Changing car ownership

Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,439
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Got a question. What does the process of changing the ownership of a car involve?

Do both parties have to sign something? (Otherwise what would there be to stop someone just signing a car over to someone else without their knowledge?)

Reason I ask is an ex of mine transferred his car into my name on the DVLA's system. Would that have required my signature?

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave this a try but couldn't get very far through the pages as didn't have the relevant reference number etc.

Was wondering if anyone knew off the top of their heads how this works?
  • Paulius55Paulius55 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    The original registered keeper signs the V5C document to declare that the details of the new keeper are correct. The new keeper then signs to declare that the vehicle was sold or transferred to them and that the details are correct.

If this vehicle was transferred to you then the original keeper must have forged your signature.

Now you, as the new keeper, are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is taxed and insured or declared off-road. You will also be the first port of call for any speeding/parking violations.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the new procedure it can all be done online and only the original Registered Keeper (who need not be the owner of the vehicle) needs to be involved.

They should hand you a tear off section of the V5C registration document and can then chuck the rest in the bin and do the rest on the DVLA website. The new Registered Keeper should get a new V5C document within 5 days and possibly an e-mail confirmation if their e-mail address has been entered by the original keeper.

https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y/no/sold-your-vehicle-privately
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/92483/new-v5c-log-book-rules-full-guide-for-car-buyers-and-sellers
  • Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paulius55 wrote: »
    The original registered keeper signs the V5C document to declare that the details of the new keeper are correct. The new keeper then signs to declare that the vehicle was sold or transferred to them and that the details are correct.

If this vehicle was transferred to you then the original keeper must have forged your signature.

Now you, as the new keeper, are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is taxed and insured or declared off-road. You will also be the first port of call for any speeding/parking violations.

Just as I thought. >:(This happened in 2011, and it turns out that the vehicle had been put into my name since November 2010.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good_boys wrote: »
    Just as I thought. >:(This happened in 2011, and it turns out that the vehicle had been put into my name since November 2010.

Have you not got the V5C document then? Even back then if you changed the Registered Keeper's name and address you will have been sent a new V5C document. Unless of course you were living at the same address as your ex at the time and the letter from the DVLA was intercepted before you saw it and you have subsequently moved.

Might be worth having a word with the DVLA about this.