Options

Is this the worst Hollyoaks has ever been?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
Forum Member
Can it get better?

Discuss?

Comments

• Options
    mystery23mystery23 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's that bad really. It's been much worse before - like both time Claire returned
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    It's been diabolical for a long time now.
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know but I've not liked it for a while not since the Sienna/Dodger storyline.

All we seem to get now is deaths, murders and kidnaps.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Its been at its worst for a long time now, and no I dont think it can get better I think its beyond help.
  • Options
    mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's that bad the cancer storyline is the most interesting at the moment.
    The amount of murders are crazy though. We haven't gone back to the storyline Nico trying to kill Sienna for a while either. The worst story so far is Cleo covering for Holly then running to Pete .
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have the guy who plays Freddie submitted as best actor for the soap awards you KNOW the show is in a bad state
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point, dubgaz:D
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way Hollyoaks can get better is start a gain by having a huge clear out, have Warren and Brendan back as the show's only villains, and keep it more family centered for the next few years, with no stunts. but have some gritty storylines with Warren and Brendan,( Sorry Warren is coming back i forgot)
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    The only way Hollyoaks can get better is start a gain by having a huge clear out, have Warren and Brendan back as the show's only villains, and keep it more family centered for the next few years, with no stunts. but have some gritty storylines with Warren and Brendan,( Sorry Warren is coming back i forgot)

Don't see Brendan coming anytime soon, seems the actor doing ok for himself.
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Don't see Brendan coming anytime soon, seems the actor doing ok for himself.

Yes he is, its a shame as he really did leave a lasting impression on soap genre.
  • Options
    soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,907
    Forum Member
    Ironically BK has damaged it beyond repair following an impressive original stint.

Charlie Clapham is nothing but an embarassment.

The writers are in lala land.

BK's ideas for the show are warped and twisted as is the gratuitous nudity.

It's absolute garbage, I don't even know why I'm still watching :blush:
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    It isn't that bad to be honest.

I still find myself interested in the storylines, true it's not perfect, but what soap is?

I think the case with Hollyoaks is that it can't kick the "bimbo" stigma.

Most people who haven't even watched it will say "It's full of bimbos isn't it?" when asked if they watch Hollyoaks.

True, maybe it used to be, but I wouldn' say it is full of "bimbo" type characters these days, they have actually got some decent actors.

It's not their fault they are given poor material.

C4 do need to grow some balls and get rid of Berkwood & his team though, see what a post Berkwood Hollyoaks could be like.
  • Options
    AEC2600AEC2600 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you find the lawn more race episode more interesting then some of the nonsense being churned out, you know the show is definitely in a bad way. I think it could be brought back from the brink, but it would take a lot of work and for kirkwood to go.
  • Options
    topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything on HO is just way Ott Always the same murder affairs boring tri angles some stunt Everyone miserable Repeat but for some reason I keep watching
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dubgaz wrote: »
    When you have the guy who plays Freddie submitted as best actor for the soap awards you KNOW the show is in a bad state

:D:D:D
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    As a longterm fan of the show, I'd say its in a bad way. I've recently switched to Neighbours, which, interestingly, has morphed into Hollyoaks of the older days. Watch Channel 5 at 10pm tonight for Lassiters explosion.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iv just watched tonights C4 episde, I think its really good at the moment. the friendships, the brothers of Darren and Joe, even the storylines are not half bed

Definitely not in the doldrums in my opinion
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,472
    Forum Member
    I think that Hollyoaks is so bad these days that it is beyond repair. Lately they have been turning serious storylines in to jokes e.g. John Paul rape storyline and the Cleo storyline. They start out good but slowly and surely they are ruined because they have been dragged out and stupid things keep being added to them like for example why does Cleo keep going back to Pete? Why does Hollyoaks have so many serial killers? Why was Linsay picked as the Glove killer? Linsay being the Gloved killer doesn't really make sense. Why does Warren need to return?
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst its ever been? No way of recovering? Hark at the ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Embarrassing.

No its fine. The odd inconsistency or contrivance. The GHK storyline is coming to an end and being built up with Lindsey going on the run. Most seem to love the teenage cancer storyline. A great stunt with a shock death last week has led to a new development in the Pete and Cleo saga. Trevor and Sienna are a winning couple and whatever their plan is its bound to be exciting. The Freddie/Marnie/Ellie triangle is a bit of fun though I don't care for it.

There's decent stories being told but the show is at an unfortunate position where even the slightest error results in people ripping it to shreds. A change in EP could do some good though. Still surprised they haven't taken the hint from the other soaps and gone with a change.
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks is a weak and poor imitation of it's former self... When you look back to times when Hannah Ashworth suffered with Anorexia and when Craig and John Paul got together, or even further back when Lucy Benson became addicted to heroin due to the evil Rob Hawthorn (A villain who didn't need to murder 15 cast members in 1 year to be evil) the show is a total joke now!

Instead of hard hitting, emotional character driven stories it's all sensationalism, big explosions and several serial killers running around bumping people off... It's like Hollyoaks producers are just taking the mick out of us to see how far they can push it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Worst its ever been? No way of recovering? Hark at the ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Embarrassing.

they are all accurate you mean. The show is mostly Embarrassing itself. A shame really as when it is good it can be fantastic viewing.
    No its fine. The odd inconsistency or contrivance.

The odd? You must be watching a different show. I'm afraid it's not fine. The story ideas for the most part are decent but the execution and the pointless twists make them a joke and eventually ruin them.
    There's decent stories being told but the show is at an unfortunate position where even the slightest error results in people ripping it to shreds.

slightest error? Hardly. Whatever the show gets stick for these days is mostly deserved. If the storys were all told properly without the nonsense then they would be decent. Take the cancer story line and trienna. Good at the moment but will likely be ruined.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually enjoying it :blush: it's the best soap for pure escapism. There I said it, do to me what you will :D
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    2009/2011 was much worse.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I think I'm gonna stop watching (which is about once a fortnight) I find myself catching up. Why? Not because it's in any way decent, I just find it a guilty pleasure.

It's almost satire the way it's written.

The plots are just bonkers and makes you suspend belief most of the time.

The latest Cleo / Holly one for me is probably the most stupid. Started off interesting but why is Cleo now willing to go to prison for her friend? It's just dumb beyond belief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I think I'm gonna stop watching (which is about once a fortnight) I find myself catching up. Why? Not because it's in any way decent, I just find it a guilty pleasure.
    It's almost satire the way it's written.
    The plots are just bonkers and makes you suspect belief most of the time.
    The latest Cleo / Holly one for me is probably the most stupid. Started off interesting but why is Cleo now willing to go to prison for her friend? It's just dumb beyond belief.

I agree. It's a guilty pleasure, and it's very addictive. The plots are a joke or at least become a joke after a while