Someone please explain Beyonce to me

Comments

• SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    In Utero didn't receive universal acclaim, mainly good but not universal.
    'Lemonade' has received more acclaim, it may not maintain that but listening to a bunch of people here blethering about what they don't like is ignoring 'Lemonade's critical acclaim. It finished on many critics best of 2016. So do people only acknowledge critical acclaim when they agree with it?

'Metal Machine Music' as a classic is probably an exaggeration but what was universally panned had a huge influence on industrial rock.,...and I think it's a classic simply because it exists.

As for the others, these albums had mixed receptions (despite your assertion) yet their reputations have improved over time. Hail to the Thief would qualify according to metacritic as having universal acclaim, what more do you want?

Why not address the point that albums may not be to your taste but that doesn't mean they aren't great. You missed out a few i note.

There were comments on here about 'Lemonade' being unlistenable...come on... or that Beyoncé should revert to the pop. She does something different, is it just possible that some of you don't get it? And won't ever get it?

I didn't say In Utero got universal praise. It got great reviews, and is generally considered a great album isn't it? It'll nearly always fall behind Nevermind which is their classic album.

Your confusing me with Hail to the Thief. First you said it was album that didn't get great reviews but is now considered a classic. Now you are saying it did actually get great reviews......The simple fact is it's a middling Radiohead album - OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows (and normally The Bends) are all higher regarded. Hail is battling with Anmesiac & King of Limbs in the positions below, above Pablo Honey. Moon Shaped Pool is to new to fully say where it lies, but suspect I'll be with The Bends, just slightly below the 3 greats.

I missed two out because my knowledge of the Beastie Boys isn't enough to comment upon, and I generally agree with you on Exile.

Why shouldn't people call 'Lemonade' unlistenable? Metal Machine Music to me (and lots of others) is unlistenable - the concept is purely to piss people off, so technically it succeeds in it's concept and execution. Ironically if it's now a 'classic' then surely it's failed.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say In Utero got universal praise. It got great reviews, and is generally considered a great album isn't it? It'll nearly always fall behind Nevermind which is their classic album.

Your confusing me with Hail to the Thief. First you said it was album that didn't get great reviews but is now considered a classic. Now you are saying it did actually get great reviews......The simple fact is it's a middling Radiohead album - OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows (and normally The Bends) are all higher regarded. Hail is battling with Anmesiac & King of Limbs in the positions below, above Pablo Honey. Moon Shaped Pool is to new to fully say where it lies, but suspect I'll be with The Bends, just slightly below the 3 greats.

I missed two out because my knowledge of the Beastie Boys isn't enough to comment upon, and I generally agree with you on Exile.

Why shouldn't people call 'Lemonade' unlistenable? Metal Machine Music to me (and lots of others) is unlistenable - the concept is purely to piss people off, so technically it succeeds in it's concept and execution. Ironically if it's now a 'classic' then surely it's failed.

The point about mentioning those albums was to suggest simply that some albums reputations can change over time. So that even though posters reactions to 'Lemonade' are now negative they may change over time. It was just a list that came into my head, not much research. 'Classic' is pushing it with some of those but improved reputation is not.

I like what you say about the Radiohead albums and you accept the idea that there is a hierarchy of quality which is essentially derived from a critical recognition by people other than yourself over time. I am not a believer in the idea that quality in music is entirely subjective, TASTE in music is entirely subjective but quality is recognition by critics and listeners that some music has some value. I am suggesting that 'Lemonade' has considerable critical acclaim and just because some people don't 'get' it doesn't mean that it isn't quality.

As for 'Metal Machine Music' that was a reflection of the attitude of the writer at the time. It is a noise-based piece and in ways it is meant to be unlistenable. However, by using feedback in the way he did, Lou Reed did make use of noise as music, an idea which has informed a few artists after him, e.g. Nine Inch Nails, Jesus and Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Sigur Ros... so to me the rep of MMM has grown.

'Lemonade' is not unlistenable in that sense. It may be an album you won't or can't listen to but plenty find it quite listenable. I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like what you say about the Radiohead albums and you accept the idea that there is a hierarchy of quality which is essentially derived from a critical recognition by people other than yourself over time. I am not a believer in the idea that quality in music is entirely subjective, TASTE in music is entirely subjective but quality is recognition by critics and listeners that some music has some value. I am suggesting that 'Lemonade' has considerable critical acclaim and just because some people don't 'get' it doesn't mean that it isn't quality.

Reviewers listen to an album a handful of times over a very small period of time - then write a review which can define an album for years. I also believe reviewers can be influenced by reputations, not necessarily in a corrupt way.

Fan sites are a much better place to gauge quality of albums - get involved with forums/reddits and you soon get to gauge the fans general feeling to individual releases. Often you'll find an album that the critics loved isn't always a fan fav and visa versa. Fans always love to do ranking, polls and survivor games :)

I have no idea how Beyonce fans rank her album, a very quick look online I found this..
    http://www.soulinstereo.com/2016/05/ranking-the-best-beyonce-albums.html
    It's one person's opinion, which isn't overly useful - but in the comments there are a few fans doing there own order - and it looks like Lemonade averages out somewhere in the middle of the pack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 27/02/17 - 17:52 #80
    Reviewers listen to an album a handful of times over a very small period of time - then write a review which can define an album for years. I also believe reviewers can be influenced by reputations, not necessarily in a corrupt way.

Fan sites are a much better place to gauge quality of albums - get involved with forums/reddits and you soon get to gauge the fans general feeling to individual releases. Often you'll find an album that the critics loved isn't always a fan fav and visa versa. Fans always love to do ranking, polls and survivor games :)

I have no idea how Beyonce fans rank her album, a very quick look online I found this..
    It's one person's opinion, which isn't overly useful - but in the comments there are a few fans doing there own order - and it looks like Lemonade averages out somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Do fans not have an inherent bias towards an artist, hardly much use if you want an objective view of an artist or album?
    I want to read someone who is widely listened, succinct, witty and honest.
    I think it reviewers/critics/commentators revisiting albums who provide the best views.

The first wave of comments which are generally favourable to 'Lemonade' may not stand the test of time, of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 27/02/17 - 17:58 #81

Fans aren't much use, they are inherently biased towards an artist or music, so I wouldn't rely on them for assessments, good for general knowledge though.

I would rely on reviewers who are widely listened, succinct, witty and honest.
    Often it is critics/commentators/reviewers like that who revisit and album and provide the best views.

Whilst 'Lemonade' has received favourable reviews at this time, that may not last, of course.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fans aren't much use, they are inherently biased towards an artist or music, so I wouldn't rely on them for assessments, good for general knowledge though.

Often it is critics/commentators/reviewers like that who revisit and album and provide the best views.

Whilst 'Lemonade' has received favourable reviews at this time, that may not last, of course.

As someone who loves Little Mix would you rather someone who was mildly interested in the band engage with some fans, or check out their metacritic scores (which aren't very impressive)?
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    I've never 'got' Beyonce, it's a mystery to me. However, I can understand Adele being embarrassed at winning her awards, her album is average at best!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the odd Beyoncé track but I don't get the massive love for her either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone who loves Little Mix would you rather someone who was mildly interested in the band engage with some fans, or check out their metacritic scores (which aren't very impressive)?

I find it hard to be objective about Little Mix. I've followed their story and I like the four girls who got a second chance.
    I would love them to develop the kind of artistic sensibilities Beyonce has but they are still part of the machine.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I love her later work. She's experimenting with different things, bringing out a full album without breaking it down to singles, then the visual album, lemonade. She's an amazing performer, one of the best these days. And tbh, I love how her success gets under people's skin. She performed at the super bowl with Coldplay and Bruno Mars, and the think pieces written about it was insane. Police unions were giving her flack for it. Is there other performer, who's been told to stick to performing, and leave politics out of her public image?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 01/03/17 - 19:46 #87

I see Little Mix and myself are at one on the quality of Beyoncé!
    http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2017/02/rep-your-ladies-little-mix-interview-beyonce?utm_campaign=fuse&utm_source=twitter&campaign=scl|twt|fsc&utm_medium=social

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 02/03/17 - 12:08 #88
    Praising Bey is very much part of the machine at the minute. I'd found it far more interesting if one (or more) had said they aren't much of a fan, and they'd rather listen to 'Seasons In The Adyss' or 'South of Heaven' :)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praising Bey is very much part of the machine at the minute. I'd found it far more interesting if one (or more) had said they aren't much of a fan, and they'd rather listen to 'Seasons In The Adyss' or 'South of Heaven' :)

Oh come on. People haven't just suddenly started praising her. She's had a career in the music industry for 20 years and has been popular for a long, long time. She improves and changes constantly and keeps things fresh and keeps people guessing.

• pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a vile hypocrite and should no way be a "role model" for any women let alone young girls.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 05/06/19 - 11:54 #91
    She should stick to catchy stuff - which is what she does best.

The "political" stuff is just boring and if people wanted to hear that surely they wouldn't listen to a privileged black girl. Not surprised her last efforts have been flops basically.

I remember the Adele speech - I was with an American friend and he likes Adele and he was annoyed she would say that as he thought Adele's album was definitely more worthy than Beyonce's . To be honest I would have gone with Adele too... Hello was a big hit and far more memorable than anything on this Lemonade. It's all a radio-friendly pop ballad should be - what more can anyone want?
  • PiratejosherPiratejosher Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peronsally i feel the Destiney's Child/Britney Spears/Aguilera/Pink wave of hot Pop music was quite the revelation re-Millenium and marked the last real shift of transitional Pop music.... late 90s and early 00s was truly a pinaccle.... and i was a Destiny's Child fan.... but oddly enough found Beyonce's debut album very...flat.... Crazy In Love was a great anthem and i loved the Donna Summer samples on it... but as aa debut it was very bland and weak.

B'Day in 2006 (2005 - 2009 was IMO the last real HUGE Pop era) was when i took more of an interest in her solo efforts... big singles, great visuals and overall as an album it worked... it felt like that was more of a debut! Almost like her True Blue, her Control, her Nightclubbing real big PUSH to show the world what she can do and can be with a geuinely great album....very underrated IMO despite the commercial success.

I Am.... Sasha Fierce I feel really brought home the ideaNina Simone of concept albums used in a mainstream way again.... Outkast a few years prior nailed it... and overall i feel she did with a distinctive vibe for the era, great aesthetics, her biggest singles hits to date (a decade ago) and i enjoy spnning both discs .....

4 I like a lot it has such a chilled, mellow vibe ... she owned Glastonbury that year and i feel really showcased that she can dance, properly manage to sing and own the stage and showcase that she is more than just hit singles and radio play but a genuine artist too.... arguably her greatest album of work IMO in a year drenched in Electropop (Gaga, Britney, Kesha, Kylie, Black Eyed Peas) Bubblegum/Power Pop anthems (Katy Perry, jessie J) or ADELE(!!) Beyonce stood out by taking influence from Motown, Fela Kute, Nina Simone and created such a excellent album that she hasn't matched IMO.

BEYONCE, the Visual Album.... it is a very very close second.... it is dark, moody, exerimental and clinical ... and also I think genuinely shook everyone when it was released.... the visuals paid a lot of references to Madonna, Prince, Donna Summer, Tina Turner (soe of her major influences) and also musically really dared to go there publicly with her feelings too ... it is a bit of an enigma in and of itself and i feel why she has a reputation now.... it divided some fans and i feel put casual listeners off her maybe as there wasnt any significan HIT material despite Drunk In Love getting airplay and XO too.... but when I play it i get immersed like i do on Madonna's Erotica album or Prince Sign O The Times or Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John... it's an album to play to immerse yourelf i feel rather than "enjoy" on a basic level like her IASF, B'Day albums maybe?

LEMONADE as many fans have said and i agree it is a fantastic visual album, it tells a story and when it was released it made great impact and discussions..... and proved lightening can strike twice.... and this is a bold new way to release music (it surprises me more are not trying it) But i do not feel time has bee nas kind to the album... the whole sensationalism of her and jay Z marital status inda eplipsed it and most people genuinely didn't care for it.... This was i feel with Formation an attempt to do a Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation album but it wasn't as effective.... and the fact so many writers and producers are on it kinda also distrats from the sincerity of the music sadly.... but overall i will say it is a great album.... but nowhere near the acclaim it got when released.

Personally ... I would adore if next Beyonce went away from these really heavily edited, urban, hip hop focused albums and made a full on Disco/Soul album nextfor something different.... when she released 4 is was different from the Pop landscape, when she released her first visual album it was different.... i feel we need her to shake it up again.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Her last good song was Halo. Over 10 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Her last good song was Halo. Over 10 years ago.

Again, matter of discussion aand taste.... All Night i feel is a more quality and impactful ballad but alas ;-)

Halo is also written by Ryan Tedder... he knows how to pen a pop ballad
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One word...Coachella. Nobody else could have done what she did. It was incredible.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’m still waiting for her Kelis “Fleshtone” album of house/trance bangers.
  • max_garfieldmax_garfield Posts: 3,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word...Coachella. Nobody else could have done what she did. It was incredible.

What did she do?
  • Davy_rocksDavy_rocks Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Beyonce needs explaining she's an icon with over 20 years in the business she deserves respect. Her time in destinys child was huge as was her solo career. That's not saying I've liked every album there are quite a few dodgy songs.

If you really want to know the fuss about her listen to lemonade it's the best album she's ever done I guarantee you will be impressed with songs like all night long,freedom,daddy lessons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

yeah I mean.... that was a pretty non top show... whilst i wouldnt say it was ICONIC as say something that Madonna, Bowie, Prince, Grace Jones would or have done it was totally defining... and i feel whenever an artist GOES THERE with theatrics, choreography, staging as well as bring hit after hit, big song after big song and remain consistent for hours..... THAT is what i feel should be praied...

Not meaning to be jibey or derogatory BUT .... look at Coachella this year....... I mean Ariana Grande had all the hype and what did she actually do.....theres soso many mediiocre or bland cookie cutter stuff out there that when the likes of Madonna bringss holograms into live performance, or Gaga goes full on musical theatre or Beyonce does non stop tour de force show that offers entertainment and social satire then... yes i am for that in Pop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

sorry @Makson meant to have quoted this

But yes like i said I feel Beyonce going Diso/Funk and Electrofunk would be PERFECT next... i mean...yes! as she approaches 40 we need her ray of Light album coming up net..... come on Bey give us something incredible.
  • Davy_rocksDavy_rocks Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

That was an excellent album