Football Commentators Thread (merged)

Comments

• LankyLanky Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    That's right if my memory serves me Martin Tyler was commentating for Yorkshire tv at Bradford when that awful fire broke out.

I think that was John Helm, now of Channel 5
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote:
    Although he lives in Southampton. :)

Some has Too live there

:p
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoopsie

Try " Someone as to Live There "

:-)
  • walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoopsie

Try " Someone as to Live There "

:-)

or even Someone has to live there!!
  • HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    He might be on today, isn't there a match on today.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Ian Darke and Andy Gray today.
  • NickleicsNickleics Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Whatever it is that is happened, the evidence is clear to see: Tyler is off the big games, but still with Sky; Darke is back as the main man (having never been before); and Payne is the other casuality, losing Sat games.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was going to ask about that, that Sunday is seen as the "top" match to commentate each week? has to be I guess.

I can understand Darkie doing more with the cut back in Boxing but to take over Sunday makes it seem more than that.
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote:
    Ian Darke and Andy Gray today.
    Yes Alan Parry and Andy Townsend on TWI, so who covered Prem Plus match?
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were no Premplus games today, there were two yesterday - Alan Parry did one, Martin Tyler the other.
    Forum Member
    Ah, yes that's right, well let's hope Martin Tyler is back for the big one.

My 2,500 post :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty, WHO GIVES A FUPP!!!!!!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    walaboobah wrote:

I agree, I'm interested in watching the football and not listening to the commentator.

On saying that the football has often been so crap this season that I've been mainly listening to the 2 blokes in fanzone, often more entertaining than the match!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Tyler bust up reports denied
    January 18, 2005
    Updated at 11:29 AM on January 21, 2005

Reports suggesting Sky Sports commentator Martin Tyler has had a bust up with bosses have been denied by Sky Sports.

A spokesman for Sky Sports has told us that the rumours are false and added "Martin Tyler is still one of four commentators used across Premiership football alongside Ian Darke, Ron Hawthorne and Alan Parry. All four have commentated on top level football on Sky Sports during the last decade and will continue to do so."

Rumours of a bust up had escalated since Ian Darke has been commentating on the last few Sky Sports Premiership games.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    walaboobah wrote:
    Obviously, a number of people do. If you can't contribute constructively, . . .
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walaboobah wrote:
    Martin Tyler bust up reports denied
    January 18, 2005
    Updated at 11:29 AM on January 21, 2005

Reports suggesting Sky Sports commentator Martin Tyler has had a bust up with bosses have been denied by Sky Sports.

A spokesman for Sky Sports has told us that the rumours are false and added "Martin Tyler is still one of four commentators used across Premiership football alongside Ian Darke, Ron Hawthorne and Alan Parry. All four have commentated on top level football on Sky Sports during the last decade and will continue to do so."

Rumours of a bust up had escalated since Ian Darke has been commentating on the last few Sky Sports Premiership games.

Slightly odd that. Although factually correct in that they have all covered football, to describe him as "one of four" seems slightly as if his role has been downgraded. He was always known as the number 1 before. "Still one of four" not our "main commentator"? Statement is interesting in what it doesn't say as in as much as what it does say. No reasons given for switching etc. Is there a link for the statement?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote:
    Slightly odd that. Although factually correct in that they have all covered football, to describe him as "one of four" seems slightly as if his role has been downgraded. He was always known as the number 1 before. "Still one of four" not our "main commentator"? Statement is interesting in what it doesn't say as in as much as what it does say. No reasons given for switching etc. Is there a link for the statement?

I found it here!

http://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchive/2005/01/martin_tyler_bu.php

Don't know if it's on the Sky Sports website though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IanFergus wrote:
    Obviously, a number of people do. If you can't contribute constructively, . . .

But why though? Surely it is the players that make the game, not who is commentating on it! Personally i like it when you get the option to listen to just the crowd noise!

Kind of feels more like you are at the game!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    McGraw wrote:
    He is actually a lot less knowledgeable about football than plenty of other commentators.

Plus, he is obviously heavily pro-Arsenal.

In the Arsenal-Chelsea game, when Arsenal scored, he said "Take that Chelsea!"

Plus if you watch Arsenal play Manchester United for instance, you will notice that he wildly celebrates Arsenal goals but clams up when United score.

I think that plenty of other people have noticed this and complained, forcing Sky's hand.

Possibly the biggest load of kack i have ever read! If thats the case, then Andy Gray is gonna have to do a walk because he is really pro Man U. You Man U?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Leaskovski wrote:
    Possibly the biggest load of kack i have ever read! If thats the case, then Andy Gray is gonna have to do a walk because he is really pro Man U. You Man U?

There is no team called "Man U"

Tyler's support of Arsenal is clear for all to see. His sheer delight everytime Thierry Heeeenrrryyyyyy! scores is a farce.

The final straw must have been his gloating when Arsenal took the lead against Chelsea with a quick free kick a few weeks back.
  • Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad he's gone from the top matches. His pro-Arsenal commentary was shocking ... how did he get away with wearing an ARSENAL tie at matches!!!???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member

Tyler's support of Arsenal is clear for all to see. His sheer delight everytime Thierry Heeeenrrryyyyyy! scores is a farce.

The final straw must have been his gloating when Arsenal took the lead against Chelsea with a quick free kick a few weeks back.

You know who i mean! :rolleyes: As for the Arsenal Chelsea game, i don't know because i didn't watch it on the TV. I had VIP tickets to go to highbury to watch it ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite right, it's Man Ure!
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wildgust wrote:
    The big clue is that he may support Derby County, less people do that than commentate for the BBc.

What ! Richie Benaud is going to the football, Great ! :)
  • tigertiger Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Tyler/Gray combination. They are the no.1 pairing. I also liked Monday night footie with Andy Gray back in the studio with Richard Keys.
    Great entertainment, with Ian Darke doing the commentary.
    On champs league night with multi screen, up to 8 games sometimes, who are the commentators on all of these.?
This discussion has been closed.