? Well yes ... of course. Maybe a link to the TV comments would help clarify.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The crime scene photos for this incident are online, and are quite graphic. The poor girl especially suffered terrible injuries. Awful.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    mark_b wrote: »
    Well it's a lot lower than the rate you get at home! And a lot lower than the rate amongst Thai people too. I think your expectations are unrealistic. Thailand is very safe for tourists.

Oh wow, I'm sure relatives will be able to put the deaths in the past knowing that.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    but isnt the #1 suspect in this a brit?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The crime scene photos for this incident are online, and are quite graphic. The poor girl especially suffered terrible injuries. Awful.

Blimey, that didn't take long.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    but isnt the #1 suspect in this a brit?

Nope, apparently not any more.
    Last I heard, they reckon it was a Filipinos now.

Must say, I do find it slightly odd the way that, in these cases, the country's police often seem to have a foreigner in the frame for it.
    It's almost like they're reluctant to consider it might be one of their own people.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My prediction. Well since it is necessary for Thailand's tourist industry for the police to 'solve' this crime, someone - or more than one person - will be arrested soon and will 'voluntarily confess' shortly thereafter. Thus circumventing the need for much in the way of other forms of corroborating proof.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    My prediction. Well since it is necessary for Thailand's tourist industry for the police to 'solve' this crime, someone - or more than one person - will be arrested soon and will 'voluntarily confess' shortly thereafter. Thus circumventing the need for much in the way of other forms of corroborating proof.

The bloodied jeans and the iphone found at the suspect's house which belonged to the male victim might go some way to pointing the finger at somebody though.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been all over Thailand and it is generally a very safe place as is the rest of SE Asia. Most of the crime is tourist on tourist when too much drink has been taken. The locals are usually very good towards visitors as they know how important they are to the economy and the Thai justice system is very brutal.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member

They are naive and have a giant target on their backs.