Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as no one else has bothered....

I thought she wasn't bad, but her voice is yet untrained. It also changes when she uses a higher register.

Compare this to a trained contemporary jazz singer. Good intonation, always on the note, can hold long tones and can convey a lot of emotion.

Halie Loren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL9RrCyET3Q
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member

I thought she wasn't bad, but her voice is yet untrained. It also changes when she uses a higher register.

Compare this to a trained contemporary jazz singer. Good intonation, always on the note, can hold long tones and can convey a lot of emotion.

Halie Loren.

She has a beautiful voice, would love her doing a couple of rock songs.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it would be good music for a movie soundtrack, particularly a fantasy film.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked her voice so I checked out her stuff "Kings & Queens", wow I love it, as I'm really into Nightwish/Lacuna Coil etc this really appeals to me, I think I'm gonna have to buy the album.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Halie Loren.

For God sake you sound like Simon Cowell.
    There was nothing wrong with her voice. My problem is that I just thought the songs were boring to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    For God sake you sound like Simon Cowell.
    There was nothing wrong with her voice. My problem is that I just thought the songs were boring to be honest.

Hmm..

You seem to have got yourself rather agitated over an opinion which differs from your own. Conversely, I don't mind that you didn't agree. What you think, ain't that important to me.

I think her voice sounded just as I said it did.

Like it or not, it's something you'll just have to accept.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a beautiful voice, would love her doing a couple of rock songs.

She's pretty much just a jazz ballad singer. Travels the world playing at small to mid-sized venues. Lots of her recordings on YouTube.

Sings well live too. Here singing the same tune, at a record store before a local concert. How many contemporary singers sing this well with just a piano and drums backing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VAnnFl9WvI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

You seem to have got yourself rather agitated over an opinion which differs from your own. Conversely, I don't mind that you didn't agree. What you think, ain't that important to me.

I think her voice sounded just as I said it did.

Like it or not, it's something you'll just have to accept.
    I wouldn't say agitated. It's just that there's been a thousand times I've heard people sing on the X Factor and thought they'd got a good voice and then Cowell pipes up and says something about their voice needing a bit of this or bit of that. I'm sitting there thinking there's nothing wrong with his/her/their voice.
    What's the difference between her voice and a 'trained' voice. What was she doing that a trained voice would have done differently. Whatever it is I'm sure it wouldn't have upped her record sales. It's not as if she was singing out of tune or in the wrong key or whatever. Apart from that the singers voice is not what attracts me to a song. As long as they can half sing I'm more interested if the song has got a good melody. I mean you can have someone with a great voice but if the song is boring who wants to listen to it.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I
    What's the difference between her voice and a 'trained' voice. What was she doing that a trained voice would have done differently. Whatever it is I'm sure it wouldn't have upped her record sales. It's not as if she was singing out of tune or in the wrong key or whatever. Apart from that the singers voice is not what attracts me to a song. As long as they can half sing I'm more interested if the song has got a good melody. I mean you can have someone with a great voice but if the song is boring who wants to listen to it.

Absolutely....this lass seems to have a natural rock voice, to compare her with a 'trained' jazz singer doesn't really make much sense.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I discovered Leah some time ago when I was starting to get into gothic/symphonic rock. She really is very good. I follow her page on Facebook and she is really into castles and other gothic architecture, which I guess you might expect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say agitated. It's just that there's been a thousand times I've heard people sing on the X Factor and thought they'd got a good voice and then Cowell pipes up and says something about their voice needing a bit of this or bit of that. I'm sitting there thinking there's nothing wrong with his/her/their voice.

The length of this post suggested you were agitated.

I don't mind if you like her, in fact it makes no difference to me who you like or dislike. Why should it? I certainly wouldn't "go off on one," just because someone didn't have the same opinion as did I.

I did say.

It's a failing of many young singers that they have difficulty with long tones and having a consistent intonation, through the registers.

But as I said if you like her, that's fine by me.

Now let it go. 'nuff said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The length of this post suggested you were agitated.

I don't mind if you like her, in fact it makes no difference to me who you like or dislike. Why should it? I certainly wouldn't "go off on one," just because someone didn't have the same opinion as did I.

I did say.

It's a failing of many young singers that they have difficulty with long tones and having a consistent intonation, through the registers.

But as I said if you like her, that's fine by me.

Now let it go. 'nuff said.
    Now you ARE winding me up with comments like that.
    It's nothing to do with the fact you've got a different opinion to me. It was what your opinion was rather than the fact it was different to mine.

Anyway, my problem with young singers is that they sing about forty notes when one will do. For eg. in the 70s you might have had Barbra Streisand singing one long note but if a young singer did a cover of that song she'd sing about forty, going up and down and up and down etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with the fact you've got a different opinion to me. It was what your opinion was rather than the fact it was different to mine.

I think, as I said, that comparing this lass, who is a rock singer, to a 'trained' jazz singer isn't helpful. They're two completely different things really.

Seems that some opinions are more valid than others though, don't it wind you up though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, my problem with young singers is that they sing about forty notes when one will do. For eg. in the 70s you might have had Barbra Streisand singing one long note but if a young singer did a cover of that song she'd sing about forty, going up and down and up and down etc

Your prejudices are getting in the way of your objectivity.

My point was comparing the quality of the two voices, nothing to do with musical genre, now let it go.

I made my point and was prepared to move on, but you wanted to start another argument.

It amazes me why some people get themselves so wound up over something as trivial as pop music.
    RikScot wrote: »
    I think, as I said, that comparing this lass, who is a rock singer, to a 'trained' jazz singer isn't helpful. They're two completely different things really.

Seems that some opinions are more valid than others though, don't it wind you up though :)

Only some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »

ItsNick...

oops...wee typo there, should have said "don't let it wind you up though" :)