Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely I'd say. Perhaps he feels a bit overshadowed. I'm not convinced Henderson should be our next Captain but overall he's put in better performances when he's had that responsibility this season.

Good point there, when he does turn up he is a superb player, but having said that, there is no player bigger than club, we need all the team to turn up every match. I hope that Rodgers does keep his job, but also hope that we do shift some deadwood in the summer, even if that means getting rid of Johnson to Korea or somewhere like that.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So people want the guy who is currently 9th in his league with a half decent side? To lay everything at Rodgers' door when we've been hamstrung by injuries and individual players' stupidity is reactionary and petulant. If you want to fairly judge BR post Suarez, at least give him a decent crack at it - I'd really love to know the workings of this transfer committee, for example, before I make any comment - I can't believe BR had such a change of heart about Mario's merits as a potential Liverpool player.

We can't compete financially with three of the top four whomever we put in charge - and FFP means we can't catch up any time soon either. To be as close as we are given the loss of Sturridge for most of the season is commendable and it won't take a semi final loss to change my view.

With the shadow of Gerrard about to lift and the distraction of Mario and possibly Sterling hopefully solved in the summer, I think we owe it to BR to allow him a less disruptive season to prove he's the long term answer or not.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    ]
    Villa had at least as long an injury list as us and they lost a key defender early on.

On paper we had by far the better team but most of them played poorly whereas most of Villa's players played above themselves.

I don't blame Brendan, I blame the awful on the pitch performance.

Villas injury list is not in dispute - I think the positivity at their club in spite of it is fantastic. There are others too which have far less resources than us - Palace? West Brom? Southampton? to name but 3 who are similar.

I think Pardew at Palace, Pulis at WBA, Sherwood at Villa and Koeman at Southampton are key reasons for this and so we do at least have to ask if BR could have done better n getting our team up for it. But you are right the players have to take the main responsibility for what happened, in many ways for me one of BRs fault is that he is too loyal to them always telling them how well they have played and how great they are - personally I think some of them need a bomb behind them!!
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    So people want the guy who is currently 9th in his league with a half decent side? To lay everything at Rodgers' door when we've been hamstrung by injuries and individual players' stupidity is reactionary and petulant. If you want to fairly judge BR post Suarez, at least give him a decent crack at it - I'd really love to know the workings of this transfer committee, for example, before I make any comment - I can't believe BR had such a change of heart about Mario's merits as a potential Liverpool player.

We can't compete financially with three of the top four whomever we put in charge - and FFP means we can't catch up any time soon either. To be as close as we are given the loss of Sturridge for most of the season is commendable and it won't take a semi final loss to change my view.

With the shadow of Gerrard about to lift and the distraction of Mario and possibly Sterling hopefully solved in the summer, I think we owe it to BR to allow him a less disruptive season to prove he's the long term answer or not.

Regarding klopp, I guarantee that if we had him in charge and we were lying in 9th place this time next year. Fans who wanted him will be calling for him to be sacked.

It's crazy and very fickle.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Again, bitterly disappointed with our performance in a big game. It's true we just had too many important players not available, but too many of the ones who were on the pitch didn't seem to realise it was an FA cup semi-final.

We didn't deserve to win with that performance today, so well done to Villa and good luck to them; I hope they win it. Of course Balotelli's best moment of the season has to be wrongly chalked offside, ironic and totally symbolic of his season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personally I think some of them need a bomb behind them!!

That I agree with....
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think History speaks for itself plus he also lost a key player this year

I like Rodgers as a manager but i dont think he is ready for the big teams yet as his transfers over the past 3 years and tatics this season prove
  • Options
    bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great post. Yes he did get it wrong today but he was without two key players as well. This season has been unlucky as we've had a lot of injuries at different times.

Rogers deserves to stay, considering how he turned it around for us after that united game in December. I know it will come to nothing at the end of this season, but he still deserves credit
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rodgers was cautious in the sense we didn't look to press high and squeeze the game.

Did the importance of the game make his not be so risky?

Henderson isn't a captain. I like him but his not a leader and his also not a ball playing midfield player. His technically not good enough to try and be the one to recycle possession and play long passes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I think henderson will make a great captain, he just doesn't play as well when Gerrard starts also. Hopefully he'll prove himself next season as captain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bexmil89 wrote: »
    See I think henderson will make a great captain, he just doesn't play as well when Gerrard starts also. Hopefully he'll prove himself next season as captain

You can't blame someone else for his own poor performances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    You can't blame someone else for his own poor performances.

I didn't say it was gerrard's fault I was just giving my opinion that those two haven't played well together
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair with regards to Rodgers signings. I don't know which are his or the board/committees. He said last year he did not want Balotelli but a few weeks later he was a Liverpool player. Therefore blame should not be just placed at the managers door.

I do think Rodgers tactics were wrong today. I don't understand why the players were not up for today's game. May need stronger personalities next season the clubs philosophy of only buying young players may have to be look at. The club made an exception with Lambert although he has been a failure.

However Rodgers since he has been here younger players have done better Henderson and Sterling are examples of this. He is bringing younger players through like Ibe.

I think some fans are looking at just the negatives, need to be a bit more balanced.

Lots do need to be questioned. Sacking the manager is not the answer. The whole club has to be looked at. Rodgers should be given another season and he should be judged then - give this young team a chance of a season. Klopp may not be answer anyway if that is the manager preferred.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be honest, our FA Cup run has been pretty poor all season.

3rd round - Scraped past AFC Wimbledon
    4th Round - Taken to a replay by Bolton, scraped through the replay
    5th Round - Comfortably beat Palace, our only decent performance
    QF - Taken to a replay by Blackburn, scraped through the replay

We've ridden our luck a lot in this cup campaign, we were bound to get punished at some point if we didn't improve.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think History speaks for itself plus he also lost a key player this year

I like Rodgers as a manager but i dont think he is ready for the big teams yet as his transfers over the past 3 years and tatics this season prove

Eh? And we didn't lose a key slayer? Plus we also lost our second highest scorer from last season for virtually the whole season. I admire Klopp's achievements but this season isn't the one to either sing his praises nor bemoan Rodgers' failings - you can't have one rule for one and not apply it to the other - otherwise that may be seen as an unfair agenda (heaven forbid).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bexmil89 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was gerrard's fault I was just giving my opinion that those two haven't played well together

Last season Henderson and Gerrard were in the same side most weeks.

My biggest concern with Henderson is if the side isn't playing well his performances seem to suffer hugely. He struggles to impose himself on a game or should I say drag the team into a game when we are having a bad day.

Gerrard could do that.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My biggest concern with Henderson is if the side isn't playing well his performances seem to suffer hugely. He struggles to impose himself on a game or should I say drag the team into a game when we are having a bad day.

Gerrard could do that.

But Henderson is not in the same league as Gerrard.

You guys are in the same position as we were, when Keane was sold off. It took United years to find a 'solution' to that, and it was playing a different way, with Carrick being the conduit.

We now have the same problem again, as we need to replace Carrick. Trying to replace Gerrard is futile, in my opinion. You just find another way to play.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gerrard could do that.

Yeah I don't understand why it isn't working for them in some games this season as they played well together last season like you said.

I do understand your concerns, Gerrard has always been a big game changer and managed to bring Liverpool back from the brink. Henderson does still need to work on this. I guess we'll see who's appointed next season as captain
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but how can you go into a semi final against Aston Villa with no main strikers on the pitch.
    Rodgers is so out of his depth in this job. It's there for all to see.
    I mentioned it earlier in the season. Sure the team went on a great run of getting points but this team is far from convincing.
    That's near three years folks....how much more time does he need?

People listed players out today, well villa also had a few missing.

Let's cut our losses and let Rodgers go to a team where his 'tactics' can be put to use.

Work is not going to be fun tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamiesd wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how can you go into a semi final against Aston Villa with no main strikers on the pitch.
    Rodgers is so out of his depth in this job. It's there for all to see.
    I mentioned it earlier in the season. Sure the team went on a great run of getting points but this team is far from convincing.
    That's near three years folks....how much more time does he need?

People listed players out today, well villa also had a few missing.

Let's cut our losses and let Rodgers go to a team where his 'tactics' can be put to use.

Work is not going to be fun tomorrow.

If you think that not having balotelli or Lambert starting was a problem then I dunno man.. Think you are missing whole lot of the game.

We had a main striker on in the 2nd half and looked no better. Oh and I like the way how you mentioned 3 years in the job but made no mention of how good we were in BR 2nd season.

Nice swerve and pretty shameful that you clearly neglected it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? And we didn't lose a key slayer? Plus we also lost our second highest scorer from last season for virtually the whole season. I admire Klopp's achievements but this season isn't the one to either sing his praises nor bemoan Rodgers' failings - you can't have one rule for one and not apply it to the other - otherwise that may be seen as an unfair agenda (heaven forbid).

There was money to bring in goal scoring strikers yet it was wasted on mostly mid table eam players only 2/3 were good signings
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Anfield Rap this year then.
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    If you think that not having balotelli or Lambert starting was a problem then I dunno man.. Think you are missing whole lot of the game.

We had a main striker on in the 2nd half and looked no better. Oh and I like the way how you mentioned 3 years in the job but made no mention of how good we were in BR 2nd season.

Who took these strikers in?

Fantastic achievement 2nd last year. But why are we talking about it? It was last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »

You cant keep a manager because of his achievments the season before
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You cant keep a manager because of his achievments the season before

No but you judge a manager over the whole period. I feel BR still deserves to be in the job. I think Last season showed he has got what it takes.

If we wanna use your logic I guess that means you will be very unhappy if Klopp came in as he left dortnund in 9th position or does it not count when hiring a new manager?
This discussion has been closed.