Problems with new View21 Freeview Box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I just bought a view21 freeview box (model: vw11fvszu).

I plugged it all in (all very simple) - and installed all of the TV channels available to me. The remote control was a bit unresponsive during this process.

At this point I had a TV channel viewable on my TV screen.

Then a message popped up asking if I wanted to connect to the wi-fi network.

I said yes and input all of the relevant info (again, the remote control was a bit unresponsive and sluggish).

The message on the screen said that connection had been successful.

Then the box said that it was going to update its software using the wi-fi link - and set about doing that. Progress on that update reached the 100% mark.

Unfortunately, at that point, the TV screen went black and STAYED black.

The remote control is totally unresponsive (we've tried 3 sets of batteries that we KNOW work) - and we are unable to get ANY kind of connection on from the freeview box to the TV (despite unplugging all leads and cables, leaving the box for 30 minutes - and then reconnecting).

I have emailed the view21 support team - but they (apparently) don't work Saturdays.

I'm thinking that there's a problem that I can't fix (I can't access any kind of menu on the box to re-tune etc) - and that I need to return the device.

Before I do that though -- has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? Or am I doing something stupidly wrong?

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just for info, I took that unit back and exchanged it for another one (the same make and model).

I've just got home and plugged it all in -- and this one won't even start up (there's no power getting to it / no 'on' light illuminated).

Brilliant.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the quality of freeview equipment is very variable (so I have found over the years).
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    DeanB wrote: »
    Just for info, I took that unit back and exchanged it for another one (the same make and model).

I've just got home and plugged it all in -- and this one won't even start up (there's no power getting to it / no 'on' light illuminated).

Brilliant.

Tbh, it sounds like there's a quality control issue with these boxes. Here are your rights:

Under the Sale of Goods Act you have a statutory right to return something and get your money back if it's faulty. Returns policies are usually displayed on receipts, on signs in-store and online.You can also ring the shop's customer services line to find out its returns policy.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-want-to-return-my-goods-what-are-my-rights/

If it were me, I'd go get a refund and see what Youview or Freeview HD+ recording boxes were within my price range. Before buying any piece of kit like this, I look for customer product reviews on Amazon, Argos and Reevoo (or just typing in [name of product] reviews into Google) to try to ensure that I avoid the turkeys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the feedback :)

That's all useful stuff.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of Huawei Youview boxes on eBay for around £50. They get the full catchup services including one from UKTV branded Dave and Milkshake. No other connectivity as yet as it is a separate "environment" however catchup for the last 7 days is integrated into the EPG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I wouldn't buy a Freeview box now. Better to spend a bit more money and invest in a PVR as they tend to be more reliable.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feel I have to point out after the last post that a pvr still has a digital tuner or tuners built in. So if you buy a Freeview pvr, you still have all the electronics inside that a basic freeview box has, infact you have 2 lots to allow for viewing of one channel while recording another, and you have additional hardware inside to make the recording onto (hard disc and maybe DVD/BluRay as well) with a whole a massive piece of software to make it all work. PVRs of all types (that inc Sky, Freesat as well) have a far greater potential to crash or breakdown than just a basic box.
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I wouldn't buy a Freeview box now. Better to spend a bit more money and invest in a PVR as they tend to be more reliable.

Don't buy any new Freeview box. You should only look for FreeviewHD box i.e. one which supports DVB-T2/MPEG-4 (with or without recording facilities).

All Freeview will change to DVB-T2 in the future - both HD and SD channels. Some channels may simulcast both the new and the old standard for some time (BBC 1 1,2,3, ITV and C4 does that now), but som channels may just move directly to the new standard - and your Freeview TV will stay blank.

Lars :)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    reslfj wrote: »
    Don't buy any new Freeview box. You should only look for FreeviewHD box i.e. one which supports DVB-T2/MPEG-4 (with or without recording facilities).

All Freeview will change to DVB-T2 in the future - both HD and SD channels. Some channels may simulcast both the new and the old standard for some time (BBC 1 1,2,3, ITV and C4 does that now), but som channels may just move directly to the new standard - and your Freeview TV will stay blank.

Lars :)

^^^ Yep, that is a very valid point to consider and good on reslfj/Lars for mentioning it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    feel I have to point out after the last post that a pvr still has a digital tuner or tuners built in. So if you buy a Freeview pvr, you still have all the electronics inside that a basic freeview box has, infact you have 2 lots to allow for viewing of one channel while recording another, and you have additional hardware inside to make the recording onto (hard disc and maybe DVD/BluRay as well) with a whole a massive piece of software to make it all work. PVRs of all types (that inc Sky, Freesat as well) have a far greater potential to crash or breakdown than just a basic box.

See your point although I have 2 Freeview PVRS (one an HD one) as well as a Sky HD box and have had very few problems with any of these. They are a neater solution (recording as well as viewing all in one piece of equipment).
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a View21 pvr model VW107ZRH50W, I was wondering if there was anywhere I could try and maybe a bit more support for this model. I don't even know if its supported anymore because the help link doesn't work anymore, if I could find out who actually made this box then I could try there website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking on the web it pretty much seems to be a Bush BV21R050W, but still no luck finding what the latest firmware should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking on the web it pretty much seems to be a Bush BV21R050W, but still no luck finding what the latest firmware should be.
    Seems to be stuck in boot loop unless disconnected from the external Ariel... I suppose I could do a complete re-install....but then I'd loose all my recordings.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread was started in 2013 so not sure that any advice is relevant but if this is it, the reviews are dreadful both here and on Amazon, get your money back if you have just bought it, throw it in the wheelie bin if it is out of warranty.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/view21-vv107zrh32w-smart-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder-320gb/449-6458.prd?source=others
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread was started in 2013 so not sure that any advice is relevant but if this is it, the reviews are dreadful both here and on Amazon, get your money back if you have just bought it, throw it in the wheelie bin if it is out of warranty.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/view21-vv107zrh32w-smart-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder-320gb/449-6458.prd?source=others
    I've had it ages, and despite the reviews it's always been very functional especially as it has an iOS app
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    reslfj wrote: »

LOL!

That was in 2013, even a box purchased new today will have worn out before that happens! :D
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    LOL!

That was in 2013, even a box purchased new today will have worn out before that happens! :D

Very True

The way things are going DSO 2/700Mhz Clearance it is not going to happen between now and 2022

What a wasted opportunity
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    The way things are going DSO 2/700Mhz Clearance it is not going to happen between now and 2022

And only a partial migration to DVB-T2 after that!
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member

If it happens at all
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it will be full migration, spectrum is scarce, if Arqiva drags their heels and continues with both SD and HD dual services the government may well decide that they have too much spectrum and sell more off. By 2022 few people will be using SD anyway especially as over half the country have satellite or cable on their main sets and STBs are cheap.