Options

ED Belle & The Doctor

ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
Forum Member
I missed an episode or two this week, but I did pick up on Belle trying to pick up the doctor or the other way round lol. So it is ok that she is pretending to be older than she is which I think is 17? But surely the Doc if he is the new doc in the village, would know exactly who she is and how old she is from her records?

Comments

• Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    I missed an episode or two this week, but I did pick up on Belle trying to pick up the doctor or the other way round lol. So it is ok that she is pretending to be older than she is which I think is 17? But surely the Doc if he is the new doc in the village, would know exactly who she is and how old she is from her records?

He is not her doctor.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    It's still ridiculous. She looks like a child. There's no way he would think she was of a suitable age for him.
  • Options
    ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    He is not her doctor.

I thought he was the new Doc in the village, wasnt he the one that David went to see?
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I thought he was the new Doc in the village, wasnt he the one that David went to see?

He may be the new doctor but a comment was made during the scene that he wasn't her doctor I think.
    Either way, I doubt he has memorised everybodies notes.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit odd, not that long ago he was dating Emma Barton
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder where the story will lead
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    It's still ridiculous. She looks like a child. There's no way he would think she was of a suitable age for him.

Currently watching the ITV2 omnibus and. Don't think you can claim Belle looks like a child.

She's turning into a very beautiful young woman but that Doctor is far too old for her.
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    We all know what's going to happen she will end up going out they will have sex and she will end up preggers as that is what usually happens in soaps. :D
  • Options
    emilybemilyb Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davejc64 wrote: »
    We all know what's going to happen she will end up going out they will have sex and she will end up preggers as that is what usually happens in soaps. :D

And all her plans for going to college will go up in smoke & she'll end up in the sweet factory or behind the bar of the woolpack
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think his practice is in the village itself, it could be in town so his patients would consist of more than just the village residents.

Also when he briefly dated Emma they had a couple of dates in the Woolpack and as Belle does not go in there very often due to her age she wouldn't have bumped into him at that time
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eden herself certainly doesn't look like a kid anymore, they really seem to make Belle seem youngish, maybe it is because of a storyline
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    It is a bit a weird storyline. I like Belle, and I like Doc Jermaine, and I get why she might have a crush on him - but for him to reciprocate when she's obviously no older than 17/18 makes him look like a creep.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I think she could easily pass as 19/20 and he thinks she's a university student so I don't think it's that weird. Besides, he doesn't look too old himself. I enjoyed their scenes together at any rate.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bit a weird storyline. I like Belle, and I like Doc Jermaine, and I get why she might have a crush on him - but for him to reciprocate when she's obviously no older than 17/18 makes him look like a creep.

17/18 is over the age of consent. She's as much a woman as someone of 22/23 is and I don't see anything wrong with the doctor - who I think is only supposed to be about 30 - fancying her.
    It's no different than Kirin & Vanessa.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder how old the doctor thinks Belle is. But fair play to her
  • Options
    grangehilllovergrangehilllover Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17/18 is over the age of consent. She's as much a woman as someone of 22/23 is and I don't see anything wrong with the doctor - who I think is only supposed to be about 30 - fancying her.

Belle is over 16, but she is also under 18 and Dr Bailey is in a position of trust and that. I think this might lead to one of them storylines where he has a relationship with an underage girl...
  • Options
    Forum Member

I know, and she's welcome to sleep with him if she wants, but she's very emotionally immature. In fact there's a world of difference in emotional terms between 17 and 23.

Like I said, I can see how she would want to. What I can't see if why an adult professional man would want to start a relationship with such a young girl. I guess he's not supposed to realise, but it seems obvious to me.

The parallel with Vanessa is interesting because I also thought she was very stupid starting a relationship with Kirin, and it put me off her quite a bit. So no, not much difference.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder how old the doctor thinks Belle is. But fair playt to her

During that conversation he assumed she was at university and she didn't put him straight.
  • Options
    SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, and she's welcome to sleep with him if she wants, but she's very emotionally immature. In fact there's a world of difference in emotional terms between 17 and 23.

Like I said, I can see how she would want to. What I can't see if why an adult professional man would want to start a relationship with such a young girl. I guess he's not supposed to realise, but it seems obvious to me.

The parallel with Vanessa is interesting because I also thought she was very stupid starting a relationship with Kirin, and it put me off her quite a bit. So no, not much difference.

Absolutely agree. Its very questionable behavior for a respected/trusted professional to say the least. It would sure raise my eyebrows if I had a doctor who I found out was romantically involved with someone barely legal.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not sure about the storyline. Belle is a Dingle and Cain ain't going to be happy about little Belle going out with a man much older than herself.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SS_Summer wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Its very questionable behavior for a respected/trusted professional to say the least. It would sure raise my eyebrows if I had a doctor who I found out was romantically involved with someone barely legal.
    SPOILER
    Particularly since I think I've read that he's married.
    >:(
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    SPOILER
    Oddly enough they didn't seem to mention that while he was "dating" Emma last year. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SS_Summer wrote: »

Well I guess it is a bit like the Vanessa story - he'll get involved with her and then find out how young she is, and then it'll be all about what he does then.
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    SPOILER

No way! Oh, Jermaine. >:(
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Oddly enough they didn't seem to mention that while he was "dating" Emma last year. :confused:
    They hadn't thought of it then.:D
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor just happened to be walking through the village when Belle hurt her wrist...he just happened to have a first aid kit on him....he treated Belle's injury on a table outside the pub - without washing his hands first...he didn't send her to A & E for an Xray to find out if anything was broken. I know it is only Soapland, but they need to make the storylines at least plausible.