Options

Mitrapazine. Anyone take this?

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a long history of anxiety and depression. I am on 40mg Citalopram and have been about 10 years. My anxiety has been really bad lately and I have just been prescribed mitrapazine. I was offered Amitriptyline first but I had that a while back and it gave me such a dry mouth plus I was so tired and sleeping all day so I turned that down. Now I am reading about the side effecst of mitrapazine and I am reluctant to take it. One major thing for me is the possibility of weight gain. I have always struggled with my weight and two years ago managed to diet and exercise down and lose 6.5 stone so I was a size 12 again. I was diabetic from the execssive weight gain and I do not want all that work to be undone. I know people will say just ignore the hunger but it;s not that easy if a tablet is making you feel starving.

Does anyone take this? I haven't read much postitive stuff online about this and now I am stressing out. Is it actually any good for anxiety?

I was on a short course of Chlordiazepoxide (librium) recently for alcohol withdrawl and that is a drug that also treats anxiety and it worked wonders and I was so much more happy and relaxed but my doctor won't prescribe anymore as he says it's addictive.

Any advice guys? Btw I have a new doctor as my old one retired so it's not been easy to get across how bad I actually am. My old doc knew. I was ok on the citalopram for years but the last year it's been hell with my anxiety. This is the third time now I have spoken to him about this.

Comments

• Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean ' Mirtazapine '?

I have recently been put on this after having problems with escitalopram.

I took it for one night and suffered so badly the next day with tiredness and awful headaches, I didn't bother to take any more.
    I will be telling my GP that I no longer want any medication and will be dealing with my issues myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I took it for one night and suffered so badly the next day with tiredness and awful headaches, I didn't bother to take any more.
    I will be telling my GP that I no longer want any medication and will be dealing with my issues myself.

Yes sorry that's it. I don't like the sound of that!!!! I am currently suffering badly enough with sinus headaches and I don't need more. I also do not want to be tired all day. I wish I could just keep on hat helps. It was actually a low dose and if it helps me with no side effects then why not give it to me. I may try the new tablets for a night or two and see, I'm not sure yet.
  • Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone reacts differently to any medication, so what affects me badly may be ok for you.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'll give it a go and see. You read all these side effects and it puts you off but like you said we all react differently. If I don't get on with it I just won't take it. Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on it since 2012 and it's been a Godsend. It does make you tired at the start and does increase my appetite slightly but my insomnia is a rare thing now and on the whole I feel a lot better than I did before I started taking it.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I took it for one night and suffered so badly the next day with tiredness

I did the same. I took it in the evening it was prescribed and slept for about 15 hours. The next afternoon I had an incredibly wooly head. Unfortunately I was in the middle of uni deadlines that I didn't want to be messing about with so I didn't take it anymore.

However, it's supposed to be very good and the tiredness passes. I will certainly consider it again if I find myself struggling and am able to have a few days tiredness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    I've been on it since 2012 and it's been a Godsend. It does make you tired at the start and does increase my appetite slightly but my insomnia is a rare thing now and on the whole I feel a lot better than I did before I started taking it.

Thanks. I too have insomnia so that and anxiety is why I've been prescribed it. I will just have to be careful with my eating if I feel hungrier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will try it an report back guys. Anything is worth a go I suppose.
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    They gave me the most terrifying hallucinations and that was after just one dose.

With anti depressants I think it's often a case of trial and error.

Best wishes
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure my mate took this and he says it really helped with his depression
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I've been taking it for 5 weeks now. I was prescribed 15mg last year, but stopped taking it after two weeks because of weight gain and restless leg syndrome at night time.

This time I'm on 30mg and decided to stick it out. The tiredness is tough at first. It would knock me out, but by week four that started to wear off and now I'm comfortable taking it even if I know I've got a social evening ahead of me. I still get restless legs, but not as bad as the first couple of weeks.

I have had some weight gain, but I think most of that damage was done with the Olanzapine I was on previously. That is horrendous for weight gain.

My advice would be to try it. Don't read too much into other people's experiences as everyone's is different. There is chance you may not suffer any effects at all.

Another thing I noticed is my dreaming has become very vivid and often related to things going on in my mind. Most recently I've been dreaming that my mother isn't dead and has been alive the hole time. The dreams aren't unpleasant so I'm coping with that.

Feel free to message me. I was going to start a thread of my own asking for other people's experiences with anxiety so you may be able to help me too. :)
  • Options
    Charles2703Charles2703 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    TayTay wrote: »
    So I've been taking it for 5 weeks now. I was prescribed 15mg last year, but stopped taking it after two weeks because of weight gain and restless leg syndrome at night time.

This time I'm on 30mg and decided to stick it out. The tiredness is tough at first. It would knock me out, but by week four that started to wear off and now I'm comfortable taking it even if I know I've got a social evening ahead of me. I still get restless legs, but not as bad as the first couple of weeks.

I have had some weight gain, but I think most of that damage was done with the Olanzapine I was on previously. That is horrendous for weight gain.

My advice would be to try it. Don't read too much into other people's experiences as everyone's is different. There is chance you may not suffer any effects at all.

Another thing I noticed is my dreaming has become very vivid and often related to things going on in my mind. Most recently I've been dreaming that my mother isn't dead and has been alive the hole time. The dreams aren't unpleasant so I'm coping with that.

Feel free to message me. I was going to start a thread of my own asking for other people's experiences with anxiety so you may be able to help me too. :)

I'm so pleased that this drug is helping you and that you are managing the side effects. I take a fair amount of medication for chronic pain and also anti depressants.

I would agree very much tha side effects are different for everyone. I am on a slow release morphine tablet 3 times a day and I get zero side effects, i am very fortunate that I seem to be lucky and get hardly any side effects from medication. What I would say though was that when I started on Citalopram a good few years ago, it was one drug which did cause side effects (nausea, upset stomach, insomnia etc - the tremors were probably the most difficult to cope with - I felt like I was so,e kind of addict with the shakes!!! The truth was that side effects are generally worse in the first couple of weeks then they start to lessen over time. I know a few people who have had similar side effect to me on Citalopram but equally know other who have not had any. Sometime you just have to try and cope with the side effects and give your body a chance to adapt to the medication and over time a lot of side effects lessen.

I do hear many people who are scared to take medication after they read the side effects (Gabapentin is very commonly prescribed and the list of side effects is horrendous) - I read the list and never took them for about 10 weeks due to fear!!! When I finally got desperate to try to manage the pain, I took my first tablets and I never experienced a single one of their side effects.

I understand why drug companies have to list the side effects but I sometimes think that other than if you have allergies you should not read the side effects lists!!!

Wishing you all the best.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    when i was on it I did gain weight - it did its job but I couldn't handle the weight gain so came off it
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I've been on it for about 8 months now. I did feel very groggy for about 2 weeks but that settled down. I also felt a bit queasy for a few days but that passed quite quickly. My appetite did increase and I did put on weight. It did bother me a bit at first but I figured it was better to be happy and slightly overweight rather than thin and miserable.

Aside from being groggy for a couple of weeks and a bit queasy for a few days I've not really had any problems with it. I wish you luck with your treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    when i was on it I did gain weight - it did its job but I couldn't handle the weight gain so came off it

That's my worry as I was HUGE before. I lost all that and I do not want to start piling it on again. Plus I have bulimia which I am currently trying to stop. I've had a few slips but I may go back to it like before if I am eating a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided not to take it. I'm going to ask for somthing else.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask your GP to refer you for CBT instead. worked wonders for my anxiety riddled friend who didn't want to go down the taking drugs route.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't do me much good. We upped the dose to maximum but other than being more irritable I can't say I felt affected by it. I'm on Sertraline now and pretty stable though not very motivated.